2018 Recruiting Thread

• ESPN updated rankings for 2018

Grimes down to 29, not understanding the drop honestly.

Dotson #33

Dosunmu #39

Carey # 55 (nice jump, finally people are catching on)

Bernard #57

A few Duke prospects saw big jumps before they commit.

• http://247sports.com/Article/NBA-Top-100-Five-Star-2018-PG-Quentin-Grimes-Says-Duke-Picking-U-53199547

“I definitely want to visit Kentucky, Kansas and Texas. I might do four, maybe all five official visits, but those are the three I’m definitely going to visit.”

• BeddieKU23 said:

ESPN updated rankings for 2018

Grimes down to 29, not understanding the drop honestly.

Dotson #33

Dosunmu #39

Carey # 55 (nice jump, finally people are catching on)

Bernard #57

A few Duke prospects saw big jumps before they commit.

Grimes has been sick lately, though if ESPN isn’t factoring that in they aren’t doing their job very well…

• @BShark Do you think we need him? We’ve got Charlie Moore, Cunliffe, Garrett, and Vick. You’re the recruiting whiz…would he help us?

• @KUSTEVE Big Combo Guard. Would be a great second ball handler. A DG type of role. Cunliffe will have to prove he can do something besides hit a shot. And Vick might have the highest ceiling of anyone on next seasons team so he might not even be here. Plus, Grimes might not be a OAD. I know Garrett is kind of a similar guy, but you could slide him to the 3 and possibly have 3 PGs on the floor at once and be a very unselfish team offensively. That is a very high BBIQ lineup.

• How are we doing on 2018 bigs? I know we just made Naz Reid’s cut. But that’s about the only news I’ve heard on that front. I think Bagley ultimately ends up going straight pro, but I hope he drags out his recruitment. Bill does his best work in April. I don’t even really want Bol Bol. So really I don’t see us landing an impact big unless we land Naz Reid.

I just don’t see Preston or Doke playing another year regardless of how their seasons go. Leaves us with Mitch and the Lawsons. I think KJ will slide into a stretch 4 role. Which probably better suits him athletically and skill-wise. But there is plenty of unchallenged PT for a top big-man to be had. We need to land a 5. Dedric can play there for spurts. But no way can anyone else on our current roster. We are loaded at potential stretch 4s, but that only works if you have a 5 who can eat rebounds. Need to find a backup 5. (Or starting post player if we somehow pulled off a Zion or Bagley miracle).

• Bagley is a huge get for two reasons. 1. He would make you a top 5 team almost by himself. And 2. You would have an in with his brother.

• Also, what are the odds that Anthony Selden ends up as a preferred walk-on? Seems like a good fit.

• @Kcmatt7 lol. I thought surely you were referring to Uncle Anthony. This seems like destiny.

• Kcmatt7 said:

@KUSTEVE Big Combo Guard. Would be a great second ball handler. A DG type of role. Cunliffe will have to prove he can do something besides hit a shot. And Vick might have the highest ceiling of anyone on next seasons team so he might not even be here. Plus, Grimes might not be a OAD. I know Garrett is kind of a similar guy, but you could slide him to the 3 and possibly have 3 PGs on the floor at once and be a very unselfish team offensively. That is a very high BBIQ lineup.

Yeah. The team will get by this year with two guards (Graham, Newman), but three is much more ideal. I view Garrett as a wing until proven otherwise, I don’t care what his position was in HS. What will matter is if he has the ability to play the position at the major D1 level.

Also I agree that KJ and maybe even Cunliffe are more 3/4 types. Although Cunliffe hated that at ASU…

Anyway, point being that if Newman jumps to go pro as expected, signing two pg/cg would be ideal, one absolutely essential to not getting destroyed by teams that press.

• Kcmatt7 said:

How are we doing on 2018 bigs? I know we just made Naz Reid’s cut. But that’s about the only news I’ve heard on that front. I think Bagley ultimately ends up going straight pro, but I hope he drags out his recruitment. Bill does his best work in April. I don’t even really want Bol Bol. So really I don’t see us landing an impact big unless we land Naz Reid.

I just don’t see Preston or Doke playing another year regardless of how their seasons go. Leaves us with Mitch and the Lawsons. I think KJ will slide into a stretch 4 role. Which probably better suits him athletically and skill-wise. But there is plenty of unchallenged PT for a top big-man to be had. We need to land a 5. Dedric can play there for spurts. But no way can anyone else on our current roster. We are loaded at potential stretch 4s, but that only works if you have a 5 who can eat rebounds. Need to find a backup 5. (Or starting post player if we somehow pulled off a Zion or Bagley miracle).

No one seems to know the answer to this. It is possible that Preston and/or Doke are back though. I think Doke returning is slightly more likely.

Looks like we are simply in wait and see mode.

• @BShark

Garret played PG in HS and yes, I read what you posted; however, playing that position he was selected POY for the state of Texas, one of the top BBall states in the country…what makes you think he could not play PG in college? Wouldn’t the logical initial assumption be that he can play PG until he shows he cannot?

• @JayHawkFanToo

True, given his size its natural to think he will be transitioned to another position but maybe he’s good enough to be the primary backup for Graham as a freshman. He has excellent vision and from everything I’ve read he has leadership skills to be a PG.

We haven’t heard Self talk about where he plans to use him yet. There has been some general talk from those around the program that Marcus was recruited to play the 2/3 spot but its never been confirmed. There’s definitely a role for him as a ball-handler if he earns it

• Matt Scott on the shiver confirmed my own suspicions. The staff wants TWO guards in this class. Then listed…

Grimes, Dosunmu, Dotson, Quickley, Romeo, Quinerly, Smart, Bernard and Jalen Carey. Maybe throw David Duke in there as well.

• BShark said:

Matt Scott on the shiver confirmed my own suspicions. The staff wants TWO guards in this class. Then listed…

Grimes, Dosunmu, Dotson, Quickley, Romeo, Quinerly, Smart, Bernard and Jalen Carey. Maybe throw David Duke in there as well.

Why stop at 2 when we can get 3. At least 2 for sure!

• I’m of the opinion that Garrett could play the point. But I could certainly see Coach wanting to use that size at the 2/3. Perhaps that is why KUSPORTS listed Garret at 6’7". Our ball handling skills could be off the charts next year with Moore, Garrett, and whoever else we bring in.

• @KUSTEVE KU athletics he’s listed 6’5"

• BeddieKU23 said:

BShark said:

Matt Scott on the shiver confirmed my own suspicions. The staff wants TWO guards in this class. Then listed…

I like the optimism but I can’t see pulling three with Moore already on board.

• BShark said:

BeddieKU23 said:

BShark said:

I like the optimism but I can’t see pulling three with Moore already on board.

Agree, was just playing. Lots of good guards in this class that fit what Self wants. Pulling 2 might even be hard with how guys look for the path to the least resistance but if Newman is being shopped as good as gone well getting 2 shouldn’t be that hard.

• Garrett could be 6’9 on the official roster by fall. haha

• The plan is definitely that Newman goes pro after this year. He might be the best guard (in terms of talent) Self has had at KU so yeah. Obviously Graham is gone. This situation should make recruiting easier. You still never know though, Trae Young was offered the keys and turned em down. Even not counting Smart, Quickley or Quinerly (good idea imo) that’s a lot of really good guards KU is in on. Self just has to bat .333.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Garrett could be 6’9 on the official roster by fall. haha

😂

At this rate he will be 7’ by the time he gets minutes.

• BShark said:

BeddieKU23 said:

Garrett could be 6’9 on the official roster by fall. haha

😂

At this rate he will be 7’ by the time he gets minutes.

Just in time to take over Doke’s position at the 5

• 2019 name to watch: Terrence Hargrove.

