Langford

• @Kcmatt7

With they way Newman has played to date I’m not sure you want him back. I think we want the fresh slate to play the young guys and not have someone standing in their way. Newman so far is either just overrated or not playing to his abilities. Right now that would seem to be a mix of both.

Vick is the more important player. He’s taken a step forward in his role this season and if he’s back next season we have that go-to guy.

I think Langford’s decision is based more on Vick but maybe if Newman leaves he still see’s the opportunity here with a guard leaving. We could certainly trot out some exciting lineup combo’s if Langford joins a Vick, Grimes, Dotson, Moore, Garrett, Cunliffe perimeter

• @Kcmatt7

I really don’t think Lightfoot would be forced out; I can see Newman being forced out before Lightfoot.

In any case, I believe Newman came to KU to get exposure and improve his draft stock but looks like he has been exposed instead. He is way too inconsistent and perhaps overrated, although the jury is still out on this. I just don’t see him with NBA potential and overseas looks like the more likely destination and if that is the case, no need to stick around for an extra year.

• I’ll be shocked if Lightfoot is in the rotation next season with what we should have at the 4 next season. The Lawson’s are so much better then Mitch is currently. This would be the perfect scenario to redshirt him.

Just having the 5- Doke, Dave, D Lawson, KJ Lawson & De Sousa is a lot of mouths to feed. Some serious size and skill among those 5 guys.

• @BeddieKU23 Tell ya what. I don’t think you have to worry about Newman being a problem as far as keeping say like Langford away if he wanted to come. - -I really believe Newman is gone one way or another. - More likely then not oversea’s then the NBA - but one way or another he won’t be back.

Vick I fully believe will declare for the NBA -he has already some pretty decent improvement this year - I just think he is gone. Putting Langford in a position where he wouldn’t have either one here if he wanted to come. -Goin down to the wire between Ku & Vanderbilt. - -I know doesn’t really mean anything, cause we all know that the damn CB doesn’t mean much - -BUT as we also know he is down to the three Schools - -Indiana - Vanderbilt - & KU – but yet it only shows KU & Vanderbilt as warmer and Indiana at Warm for what that’s worth - -we shall see - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @BeddieKU23 Idk, “Malik Newman, Sixth Man”, has a nice ring to it if you ask me…

Malik is putting up almost identical numbers to Junior Devonte. So I just don’t think that we have fair expectations for the guy. I guess I’m just not seeing the same Malik everyone else is. To me, the guy looks like a very solid guard who just isn’t in sync with everyone else quite yet. He is shooting the 3 at a 40% clip. He is rebounding well for a guard. He is playing just as bad of defense as anyone else.

The truth is we expected Malik to shoot the 3 at a 50% clip, average 5 assists, be a great defender and show that he should be in the NBA already. Those were lofty expectations. But looking purely at the numbers, we can see that Malik has been a very capable college guard so far this season. And I’d love to have him back.

• @Kcmatt7

If Malik were to stick around another season there would be no doubt he starts right? 3rd year in the program and a bunch of upperclassmen leaving. Seems he’d be in line for a leadership role especially mentoring the young guys.

Of course much of what I stated is what I’ve seen so far of Malik. If he turns it around then we benefit and more importantly for him he likely benefits. We’ll see how it plays out. So far I’m fairly disappointed and I had lower expectations of him to begin with.

• @Kcmatt7 agreed. I’m expecting Malik to stay humble and hungry and figure it out.

• @BeddieKU23 lol I have no idea. All I know is that it is a problem I would like to have.

• I guess it doesn’t hurt to dream if that’s what you want. -I’m just saying from what Malik has aid in the past - what was highly conjectured his intention is to play the one year and then declare. - -He already tested the NBA and was told to come back If I remember right when he was at Mississippi State.

Even if he is not ready , and unless he makes a dramatic turn around he is not ready for the NBA. - -Starting to think he like some others stated MAYBE he might have been over rated but the scouts some - - it’s happened before. - I’m not seeing NBA on him at the present

On top of that I really don’t think their is an available spot for him as I think Coach Self went into the recruiting year fully with the belief that Malik was gone after this year. - - There is where Grimes was recruited to take Malik spot. - Now I don’t need someone trying to say - -no Quentin was recruited as a PG - -no he wasn’t he was recruited as a 2 - -Devon was recruited as our point guard of the future from the get go - -and I fully believe BOTH was told as such -Quentin the 2 spot - Devon the 1. - If he were to try and come back that would be forcing somebody out - -unless he were to give up on Langford which I don’t think he is going to do that - No Scholi’s left

Could be wrong with the schlorships available - -but just from everything he dad said in the past - -Malik’s train of thought - -And like I said I feel the way Bill is recruiting his position - I fully believe Malik will not be back not matter what the season brings. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• I think it’s part of the plan for Malik to go. Would he be okay with coming off the bench? Might be really difficult for him. I expect him to go and not get drafted.

