What About Mitchell?

• @BShark I did sort of expect a commitment already. Honestly I expected a tweet on Sunday.

Every day that passes it is much more likely that he just pulls a Thon Maker. Sit out the year and train. Then go to the combine and show your stuff.

It is just such a weird situation. You have an older freshmen who thinks he is easily a OAD so he doesn’t want to commit for two years, but he can’t play in the first year. So he’s essentially worthless.

He mocks at 14 right now, so it really all depends on what people are telling him. He could fall way, way back to the 2nd round if any other stories come out with him. Or he could stay in the lottery if he has a good showing overseas or blows people away like Thon Maker did in the combine.

If I was his people, I’d probably tell him to just skip the season and train for the combine.

• Here is a good summary of the Mitchell Robinson situation

• Hey KU fans!
    THis is excellent news! I hope we get this guy.
    Who cares if Bagley goes do Duke!?

• @JayHawkFanToo You need to edit your links! This is the 3rd one in the past week or so that has an extra letter at the beginning, making it inoperative.

• @KUSTEVE I agree but the longer this thing drags out with no word from anybody, it looks as though Robinson is going elsewhere.

• @mayjay Fixed it

• @mayjay

I believe the behavior of the link paste option has changed rcently and it varies when I use the PC and the IPad. I used to select a word or words, click the link and the link holder would be highlighted and I could just paste the link but now it either adds a letter or the close parenthesis at the end is deleted; I can normally see in the right panel if the link is displaying in blue. Oh well…I will test from now on to make sure it is correct. Thanks for letting me know.

• @dylans

Thanks. I will test every link from now on.

• @JayHawkFanToo Sometimes I have a heckuva time getting the auto-select function to behave properly. It seems to reset every time Android updates. On my PC, it happens in Word. I constantly reset the options but it goes back again. The biggest problem I have is when it pastes something over the top of something it has autoselected when I only wanted to insert text.

Continued diligence is the price we pay for technology. Do not let Skynet use autoselect!

• Getting a feeling like others I think Robinson left port and moving on. Actually thought he would be quick to commit, because as far as I knew we were pretty much his only option for this year to land with a College after what I had heard & read. Now maybe not so much - -makes me believe he is going to just like has been said sit and Train and then Declare. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Did just look through who Robinson is following on Twitter. Looks like he recently followed a photo editor for commits who puts uniforms on players for their commitments. He also has followed, literally, 50 girls from Lawrence since I last checked and a couple more KU accounts.

For what it’s worth…

• @Kcmatt7 Noticed that the other day. Can’t be a bad thing…

• No way that this kid is going to come to KU, sit out a year and then become eligible to play. Maybe he enrolls, waits for the NCAA to rule on the waiver. If he receives the waiver he plays. If he doesn’t receive the waive…he leaves school. I don’t think Self would willingly sign up for that. … but he can’t control whether the kid stays or not. Ideally, the NCAA would rule quickly, for the benefit of all involved…either way. But then, ideally, Jennifer Anniston knocks on my front door tonight…

• @Hawk8086 Careful with Jennifer. She is still looking to have kids. Have her sign some waivers before you accept any drinks from her.

• I dont know what Robinson is going through but he posted he was upset and on his own now. I would expect we hear something soon. I am guessing he is going against his fam and being your own man at his age is never easy.

• Been doing a lot of reading on Robinson. I have a feeling that the NCAA is being felt out on the chances of an exception/diversion/parole 🙂 or whatever they call what it will take to get him on the court this year. Probably by KU but likely also by Robinson himself. After gathering a little information on if there is a chance or not then an informed decision could be made by both parties. Personally I don’t think he will go to college if it is determined he is a practice squad only guy although KU could be looking to take him as that just to help the other bigs improve as the cupboard is pretty bare in recruitment land.

• @Statmachine this could get interesting.

• He should announce for KU pretty soon but yeah whether he ever plays a game or not is up for debate. I sure hope he does.

• @Hawk8086 Lol, my wife ( Jennifer better not show up at your doorstep lol - -your name is not Jody is it? lol guys always kid and say to other guys - -Jody is at your house man, you better get home Jody is at your house lol. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54 My stepson the Marine says that Jody is the name guys use to discuss any guy making time with a girlfriend or wife back home. I wonder if your guys have USMC backgrounds.

• @mayjay That’s exactly what I was talking about, it was the same way when I was in lol - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• mayjay said:

@Hawk8086 Careful with Jennifer. She is still looking to have kids. Have her sign some waivers before you accept any drinks from her.

that was fantastic!

• @mayjay

…but the babies would be smart and beautiful…

• Looks like he is visiting new Orleans soon. I don’t think he’s coming here.

• KU probably was going to help him but he didn’t want to commit to a second year if it didn’t work out.

• HawkChamp said:

Looks like he is visiting new Orleans soon. I don’t think he’s coming here.

I posted some crazy stuff I read re: Robinson in the recruiting thread.

• I see the N.O. visit as a positive.

What we don’t want to do is sign an unsure Mitchell. It wouldn’t surprise me if Bill sent him to N.O… just to help solidify his desire to come to Lawrence. And if we lose him? It wasn’t meant to be and we would have been off worse if Mitchell came to Lawrence and quickly became unhappy.

• I don’t see any of this as a positive. But then again if we didn’t have a scholarship to give out this wouldn’t be our problem either. Going into the summer with just 4 eligible big men is why were are currently glamorizing this kid’s chances of playing, not playing, leaving, not leaving in the next year when his only goal is to play in the NBA. Why can’t we get someone with no issues/drama/eligibility concerns for that last spot.

• @BeddieKU23 Everyone has issues with that last scholly. Cal fills the end of his roster with garbage. K often just doesn’t fill the last scholarship.

Personally, I think carrying 11 eligible players is the best way to go. Doesn’t scare away recruits and gives you flexibility in years where you have an opportunity for a stud transfer or just an absolutely loaded class.

• I like the flexibility as well. I don’t know that we necessarily land a guy like Mitchell Robinson, because a top 10 recruit coming available this late is rare, but it’s nice if it happens. We could legitimately have the best frontcourt in the nation with Azuibuke, Preston and Robinson. That’s no small feat to go from very thin upfront to the best in the country.

• Also, Matt Scott with the hot take “It wasn’t a visit, he just went and shot around.” Lol. Other reports are like nope, his mom and him met with the coaching staff and the visit lasted until 9:30PM.

• Does anyone know why Mitchell can’t apply for the waiver until he picks a school? To me that just screams that the NCAA could have a chance to be biased based on where he goes.

• Kcmatt7 said:

@BeddieKU23 Everyone has issues with that last scholly. Cal fills the end of his roster with garbage. K often just doesn’t fill the last scholarship.

Personally, I think carrying 11 eligible players is the best way to go. Doesn’t scare away recruits and gives you flexibility in years where you have an opportunity for a stud transfer or just an absolutely loaded class.

Yeah, it’s rare that even the 9th player will play much anyway. This isn’t the NBA. That said the front court is concerning, ideally you have a 4th guy just in case of foul trouble, injury etc…

• Kcmatt7 said:

Also, Matt Scott with the hot take “It wasn’t a visit, he just went and shot around.” Lol. Other reports are like nope, his mom and him met with the coaching staff and the visit lasted until 9:30PM.

Known clown Matt Scott just continuing to embarrass himself.

• @Kcmatt7 attorney and money?

• Does NO have have a schollie?

• @Kcmatt7 Mitchell himself can’t request the waiver, it has to come from the school, I read that the other day. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @drgnslayr I think it’s over for us.

• @Crimsonorblue22

ESPN shows them with 12 before any freshman…

• @Crimsonorblue22 No apparently it’s the rule for the waiver. But to me, seems like it could very easily be a biased system. Mitchell could get accepted to, say , UNO and be eligible. But if that allows KU to become NC favorites, all of a sudden he isn’t eligible for us.

To me, the system is very flawed. He should be able to apply for the waiver first. I think if he got the waiver, his options would have opened up 100X more than they are right now. Hurts both the student and the school in the current system.

• @Kcmatt7 It is due to their fictional focus on making sure that the student athlete is a student first and an athlete second. Enrolling without knowing if you can play somehow means the athlete was always focused on school more than sports.

I disagree with you, though, on bias about eligibility waivers. I have seen nothing indicative of that. How they make some of those decisions is pretty opaque, but I think when there is suspicion of tampering the waiver might be less likely. Just like coaches who might grant a release but not to schools they suspect.

• @mayjay I just don’t like things going on behind closed doors. Nor do I like that the school has to be associated to get someone cleared or receive a waiver. I’m not saying that bias happens with the waivers. I’m just saying that it would prove that there is no bias if the waiver applies to the student and doesn’t have to come from the school.

Just like somehow, some-freaking way, the NCAA tournament selection committee has had up to 3 people on it that were in one way or another connected to Duke. And somehow magically Duke gets easy paths in the tourney. The committee probably doesn’t actually favor them. And the process is probably so complex that there is no way they do it on purpose. But they have opened themselves up to be criticized.

If it was so straight-forward if the player was eligible or not in the waiver process, the NCAA should be able to rule on it with or without the player choosing a new school. But because it is not that way, I will always have my doubts.

• As it was explained to me the waiver is not granted to the student but to the school. Robinson can enroll in any school he chooses without checking with the NCAA but to play for the school team, the school has to get a waiver to allow him to play in the team. This is different than initial eligibility where hundreds of thousands of players submit their information to the NCAA and they get cleared (or not) to play, much like Robinson was already cleared. The reason for this is because transfer is different than starting fresh somewhere and the NCAA wants to make sure the requesting school did not have any improper involvement in said transfer. The rules are in place to make sure things are done above board and on an level playing field; in the absence of said rules there would chaos.

Now, the rules themselves are there and well defined but they require input that sometimes is not readily available or not forthcoming, in this case it would be how long did he attend the previous school? Did he and how extensively practiced with team? Was he officially accepted and enrolled? Did he get financial aid? Was he contacted by other school or schools? and so on. Like all rules, they are of course subject to interpretation by humans and that interpretation is not always objective…depending on what side of the issue you sit.

Once Robinson picks a school, at this time I have no reason to think that a ruling from the NCAA would not come shortly after all the information is submitted. Remember that the the NCAA has to at least keep the appearance that college is the place where people go to get an education and a degree and also play sports and not just a pit stop on the way to pro-sports…right…😃

• http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article168246172.html

Not happening.

Linked this in another thread but figured it should be here, in the Mitchell Robinson thread.

• Good to know.

• @BShark Well guy, I reckon, or it sure seems that pretty well ends that story doesn’t it? – -Dam I seen some more highlights of the kid and all I can say is - - - -DAMM, looks pretty mobile, has got serious hops BUT life goes on, like I say end of story. 😞 😞 😞 😞 😞 - - so be it - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Yep, would have been a great get, but time to move on.

• I hope he doesn’t commit anywhere. If he ends up drafted in the lottery after sitting out a season, I think we may see some kids start doing that. If there becomes a trend of the top 10 freshmen sitting out and waiting for the draft o could see a rule change. Would almost force the NBA to do a 2AD rule or move to the baseball model.

Thon Maker proved it can be done if you have enough upside. If Robinson also gets in the lottery, that proves the NBA doesn’t actually care if you get play CBB or not.

• Mitchell we hardly knew ye’

Close the door on this one!

• @BeddieKU23

Yahoo/NBC Sports does not think he will be playing at KU or anywhere.