On to Kentucky

• Alright boys and girls the showdown versus Kentucky is finally here.

How does everyone feel? What are your predictions?

• We make it three straight against UK. 81-75.

• I think we come out a little eeked out, get some bad fouls, throw up a few bricks, and we’re down at the half. Second half we come out and everybody is calm collected and we play our game, get the easy buckets and cruise to an 11 point victory. I like being a second half team, I recall we won a lot of close games down the stretch last year. RCJH.

• 94- 77. Ku wins.

• @KUSTEVE that would be sweet to wipe the floor with Cal like he did to us but I doubt it happens. If our shooters have solid games and we rebound well I could see a double digit win. 15+ if our shooters are hot.

• I predict that our experience will lead to a Kansas victory, esp. at this stage of the season. John Cal is bound to work toward foul problems for our bigs, hoping that athleticism of his frosh will curb our guards. If Jayhawks stay focused and out of the doghouse until Tues. eve I am wagering on a Kansas win, probably by more than six points. But I envision foul problems for a pair of our players, even though Bill Self is a super manager at shuffling minutes. Garrett’s debut minutes are an advantageous success, complicating Kentuck’s strategy and planning. Marcus worked fluidly with our improving offense; and he was not a defense negative. He even displayed a penchant for thinking a step ahead, whipping some nice passes. For a first regular season contest some of our team passing looked crisp and exciting.

• @HawkChamp Let them run that zone on us - we’ll throttle them.

• @KUSTEVE cal would only do it if we shred their man 2 man. Something tells me UK is going to be hyped for this game. Throw the Utah valley game out the window.

• I predict at least several…hundred squid references on these pages. Nauseating fawning statements about what an amazing coach he is. I predict one Kentucky player who will arrive at the gym in Chicago in a Lamborghini with a personal license plate. He’ll thank his rich uncle for the graduation gift. When asked what his rich uncles name is the kid will forget what his name is. I predict a Kentucky player in his 2nd career game will announce at the free throw line he is going pro just after bricking the FT. I predict another Kentucky player will get whistled for a foul and he’ll pull something green out of his sock that resembles a 100 bucks and then the ref will roll that the Kansas player actually fouled the Kentucky kid. I predict that Doke will foul 6’00" 160 LB Kentucky guard Brad Calipari so hard that the kid will literally break in half. Cal will be seen wiping a tear from his eye, and then go back to coaching the rest of the game saying his kid wasn’t tough enough for Kentucky anyways. I predict Rupp will come back and convince the AD to change their name to KKKentucky. I predict that Cal will hire a new assistant coach named Pitino. Cal will be heard saying Pitino can bring a lot to the team. I predict Kentucky will declare themselves pro at halftime and stay in the lockerroom and don the Bulls uniforms. I predict that Kentucky’s team lear jet will crash because of all the cash on board weighing the plane down. I predict 90% of these predictions will come true.

• A lot of folks on rupp rafters are in meltdown mode already.

I watched portions of their game and read what happened and it sounds like they scored a lot in transition. Just like last year, we have to keep them in the half court.

• HawkChamp said:

A lot of folks on rupp rafters are in meltdown mode already.

I watched portions of their game and read what happened and it sounds like they scored a lot in transition. Just like last year, we have to keep them in the half court.

Yeah when they switched to a zone UVU had no idea what to do. So they turned it over a bunch and UK got a bunch of transition dunks.

• @HawkChamp they don’t have any 🦊🦊 this year!

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@HawkChamp they don’t have any 🦊🦊 this year!

Their PG play is definitely not up to their normal, spoiled OAD legit NBA stud standard.

• Well I think we all know that Kentucky will be a different team come Tuesday then their contest against Utah Valley.

Think it will be a pretty good contest throughout the game but I can see KU stretching it out a little bit late - somewhere in between a 8-10 pt win. - -break the streak of losing to them in the champions classic. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• When a team plays zone against KU, I noticed that Self Has plugged Vick into the top of the key on offense where Josh dominated last year. Vick did every bit as well at that position last night. We’ve got the weave to find a driving lane vs M to M and Vick as the distributor or scorer vs Zone. I like that Self sent a message to Preston and Newman. Garret, Mitch and Clay gave us some good minutes last night. Our bench just got a little longer with Clay showing some 6’3" muscle. KU 79 - UK 70.

• UK will not know what KU team to expect. As soon as they start to figure it out KU switches from small to big or vice versa and UK’s lack of experience gets exposed. KU by double digits.

• @JayHawkFanToo my only concern is their length defensively. I still have flashbacks to the game a few years ago and against Oregon where our guards try to float stuff over their shot blockers and kept getting swatted. We need to have a plan for that, like shot fakes. That is my only concern.

• @HawkChamp hopefully the shot will be down before the length gets down the court!💨💨💨

• @HawkChamp

KU really does not have floater shooters, long range bombers neutralize height inside.

• @JayHawkFanToo hopefully the shots are falling. If not, could be a real battle if they arent.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I would say our transition offense needs to be opportunistic rather than making the entire game fast. As usual, Kentucky struggles in the half court, so I think we need to limit their opportunities and avoid giving up momentum plays and easy points.

• @HawkChamp

I wish Preston would have played Friday to get experience but I understand why he did not and agree he should have not.

• KU, 75-70. Kentucky makes it close at the end…

• Banned

I’m not sure UK is ready this early in the season for by all points a game against a veteran team like KU. Let’s not forget there are alot of players on this team that have beaten the mighty Wildcats the last two times they have played.

• @wissox

PHOF!

• I predict the FBI will not charge anyone at Kentucky.