• BeddieKU23 said:

I’ll be shocked if Lightfoot is in the rotation next season with what we should have at the 4 next season. The Lawson’s are so much better then Mitch is currently. This would be the perfect scenario to redshirt him.

Just having the 5- Doke, Dave, D Lawson, KJ Lawson & De Sousa is a lot of mouths to feed. Some serious size and skill among those 5 guys.

The ever rare junior season redshirt. I think it would be best for everyone though.

• @jayballer54

I thought Newman was a shoe-in to leave after the year. Things do change though. There was popular talk Svi & Graham were gone last season at this time. Unless something changes boy Malik would be making a mistake leaving.

• BShark said:

I think it’s part of the plan for Malik to go. Would he be okay with coming off the bench? Might be really difficult for him. I expect him to go and not get drafted.

That’s sad, I hope he reconsiders if his play continues as it is.

• @BeddieKU23

The injury kind of re-shuffles things for Newman. He’s playing okay, but not exceptional. I certainly think he can be better, but the injury may not allow that with the nature of concussions and how long it takes to get back to normal. He’s been slightly better than he was at Miss. St, while being more efficient. I think he was nearing a breakout, but again, the concussion changes that trajectory in a way we can’t know right now.

How that affects his pro prospects is an open question.

• BeddieKU23 said:

@jayballer54

I thought Newman was a shoe-in to leave after the year. Things do change though. There was popular talk Svi & Graham were gone last season at this time. Unless something changes boy Malik would be making a mistake leaving.

I agree, but like B-shark says I just don’t think he will come back no matter what. - If he isn’t drafted or whatever - -Like if it is D-League he won’t do that - -but he will just head oversea’s - I just don’t think he is coming back at all. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @justanotherfan I’m optimistic that this will actually help him.

Hopefully he can’t do anything but the basics the next couple of days, and he watches a ton of film. Then, he gets thrown back into the mix as soon as he is cleared and instead of pressing he just lets the game come to him. I think his major problem has been him trying to force the issue instead of just letting open shots come to him.

• BeddieKU23 said:

BShark said:

I think it’s part of the plan for Malik to go. Would he be okay with coming off the bench? Might be really difficult for him. I expect him to go and not get drafted.

That’s sad, I hope he reconsiders if his play continues as it is.

Does Self still want him though? Current commits were signed assuming he was leaving. It could actually mess stuff up if he stayed.

• @Kcmatt7 can’t watch film w/head injury

• @Crimsonorblue22 It isn’t an eye injury lol.

• @Kcmatt7 no tv or video games, really.

• We also don’t know what degree his concussion is, but he wasn’t knocked out. He hit that knee pretty hard though and in a bad spot. Don’t mess w/those anymore.

• Here is a good site to visit if you have spare time. You can click on the various headings such as scoring rebounding and so on and take a look at the various statistics. Some of the numbers will surprise you and players that we think are not playing that well have pretty decent numbers.

• Eric Bossi says that Ku & Vanderbilt are separating themselves from Indiana - -for Romeo Langford/

Another poster stated: Logic dictates the reason he is waiting - - Waiting to see what happens with Vick. - - No reason for Langford to wait as far as a decision to sign with Vanderbilt OR Indiana - - makes sense - -If Vick comes back - -then no looks like wouldn’t come - -If Vick leaves - - looks like might be game on. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• KU definitely has a really good chance if Vick goes.

• The way Vick is playing, I wouldn’t expect him back. He’ll at least declare.

Newman is a weird case. We have room for him next season if he wants to come back. Could easily play Dotson/Newman/Grimes in the backcourt. But I’d be very surprised if he came back. Not sure what he can do, other than convince NBA teams he can run the point.

• Bossi said today that Langford is still really open to all 3 schools, and that KU is in an interesting spot since the backcourt could be VERY crowded.

• The way Vick is playing NOW I think we stand a great chance of him coming back. - Well I mean IF he were playing. - I had to ask people last night if he was on the floor - he has just pulled a vanishing act. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Jayballer54 The way Vick is playing now I do not want him back. The obvious choice would be to take a veteran senior over a freshman, but Vick has lost his mojo, intensity, and want to. He has less than a half season to reverse that trend. If not, give me a new face that wants to come in and prove himself.

