Now The Real Fun Begins: May Rotation Talk

• Baylor picked up a big transfer in Mario Kegler for 2018. A likely starter at SF or small ball 4…

• BeddieKU23 said:

Baylor picked up a big transfer in Mario Kegler for 2018. A likely starter at SF or small ball 4…

They also have a really weird situation with Makai Mason.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/mens_basketball/yale-guard-makai-mason-transferring-to-baylor/article_a6e782c2-b566-5ca3-908e-3b40dc40ce6e.html

He’s going to play for Yale this upcoming season, and then grad transfer to Baylor.

• @BShark

Definitely, I still think there a lot that will happen between now and Mason going to Baylor. With the Ivy league not allowing his type of situation he’ll either try and make the NBA after this year or as he’s saying go somewhere else for his final year.

• @BeddieKU23

If he is a graduate transfer, there is nothing the Ivy League can do since he will have graduated and gone from Yale, right?

I believe he SEC used to have some restriction accepting graduate transfers but did away with them a while back.

• @JayHawkFanToo

The Ivy league does not allow graduate transfers to play. Mason after sitting out last season with an injury is going to graduate after this year and look to transfer. It was odd in that he apparently already decided on which school even though he’s still playing for Yale.

• Tilmon arrested. Per an MUPD arrest report, Jeremiah Tilmon was arrested at 1:42 a.m. Friday for a minor in possession after a routine traffic stop.

His Missouri career is off to a resounding start!

• @BeddieKU23

But he is not a graduate transfer right now, right so far? He is just an athlete with two years left of eligibility and after he graduates at the end of the season he will still have one year left. He will be a graduate transfer AFTER he graduates from Yale and at that time there is nothing Yale or the Ivy League can do, right? What part do I have wrong?

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@BeddieKU23

But he is not a graduate transfer right now, right so far? He is just an athlete with two years left of eligibility and after he graduates at the end of the season he will still have one year left. He will be a graduate transfer AFTER he graduates from Yale and at that time there is nothing Yale or the Ivy League can do, right? What part do I have wrong?

Your correct he’s not a grad transfer yet. Mason has kind of jumped the gun per say in saying he’s going to be a grad transfer after next season and also by naming Baylor as the team he will transfer too. Because he can’t stay with Yale if he graduates in the spring he’d have to transfer somewhere else. I expect he’ll be one of the most sought after transfers if he sticks to what he’s saying

• @BeddieKU23 Not a big deal or a surprise. Lawrence PD is just nice enough to not mess with the BBall players unless they absolutely have to.

BG should have gotten a DUI like his first week in Lawrence if I recall correctly. Got lucky to get away with only a hit and run charge.

• This bit about who comes off the bench, Malik or LaGerald, I think Self will get a good read on this by January and that he will play it to the optimum result in terms of team unity and individual prodding. If both are healthy they are each headed for 26+ minutes, regardless. As is Svi. And they all are eventually headed to the NBA as probable first round selections, sooner or later. The Whitman/Preston debate: who knows? Gotta see these guys work, within the framework of Doke and our fine speedy guards. Two very different types of 4 men…which is a real gem for the coaching staff, by way of throwing change-ups. Bill Self moves forward incrementally as an NCAA change-up artist. He did some super stuff with Jackson last season. Josh might indeed owe some of his future millions to the program which guided him to such noteworthy versatility. Individually, there are some under radar players now vying for minutes in the Jayhawk program. IF they evolve into unified unselfish team players this squad can make some huge noise by March. And a bunch of these guys will be recognized nationally.

• I see our main competition as WVU, OU and TCU. The common thread is a great coach.

• Newman will start.

• @BShark yep. No doubt about it.

• @REHawk I think some are still caught up in “what are we going to do without Frank and Josh?”. It’s all about overall team talent and balance. There was very little balance last year after Dok went out with the injury. Even though the games haven’t started yet, I feel as though this team under Self, who has really shown a superb skill at making adjustments (as if we thought he wasn’t any good) is definitely a title contender. The Italy trip should really help team cohesion and a W over Kenstinky would be a great start to the year. As usual, West Virginia will be our main competition. Will this be the year our losing streak finally ends in Morgantown?