• I’m excited to see Billy play against some athletic bigs and how amped up he is not playing Friday. I feel like tho we are short on depth, we actually have low post scoring for the first time since Embiid was here between Doke and Billy. I will always have high regards for LL but averaging 25 minutes and 8 points let’s the defense sleep on you a little too often. At this point I think I’d take Billy over Bragg and Alexander. Our guards have been among the best in the college game the last two years and I think this group can continue that trend this year. I know everyone says it he guards are what wins the NCAA tournament games and that maybe true but most recent NC teams have had at least one if not two good bigs.

• On a side note if anyone wants to get a scout on this years UK club they play today on ESPN at 2:30 against Vermont.

• @kjayhawks Go Catamounts!

• Kentucky is terrible right now. It doesn’t mean they can’t beat us but they don’t do anything well right now that should scare us. They have length at every position besides PG which will have an impact on our shooting if we don’t play smart and look for the open shot. Rebounding will be an issue if we don’t have guys locked in.

We should be double teaming them on any post touch and sagging off badly on most sets because they have 1 shooter on their team. Knox can get his shot off over anyone because his size so he’s the only other threat besides Green. Washington has some body you up game so we have to play him smart. If we play smart, make perimeter shots and rebound we will win

• I think Kentucky if they struggle will play zone as that was talked about in their game today. Calipari could use that change of defense to force our team into outside shots and slow the pace of the game down. This is a key thing to watch

• UK has size but it is very inexperienced with only one junior, who does not play much, and no seniors. They do have raw talent and no doubt they will get much better as the season progresses but right now they are not that good. Vermont came back from 12 points down at the half to pull within 3 and had a chance to tie the game and send it to overtime but they missed twice.

• BeddieKU23 said:

I think Kentucky if they struggle will play zone as that was talked about in their game today. Calipari could use that change of defense to force our team into outside shots and slow the pace of the game down. This is a key thing to watch

Bill Self will salivate when he sees a zone.

• @BShark I do too. Bill’s teams do a stupendous job of carving up zones. Helps that we can put four zone busters out there at a time, five if you count Billy.

• @HawkChamp

👍 Vick in the mid-post got Tenn St out of their zone pretty quick. UK’s zone looked uninspired, UVU just isn’t good.

• @BShark and Utah valley acted like they had never experienced a zone before. Vick looked real good in the middle. Of course, Kentucky is a bit longer than Tennessee State, but we need to spread the floor and hit our shots to force them out of the zone.

• @HawkChamp

Lightfoot was 2-2 from 3 point range last game, just sayin’…😉

• BShark said:

@HawkChamp

👍 Vick in the mid-post got Tenn St out of their zone pretty quick. UK’s zone looked uninspired, UVU just isn’t good.

UVM is a tournament team again. It was also their 1st game of the year. But 2 missed FT’s and 2 wide open three’s missed saved the day for Kentucky. Rupp was in full on panic that last two minutes. It’s hard for a team like UVM to match the size of Kentucky and that was the biggest difference for about 30 minutes of the game.

This is the worst Kentucky team I’ve seen since the Robert Morris NIT days. Who knows what that means for tomorrow but coming in KU has a clear advantage

• Hopefully, this will be a contest that shows the virtues of staying in school!

• @BeddieKU23 My 'Tucky buddy says they want to run- that they can only score in transition because they’re having trouble scoring in the half court. I watched part of the Tucky/Catamount game, and thought they looked much better than their UVU game. Tucky had such an athletic advantage over Vermont it was ridiculous, but Vt almost pulled it off due to their experience. I think we beat them by at least 15.

• @KUSTEVE I would like that to be true but it wouldn’t surprise me if Kentucky plays up to us after a couple of pretty bad performances.

Like beddie said, just keep them out of transition and we will be in good shape.

• @KUSTEVE

Will be interesting to see how it goes, I hope your right.

If they want to play a transition fast pace tempo game that favors us even more. I think the only way they can slow us down is to play a half-court game. If Self uses the film of their 1st two games to his advantage he’s going to notice just how little perimeter shooting they have. I just can’t imagine a team without a few knockdown shooters beating us.

The whistle is going to be very important as well. It just seems that the refs tend to muddy these games up on the big stage and disrupt flow and make it tough to get going. I hope that our guys play smart and don’t get into unnecessary foul trouble

• I always get excited about the first national televised game of the year. You never know which newcomer will be a “gamer”. Every basketball team always has guys that just seem to step up in spotlight games.

I’m leaning towards Malik tomorrow.

• Kentucky started five freshmen yesterday, did I read that right?

There is no way that we should lose this game. No way.

• @BigBad I’m thinking the same thing. Malik’s redemption.

• HighEliteMajor said:

Kentucky started five freshmen yesterday, did I read that right?

There is no way that we should lose this game. No way.

Yeah the only non-freshman that play are Gabriel and Killeya-Jones. 6 of their 8 in the rotation are freshman

• This is an important game individually for the guys who have draft aspirations after the season. There will be a ton of scouts for the games. Will be interesting to see how this team reacts to playing together or do we see guys try and make a name for themselves. This is where Frank Mason became a god last year.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Malik, Devonte & Vick have big games.

The scouts will also get their first look at Marcus. He’s going to turn some heads I think

• “He’s the one that stirs their coffee.” Cal says of Kansas’ Devonte’ Graham.

Of Bill Self and Kansas: “They’ve beaten us pretty good the last couple, so we’ll see.”

• @BShark They were ecstatic over beating the Catamounts. To hear the Squid talk about it, you’d think they beat UCLA during the Wooden era.

• @HighEliteMajor

Yes, they have a lot of talent but they are very young and very raw. If they develop to expectations, they will get much better but right now they do noy look that good and I believe KU should win going away. If the two close wins against inferior but experienced talent are an indication, this might be the year that inexperience really bites the squid in the rear end.