• @Big-Clyde52 Did Vick start dating the crazy girl again?? Something is up with him.

• @Barney Not to my knowledge. As far as I know he is not hurt either. He just seems to be playing tentative or scared for some reason. He has great athletic ability but for whatever reason he does not seem to want to force his will on the opponent. Maybe he developed some type of mental block. Early on he looked like a candidate for all Big 12 selection, then when conference started he regressed quickly. If he could shake out of this funk it would be a huge boost to the team. Still time for that to happen.

• @Big-Clyde52

Now, Vick does have the yips. 😄

• Staff visiting Romeo again.

• KU coaches will be at his game tonight

• Reading the tea leaves, and from a couple people I’ve talked to around IU, KU should get Romeo if there’s a role. If for some weird reason Vick leaves and Newman comes back, I think we get Romeo. We move Newman to the role Charlie Moore would’ve had, and start 3 of Newman, Grimes, Dotson, and Langford.

• Newman is in the process of turning the corner on his season. Depending on how this goes, Newman could vault himself into the first round.

• @justanotherfan yeah… that’s not happening.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Staff visiting Romeo again.

He retweeted a few tweets about Self being there. Doesn’t really mean much but obviously these kids care. We should keep showing up as much as possible.

• @FarmerJayhawk

Newman was at one time an elite level talent as a three level scorer. If he continues to score 15+ and does so reasonably efficiently, the people that projected him as an OAD may be convinced that his skillset will translate. Newman was an elite player, evaluated higher than some guys currently in the NBA out of HS, including a lottery pick from last year in Luke Kennard.

• Oh I know he was. I can’t think a team at the back of the first is looking at Malik and valuing him more than a guy like Mitchell Robinson, Landry Shamet, Brandon McCoy, or Hami Diallo.

• the video of romeo from the staffs visit makes you think we have to get this kid at any expense. I know the Sr vs OAD arguement but Romeo is just plain a better basketball player

• just read the latest interview from Romeo’s dad about his recruitment:

This came from a Indiana recruiting site ( Inside the hall) - -Tim Langford was ask about any update on Romeo recruitment. - He said that they were probably going to make a visit to Vanderbilt, probably won’t see a game, just get down to the campus watch them practice because it was within their range.

He said as far as KU , we won’t make it out there, We just pretty much watch them play on TV. -( BUT if you’ve been following his recruitment - -we already knew this ) - -Romeo has been here already.

He said things that they look for are like - -how teams will guard other players, - -how the Coach reacts coming out of a timeout , plays that are set up and such.

When asked about anything on announcement Romeo’s dad said , he told Romeo when they had a game on ESPN that if Romeo had decided and wanted to announce that would be a good time - -he also mentioned it would be a really good time when Family and everyone was in Atlanta for the McDonalds All star game in March if he was ready that would be good with all the family being there , it kind of sounds like that Romeo’s dad would really like to see him announce then possibly - but he said if not then they could still just wait until April.

He was asked - -they asked him they said about how much was real about Garland trying to talk to him about coming to Vanderbilt - -how Grimes talked to him about coming to KU - and then some Indiana player talking to him about Indiana and package deal?

He said wasn’t sure about how often Garland talked to him - - But he did know that he communicates with Grimes because of the summer we had and that they had got close.

Said what they look at more though is who is coming back ( - -hmmmmm - -VICK ) Who is coming in ( - -hmmm , as mentioned before - - -Grimes ) - said they pretty much like all 3 Coaches & styles - That was the main part and really not about a package deal.

Kind of funny in the comments where Indiana fans giving their input about WELL KU is out cause Romeo not visiting lol - -he has already been here , or that KU was to far from home - -really sad - -I like our chances - -I really like our chances if Vick leaves. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Jayballer54 said:

He said things that they look for are like - -how teams will guard other players, - -how the Coach reacts coming out of a timeout , plays that are set up and such.

Oh so the pick is KU. SHUT IT DOWN.

• BShark said:

Jayballer54 said:

I noticed that quote too. Throw all the lobs to Romeo.

• BShark said:

Jayballer54 said:

LOL

• The comment section in that update was some kind of stupid. wow.

Dad certainly wants him to announce with all the family planning to go to Atlanta. I don’t see him doing it then but something to keep our eye on

• Langford dropped 63 points with 16 boards🕶 🕶

Sign him up Bill

• The legend grows.

• BShark said:

The legend grows.

NBA Jams on fire

• His hair game is starting to resemble the ridiculous mop Brian Bowen has

• The competition level was certainly not good.

Has great form on his shot.