• Read today where KU had offered 2020 pg Adam Miller 6’3 from Peoria Illinois. Said KU and Illinois were going to be fighting for him over the next 2 yrs lol. - - - - -Rock Chalk All Day Long Baby

• @jayballer54

Posted about that a bit back, he’s really good and interested in KU. Momma is on board too…could definitely end up a Jayhawk.

• Encouraging news about Miller even if he’s a long ways away from picking or going to College. Never hurts to be in already for a 2020 kid with ties to the program.

Looking like Quinerly to Arizona. Jeez they are unstoppable right now.

Bagley to visit Duke this summer… no other visits planned at this point.

Grimes latest interview makes it seem like he will be dragging out his recruitment… Will KU wait on him and get burned again? Seems like the next in line to do so.

Some more 18 prospects off the board. Smith- a high upside top 40 guy to Maryland. USC picked up a Top-100 big. Neither were on KU’s radar.

Ayo eliminated Northwestern from consideration after visiting… No KU visit planned as of yet and frankly I’m not sure what they are waiting on to get him here.

Looks like Duke will be on the board soon with Cole Swider, a rising PF who I’m sure the recruiting sites will overvalue because he signs with Duke.

Matt keeps saying KU sits in a good spot for Langford, which I don’t believe. We hear “we’re in a good spot all to often” line

• @BeddieKU23 I just hope Bagley signs early. Just so Self doesn’t turn into Captain Ahab and ignores recruits we could actually land.

• @BeddieKU23

Could be another early commit. Not like right now which would be insane, but JR year assuming he keeps progressing.

With Grimes, I’d say KU shouldn’t wait if he isn’t a fall decision but other realistic guard targets want to commit. He’s good yes but if two of Dotson, Ayo and Carey want to commit I say take em.

Sounded like Ayo plans to visit KU. Wouldn’t worry about it.

Looks like that kid is already getting the Duke bump. A shame that KU hasn’t been closing targets like other schools over the summer. But hey since Bill just works a bit later than usual maybe this will mean a good fall. 😂

• BShark said:

The plan is definitely that Newman goes pro after this year. He might be the best guard (in terms of talent) Self has had at KU so yeah. Obviously Graham is gone. This situation should make recruiting easier. You still never know though, Trae Young was offered the keys and turned em down. Even not counting Smart, Quickley or Quinerly (good idea imo) that’s a lot of really good guards KU is in on. Self just has to bat .333.

Yeah Howard’s job should depend on whether he lands this kid (with the expectation that he keeps improving and KU continues to prioritize him. It sounds harsh but at some point your assistants have to prove themselves when you have the upper hand in a recruitment. Him being a key player for Newman was a positive step IMO for him. There is literally not an acceptable excuse out there if he doesn’t land Miller with the connection he shares with the mother.

We’ll see what happens with Grimes. At least we know an official visit is a certainty.

Swider is definitely getting the Duke bump. Not that he hasn’t improved, he’s been the leading scorer so far on his AAU squad that has caught a lot of attention.

Did you see the Bamba possible eligibility issues? I haven’t dug deep into it but some messy stuff possibly happening…

• Yeah I made a thread. I can’t see Bamba being able to play…

• @BeddieKU23 Isn’t Snacks the reason that the Chicago pipeline has sort of reopened? He landed Cliff and Jacobs. Is he really doing much worse than anyone else recruiting?

• @Kcmatt7

He’s a bit of a lightning rod in large segments of the fanbase. He ran point on some high profile misses.

Otoh he ran point on Garrett and Jacobs. Plus was a factor for Moore. If he keeps the ILL/Chicago commits flowing he isn’t going anywhere.

• Ruhroh, Marcedus Leech visiting UK…

• @BShark I guess its easier for some people to blame the person recruiting them in order to rationalize the decision of a 17 or 18 year old kid.