• @BShark

and likely will be our leading scorer…

• @HawkChamp

It is a valid concern though replacing a POY and a Top 3 pick in this years draft. They were our 2 leading scorers, 2 of our leading assist leaders, and 2 of the best rebounders on the team.

There will be some adjusting and as you pointed out, Italy should help as these guys get some extra practices and games together to build team chemistry.

Self always puts together a good team and this year should be no different. But we certainly have a lot of unknowns right now, certainly a ton of talent and potentially a very good team. We can assume we won’t miss a beat but it will be exciting and frustrating I’m sure early in the season watching this unit come together

• @Beddie23

Him or Devonte probably. My comment was actually directed at @REHawk so I should have @ him before. Vick may start, but it won’t be over Newman. Graham and Newman are locked in stone starters.

Replacing two great players is difficult. Otoh Tyler Self was the 2nd guard off the bench last year and the one big Self trusted was not athletic at all. The whole one big thing definitely skews the rebounding stats. Frank was a good rebounder but in a normal situation, even just Doke being healthy, his numbers there would have been lower.

Agree though, it’s nice to have the Italy trip. Lots of new pieces to fit in.

• BShark said:

@Beddie23

Him or Devonte probably. My comment was actually directed at @REHawk so I should have @ him before. Vick may start, but it won’t be over Newman. Graham and Newman are locked in stone starters.

Replacing two great players is difficult. Otoh Tyler Self was the 2nd guard off the bench last year and the one big Self trusted was not athletic at all. The whole one big thing definitely skews the rebounding stats. Frank was a good rebounder but in a normal situation, even just Doke being healthy, his numbers there would have been lower.

Agree though, it’s nice to have the Italy trip. Lots of new pieces to fit in.

Yeah Devonte could definitely be the leading scorer as well. I’m most interested in seeing how he improves this season. He’s seen the blue-print, let’s see if he’s got what it takes.

As always we have exciting elements to the team that we haven’t seen. We expect Newman to be All-Big-12 caliber, we expect Doke to be this larger then life big man, we have guarded expectations for Preston but we know there is a world of talent inside of him. There’s the next step for Vick and Svi. Cunliffe has barely played and Whitman is taking the jump up to Big-12 ball. And so far Mitch Lightfoot seems to be doing everything he needs to do to become a positive contributor to this team. And then there’s Marcus Garrett who could be anything. It’s a great group, the ceiling for this team is high- hopefully championship worthy

• I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Marcus Garrett will get more minutes than most people expect. From all his film he just seems to have that controlled aggression that is required for freshman to play for coach Self.

• So, is Marcus tall enough or athletic enough to play a 4 spot?

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

So, is Marcus tall enough or athletic enough to play a 4 spot?

He’s pretty athletic, height would be the real problem. My guess is he is a 2/3 under Self that doesn’t make anyone nervous when he is handling the ball.

I hope the previous poster is right and he plays more than expected because that likely means he can run point at the D1 level. If he can do that it takes a stress off DG and Newman. Also we know Newman is good at creating for himself and DG is great in a secondary role but neither is a proven creator for others. If Garrett can create good looks with all the good spot up shooters on the roster, he will definitely see more time than I have been predicting.

• @Crimsonorblue22

I would say no and we’d probably never need him in that situation but anything could happen. Josh was an extraordinary outlier where he had the size/athletic ability and talent to overcome what we generally view as a post player.

If Marcus was a few inches shorter he’d be a point guard but because he’s 6’6 his game has rounded out more to accommodate for his height. Gives him the versatility to guard all 3 perimeter spots which is good for this team. He doesn’t have elite athletic ability but he’s solid and I expect Hudy will really help him in that area. He’s similar to Vick when he came in that he’ll need to add natural weight through strength training. I wonder if the coaches will look to fine tune his shooting motion as well which would help him, right now he has a bit of a set shot (think Niang).

• @BeddieKU23

Given that he projects as a multi-year player I would think they will work on his shooting motion/shot.

• There’s a video on the KU basketball Facebook page introducing the new guys and it includes their position and it had Marcus Garrett listed as a point guard. That should be a big sign of what SeIf’s intentions with Garrett are.