Udoka, first team All-American

• Yeah I said it. Barring injury, he’s going to be ridiculous this year.

• I agree. He dunks easier than I do on my 10-year-old neighbor kid’s 8 foot basket.

He’s going to be a “problem” according to Darnell Jackson.

Nickname: The Problem

He might foul out for 30 games, but when the refs choke on the whistles in the championship game, he’ll destroy people.

• I don’t think he will in 2017-18 because I don’t see him getting the touches to put up the numbers to be a first team All-American this year. UA is likely going to be the third option this year behind Newman and Graham, so while I could see UA averaging a double-double, I think it would be much closer to something like 11 ppg and 10+ rpg, but I don’t see him putting up T-Rob or Simien type numbers to get to a 1st team level this year. Maybe in 2018-19 if he’s still here, but there’s a decent chance that’s not going to happen.

• What true 7-foot center in college basketball is going to be better than “The Problem” this year?

There isn’t one. If he can get the footwork down, he’s Ewing/Shaq 2.0.1.1.1.1.1.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 You left off the 5 blocks! Makes for a more compelling argument.

• A trimmed down conditioned Udoka seems like the perfect 5 in a 4-1 for us. Spread the floor and let him destroy any unfortunate mortals in the lane.

• Even if he’s just rebounding and dunking, nobody is going to be able to stop him from doing that. And I don’t think he will get in foul trouble just doing that.

• @approxinfinity

Now that got me geeked up!!!

Smokin’ with thuh Doke!!!

Optimus Doke!

KUBOTS!!! DEPLOY!!!

• 1st Team All American seems like a pretty lofty expectation. I’m incredibly excited to see Doke play this year but he is still raw. I’d be more than thrilled if Doke is 2nd team All Big 12.

• That would be great if Udunka becomes an All American! All we an do is wait and see. There are a lot of unanswered questions. Conditioning, health, footwork, basketball IQ, chemistry with team, adjustment to officiating, aggressiveness…

I hope he gets there… another special experience watching a player come in to Lawrence and mature both on and off the court. Very exciting times! Udunka was always my pick for the post during his recruitment.

• Whoa there…lets not get carried away. I remember a thread like this last year about…wait for it…Carlton Bragg. Let’s not jinx Doke and heap lofty expectations like Bragg only to be disappointed when not met. I would be happy if KU can get 20-25 minutes of solid defense and enough offense to keep opponent honest; with the back court KU will have this is all we need from him and everything over that is icing on the cake.

• @JayHawkFanToo Sure I hear you, but Udoka was 6’11 270 coming out of high school! Bragg was 6’9 220! There is a HUGE difference. Bragg’s body will never let him bruise people like Udoka. Our off season expectation was a leap in finesse with Bragg. Udoka’s off season expectation was a leap in strength and conditioning, and I think we can already see that has happened. Unless Udoka suddenly takes up playing hackysack and following Phish, I don’t see where we will be disappointed.

• Also I don’t think Doke is as big of a party animal. That should help too.

• @BShark you beat me to it! I just was going there in the edit above.

• @approxinfinity

Remember that Bragg had grown an inch or two and gained weight under Hudy’s guidance over the summer and physically there was no reason for him not to succeed; the expectation was based on his potential and position he would play. Bragg’s issue was not physical but mental. ESPN had him as the KU break out player and many early mock drafts had him as a lottery pick…just sayin’…

• @JayHawkFanToo

And Bragg had two good wings to work with.

Ukunka may have to play a lot of Richard Kimball ball.

But I could be wrong.

I’m feeling pretty insecure these days.

I may misunderstand.

Or perhaps need a link.

🤸🏾

Heck, I may not even watch something essential.

😰🙀

• @jaybate-1.0 What Dr. Kimble was looking for.

0_1497113308265_heavier-wooden-artificial-arms-were-eventually-replaced-by-lighter-metal-versions-in-the-1920s-this-prosthetic-left-arm-is-made-from-aluminum-the-hand-can-be-removed-from-the-arm.jpg

• @jaybate-1.0 HA! I get it! That was a Harrison Ford movie reference!

• The match up with Bomba will be epic. I think Devonte is the all american, and Doke is first team Big 12.

• approxinfinity said:

@JayHawkFanToo. Unless Udoka suddenly takes up playing hackysack and following Phish, I don’t see where we will be disappointed.

Awesome line.

• @Lulufulu

Double allusion to Ford and David Jansen!!!