• http://kentucky.247sports.com/Article/Kentucky-Wildcats-hosting-top-50-junior-Marcedus-Leech-for-unoff-53378575

He hold early offers from Kansas, Iowa State, Miami, Missouri, Vanderbilt and Washington among others, but told D1Vision that Kentucky is his dream school.

Just another kid KU was supposedly the early favourite for that will end up at UK, Duke or AZ.

• @Kcmatt7

No I don’t think he’s doing sub-par to the rest of the staff. He’s gotten a lot of criticism since he’s been here, part of that falls on his arrest and poor judgement. I’ve held nothing against him in that regard and see no reason to. I had forgot he has run point on some other guys we currently have or will have in the future as well. I think he’s starting to get settled in and connect with recruits and with him being younger then the rest of the staff he has an advantage.

I was just making my opinion that if Miller doesn’t come to KU (given he’s already a top 25 2020 kid) with the connection he has with Howard then we’ll have to discuss that when it comes up.

• BShark said:

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Article/Kentucky-Wildcats-hosting-top-50-junior-Marcedus-Leech-for-unoff-53378575

He hold early offers from Kansas, Iowa State, Miami, Missouri, Vanderbilt and Washington among others, but told D1Vision that Kentucky is his dream school.

Just another kid KU was supposedly the early favourite for that will end up at UK, Duke or AZ.

It’s not like we have heard anything about KU’s involvement in almost a year with him. The staff might be after others but I wouldn’t agree with that decision. Leech is worth attention

• @BeddieKU23

Yeah it would be a bad look if KU wanted Miller but missed. For anyone that doesn’t know, Jerrance went to high school with Miller’s mom. The recent unofficial visit was a complete slam dunk, home run etc…

Assuming Barrett reclassifies, Leech was actually my preferred realistic target for wing/guard in 19. Doesn’t look likely now though. I’d keep an eye on Terrence Hargrove JR now. KU is in on a lot of combo forward types, but I think the staff views them as bigs/post players. Ie Hurt, C Lawson, JRE etc…

• J Smart to LSU.

• Just realized LSU and Missouri are in same conference with same mascot. Smh

• approxinfinity said:

Just realized LSU and Missouri are in same conference with same mascot. Smh

Auburn as well.

• @BShark tigers and tigers and tigers. Oh my! 🙄

• Howard did suck early on at landing his targets, there’s no disputing that. He had a lot of misses on high profile players and even some 3-4 year guys. The reality is that Howard is finally finding his footing in recruiting for KU and is finally starting to land more players so the idea of replacing him is becoming less appealing for now as long as he keeps landing solid players. Now if the players he’s landing flame out or don’t live up to expectations, then that’s a problem. Cliff Alexander was his first big time signing and that didn’t go well. He was also the lead on a couple of the other “issue” players if I’m not mistaken. While I’m not ready to say I have no worries about Snacks going forward, I do believe the leash is getting longer based on what he’s accomplishing right now.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Is it really his fault if players don’t pan out? Isn’t Bill the one who watches these guys and picks the ones he wants out? Then he sends the minions to do his bidding?

• @Kcmatt7 In some cases, absolutely it’s Snacks fault. If he’s their position coach and they don’t develop, that 100% falls in Snacks.

The assistant coaches are usually the first ones to bring a player to World’s attention in the first place because Self can’t be everywhere. Too many misses like that and it would absolutely make someone question Snacks eye for talent as well.

• Looks like Naz Reid might pop for LSU soon. Hoo boy.

• @BShark Where’d you hear that?

• @wissox

Just le scuttlebutttt currently. They kind of came out of nowhere here to get his first ov and are um, making a real push if you know what I mean. Even UK people are saying LSU, and they ALWAYS say UK.

It’s pretty crazy how crummy SEC schools with average to below average coaches who put forth not so great results continue to get top players. It’s almost like recruiting is shady. 😲

• @wissox Doesn’t hurt that they got Smart to commit either as I believe him and Reid are friends right? - - - don’t think we had to much of a shot a Reid anyways, I was hearing he was Kentucky, could be wrong. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY