Sherron

• Ya know , I got to thinking last night after I heard Sherron talk about what it meant to him after he heard his Jersey was going to be hanging from the rafters.

One thing I picked up one for sure obviously was how much he love being here and how he now calls this place his home - -moved here and everything. - -I got to thinking how many players families , or past players now call Lawrence home, seems like there is quite a few- must be doing something right - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

I am glad for Sherron, but surprised. What criterion got his jersey up there?

He was a great Jayhawk and I want his jersey up there, but again what criterion got it hung?

• I believe they have diluted if to the point if you were an all American and/or on an NC team. Maybe if you have a sweet jump shot and you walk old ladies across the street that would be enough. I liked it better when there were set criteria. But I guess that is showing my age. The bar was really high before Roy tore it down to get his favorites up there. Used to be you had to be Mvp of the NC or NPOY or consensus all American. Does top 5 in scoring make you a rafters-worthy legend? Could mean you just shot a lot. Sheron was vital to the NC, but not sure about legend? How do you not include Russ Rob then? He was equally vital…but I don’t think he should qualify for enshrinement .

• Sherron was consensus second team All American in his junior year and consensus first team All American in his senior year, the later qualifies him to have his jersey in the rafters. A little research would have cleared it up for you.

• @JayHawkFanToo @Fightsongwriter

hmmm…I recall the criteria expanding but I do believe HCBS said it is fluid and might allow more players in who don’t fit strictly into the categories previously discussed. Is Cole up there for National Academic All American of the Year, or is this part of that?

• @mayjay Yes, Academic All-American was announced as one of the criteria when Self revised the rules.

But as we all know from Pirates of the Carribean, they really are more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules 😉

• Pretty sure they dissolved the criteria and just put players up there if they feel they deserve it.

Sherron and Cole deserve it.

• @BShark Yes and no. See https://kuinfo.ku.edu/what-are-qualifications-jayhawk-basketball-player-must-meet-have-their-jersey-retired-and-hung

According to the Kansas Men’s Basketball Media guide: The original criteria for a retired jersey included KU players named college basketball player of the year, most valuable player of the NCAA Tournament or being named a four-time All-American.

The list was expanded in 1997 to include Ray Evans, who holds the distinction of being an All-American in both football and basketball.

The criteria was expanded prior to the 2002-03 season to include consensus first-team All-Americans, two-time first-team All-America selections and Academic All-American of the Year.

In 2006 legendary KU radio man Max Falkenstien was added to the rafters to recognize his 60 years of brodcasting KU athletics.

Having said all that, here is a Feb 2009 quote from Coach Self: “There is really not a criteria other than the greatest players that play here deserve to be considered for that.”

Mario met the original criteria, as does Frank.

Cole and Sherron both meet the expanded criteria.

• I was wondering when they would retire Sherron and Cole’s numbers. It’ll be a while for Frank, but I’ll try to make that game. (Really gonna miss that guy!)

• How many 4-time All Americans have there been in history, not just KU but all schools?

• @dylans I don’t think they’ll wait to long. Just a hunch.

• @Crimsonorblue22

I was under the impression that there was a waiting period, maybe 4 or 5 years but I could be wrong.

• mayjay said:

How many 4-time All Americans have there been in history, not just KU but all schools?

However many there are, there won’t be any more.

• The top ten schools with the most consensus first-team All-Americans 0_1509222014239_upload-9aef5deb-6845-4245-adb0-0f508ca0a085 That’s pretty cool.

• tundrahok said:

mayjay said:

How many 4-time All Americans have there been in history, not just KU but all schools?

However many there are, there won’t be any more.

Unless college ball totally changes. It just might too, NBA commish wants to end oad.

• @BShark It certainly could change, and likely will to some extent. But can you envision any way a 3-time All-American would come back to school for a 4th year instead of going to the NBA? I can’t.

• If basically all the good players go to NBA feeder leagues. Hope that is not the case though.

• @mayjay

Tyler Hannsborough is the closest with 3 first team and 1 second team. Doug McDermoth has also 3 first team. In the old days players like Wilt did no play varsity in their freshman year and now, the better players do not stay in college long so it is highly unlikely any one will be selected consensus 1st team for 4 years. Kareem was a 3 time consensus first team and 3 time POY a so was Bill Walton and Oscar Rortson, Pete Maravich was a 3 time consensus 1st team. These are the few that come to mind and I am sure many of the great players of the 70s-90s might also be 3 time consensus first team.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

Sherron was consensus second team All American in his junior year and consensus first team All American in his senior year, the later qualifies him to have his jersey in the rafters. A little research would have cleared it up for you.

Well, why the heck would I want to do that, if I can get you to do it?

Howling!

I thought the whole point of connectivity was to share what we know!

That’s sure how the Deep State feels about it 24/7.

But thanks just the same.

• Its time to expand the criteria to include any KU player that gets an adidas shoe endorsement contract at anytime in his professional career north of $100M regardless of length of contract.

• @ParisHawk Guidelines!!! 💯 😆 😆 😆

• @dylans I thought the time frame was that you had to be 5 years out from leaving the program, be it draft or graduation. So, Frank Mason stands to get his jersey hung in '22… if I’m not mistaken.

• @Lulufulu

That was my impression as well.