Head coach David Padgett

• http://kuhoops.com/ku-basketball-news/176217851/

Interim tag, doubtful he’ll be the head coach right now. He hit the last shot in the Hearns Center, a walk off game winner, at hated misery for us as a freshman.

• Hit the 3 dots then edit button

• My nephew is a MU grad and I’ll never forget his response to David Padgett’s game winning shot against MU at the Hearnes Center. He was so pissed. He said that David Padgett will forever be known as David f’ing Padgett to MU fans. Still makes me laugh the way he said it.

• @rocketdog That must be tough, having a nephew make such a bad choice in life. I hope he’s doing well despite a misery education!

• Picking some one loyal to school and to the outgoing coach is SOP in these situations now. Think Josh Pastner, when Cal exited Memphisto.

The apparent objective is to hire some one that won’t accidentally unearth more skeletons–someone that will keep the rest of the skeletons in the crypt.

• @jaybate-1.0 The actual objective is to keep someone the players are familiar with, whose approach is unlikely to require major adjustments by the players, and to thus keep the players from transferring out.

• @mayjay

That’s pretty funny.

• @jaybate-1.0

LOL. Now, Cal as the original “Memphisto” that would be a cerebral pun for German literature fans.

• Keep skeletons in closets. Top of list.

• One more thing: it appears when a school is really coming clean that they do make a total break with the infraction plagued coach and his coaching staff and any of his former players.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Yes, Hungarian Franz Lizst knew how to write a devil of a waltz and foreshadowed what would happen one day at Memphisto, er, Mephisto, er Memphis University! Genius is unbounded by time.

And remember Alan Alda and Jackie Bissett in the “Memphisto, er Memphis, er Mephisto Waltz”? As bad of a movie as Lizst’s ditty was a great waltz.

And now back to basketball.

Say, maybe KU could cut a shoe deal with Mephisto Shoes. The French still care about comfort. I like my old Mephisto walking shoes, but truth told I am getting old as Sockless Jerry Simpson, and I have regressed much of the time to old Clarks suede desert boots with sponge rubber soles, same as I wore as a kid. I like them so much. Ah, but I have my eye on a pair of Laramie Suede Art Carter Traveling Sportsman Chukkas from W.C. Russell Moccasins back in good old Berlin, WI. Russell cribbed the concept of suede and canvas off the Corcoran’s (probably other manufacturers too) our soldiers like to wear in Mid East heat. The idea goes way back, and makes a lot of sense. Suede breaths. And canvas does too. I’m glad this old look adapted for the troops is coming back in shoes, instead of more goddamned camo this and camo that. But now I’m back of hoops.

• @jaybate-1.0

I was talking about Mephistopheles (from whom the shorter Mephisto derives) the demon to whom Faust sells his soul, much like how prospects sell their souls to the squid for some fleeting success and fame. I thought you were relating Mephisto to “Memphisto” or the demon from Memphis as the ultimate literary pun. Maybe I just overthought it… 😄

• @JayHawkFanToo

Not at all.

It is the root.

And for the root there is always …

He is quiet and small, he is black

From his ears to the tip of his tail;

He can creep through the tiniest crack,

He can walk on the narrowest rail.

He can pick any card from a pack,

He is equally cunning with dice;

He is always deceiving you into believing

That he’s only hunting for mice.

He can play any trick with a cork

Or a spoon and a bit of fish-paste;

If you look for a knife or a fork

And you think it is merely misplaced–

You have seen it one moment, and then it is gawn!

But you’ll find it next week lying out on the lawn.

–T. S. Eliot, Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats