Crootin Thread III, Wherein Some Players Probably Commit to KU

• What’s the latest on Moore? We sure could use him for in 18/19

• Ok, here is another question. With the very distinct probability of Jontay Porter committing to Mizzery to play with his Brother Michael - -Wouldn’t you think that would have a tendency for Tilmon to kind of look elsewhere? - -Jontay pretty decent player also I could very easily see him and Michael both in the starting line up just curious to see how that might effect Tilmon’s decision.

Going to be kind of interesting also even though not really thinking it will effect us in any way but surposedly Duval close to announcing for Duke - -BUT Mark Smith who is also a heavy Duke is going to announce tomorrow night at 6 - -both PG and heavy Duke see how that works out , - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• I thought Mark Smith was between Illinois and MSU? But what do I know I don’t follow HS kids too closely until they sign with KU. I don’t get invested in a kid that’s not invested in me (with a KU commitment). It saves on a lot of grief.

• @dylans True. Smith is in on Michigan St and a lot seem to think that’s where he will end up. I should of said that Duke had been pushing on him hard lately and they were talking about him making his announcement tomorrow night. - -I don’t think they will lost to much sleep on him if he picks Michigan State and they end up with Duval. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54 The fact that Duke even talked to Mark Smith is not a good sign for them though. As far as landing Duval that is.

Duval could still end up declaring Duke and playing overseas. Knox was offered $1.4M to play in China. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Duval offered something similar.

• @jayballer54

If Jontay decides to reclassify and play with his brother I can see Tilmon having second thoughts. This is one time where nepotism might hurt MU. 😃

• @JayHawkFanToo Jontay Did re-classify. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54 I stand corrected - -Could of swore he did re-classify - -BUT not quite yet I guess , went back trough thought I had read where he had, but not yet - -but I think we all have a pretty good feel that he is going to. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• dylans said:

I thought Mark Smith was between Illinois and MSU? But what do I know I don’t follow HS kids too closely until they sign with KU. I don’t get invested in a kid that’s not invested in me (with a KU commitment). It saves on a lot of grief.

Looks like Illinois is the latest scuttlebutt.

• Well I see Duke offered McCormack and the cb picks rolled in ofc.

• @BShark Probably just guys trying to get big 247 points and move up the leaderboards.

• Seems like Duke has backed off Romeo Langford.

• @BShark I think he ends up at UCLA, Indiana, Louisville or KU. Just a hunch…

• @Kcmatt7

Would love to see him at KU. Didn’t figure him as a realistic option when Duke was heavily involved. Indiana/Louisville/KU def all recruiting him pretty hard.

• Having visions of Langford and Grimes now. MERCY.

• @BShark I’m sure that a man wearing a polo with three stripes approached his momma about all the benefits of going to one of those top tier schools I listed… Probably coincided with the Duke cooling. But was completely random…

• BShark said:

Oh and https://twitter.com/chris_teahan11/status/856890224902909952

Invited walk-on? Connors brother?

• @dylans

Correct on both accounts my man.

• Charlie Moore to KU, it’s official now.

• @BShark a lot of guys sitting on the bench.

• @Crimsonorblue22

Our 1st semester sit out team is better than KSU. LOL.

• @BShark depth worries me!

• @Crimsonorblue22

Not worried about the guards at all. Svi coming back solves it all really. Stellar guard depth and he could play the 4 as needed. If Svi is gone, I think we need a big that is eligible immediately.

• @BShark Did Moore commit to KU? buddy? ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

Already in a KU jersey on his twitter profile pic my man.

https://twitter.com/CharlieM2_

• @jayballer54 OK, so help me out. - -What exactly is a grant - -in - -aid? - -That is what the Lawson’s and Moore are all on at KU - -is that schlorships? - if not what is the difference?. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @BShark Ya just read the article about him and the Lawson’s coming to KU. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54 I wonder with our guard situation - -think we are pretty deep, and with us pretty heavy on Grimes and Dotson bot pretty heavy leans for us at the present if one or the other ends up committing wonder how that will effect Markese? - Is that his name right? - -you think he might back off? - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

Markese is all in, and will be handed the keys to the program provided he develops as expected. Also, Moore played AAU with the Jacobs bros.

I’m thinking, maybe KU doesn’t end up with Dotson. I wouldn’t be broken up about that.

• @jayballer54

Need based financial aid provided to students. Legal workaround to pay for the kids college expenses when you don’t have scholarships available.

• @BShark

Is KU now one big away from having all it needs for the upcoming season? I take it that Duval is no longer an option?

• @JayHawkFanToo

A big or Svi returning imo.

• There was an interesting caveat at the end of that article, it said “barring a waiver from the NCAA, Moore will have to sit out a season.” Is this waiver even a possibility for Moore? Kindof caught me off guard on that one.

• @RockkChalkk

I don’t think he will get it, but he might as well TRY to. His dad had a stroke and he wanted to transfer back somewhere in the midwest to be closer to him.

• I will say this one more time. I think SVI is gone whether he declares for the draft, stays in or not. If he doesn’t draft in the NBA then there are a lot of NBA teams that are telling iffy players to go over sea’s for a season play and then enter the following year. I feel this will be the case for SVI , return home and then declare again next year for the NBA. – Sorry to say but I think if your really honest - -his stock isn’t going to raise that much by coming back for another year at KU. - No matter he is NOT going to be a 1st round pick, so I really believe he will go back home play a year earn a little money and then declare again next season. This will leave us the one available also for Tilmon or another big hopefully. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

I respectfully disagree. Svi’s patents are both college professors and value education highly and they have indicated in the past that they would like to see him get his college degree. His stock will not get any lower by coming back and he can actually bump it up quite a bit with a good season. He is still very young so, unlike older players, there is no urgency on his part to go to the NBA and he does not have a family or possee to support. My guess is he comes back.

• BShark said:

http://247sports.com/Player/Jules-Bernard-85588

Got a KU offer.

Quoting myself!

KU is pretty much his first BIG offer. UCLA is keeping tabs but hasn’t offered. Looks like an in-home visit will happen and he had very nice things to say about KU in an interview on 247.

• Just saw that McCoy picked UNLV over MSU and Oregon. Wow.

• @JayHawkFanToo And that is what’s good about the site. - -We can agree to disagree. We shall see, I just don’t see it happening. SVI like so many others can ALWAYS return and get their degree at any later given time. Not anyone saying about having to support family. Plus and to disagree SVI 'S stock will not jump drastically , he has just about hit his potential as far as NBA status goes - he would have to have an off the charts for him to rise as drastic as what your talking about. - -Most drafts had him middle of the 2nd to not drafted this year. He will not ever be a 1st round, just not that much time for that big of improvement. There is no way he would have even close to the type of season Frank had this past season. Using Frank for an example, he wasn’t on anyone’s draft before the season began NOW even with the season he had he is still low 2nd round to possible very low end of the middle 2nd.

True Frank & SVI different players, different positions but it would take close to that type of season for SVI to get to the 1st round again from not being drafted to middle of the 2nd by most drafts to what your looking for 1st round - -just not happening.

But again that’s what’s good about here, everyone welcome to their opinion. We shall see. - - . - -if you remember back when SVI 1st came to KU he was saying he was looking at TWO years that was all, so feel fortunate that he has played three, his whole intentions were to be here for TWO years, Coach Self has even brought that up in past discussions. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @BShark Kind of seems like a lefty BG.

But maybe one that isn’t a jackass.

And I expect UCLA, USC and Oregon to get on him now… Have to protect those recruiting grounds.

• @jayballer54

This is the first draft where he was not projected to be a first round pick and you could say it is more because of the other available players. Svi is only 19 years old and he would be 20 when he enters the draft after playing one more year at KU or the same age as Josh Jackson.

As far as comparing him with Mason, it is apples and oranges and it has nothing to do with the positions they play. The main reason Mason is not a first round pick is his height; if he is 3-4 inches taller he is a top 3-5 pick. Isaiah Thomas of the Celtics, one of the better players in the NBA, was taken with the last pick of the draft (#60) and he is an inch shorter than Mason. Svi has the perfect build and skill set for his position and with his age not being an issue he could easily move to the first round with one additional year of experience; heck, I would not be surprised if a team picks him in the first round this upcoming draft.

• GMs lose their minds over measurables. Anthony Bennett went #1 because he was long and could jump, but he couldn’t ball.

• Kcmatt7 said:

@BShark Kind of seems like a lefty BG.

But maybe one that isn’t a jackass.

And I expect UCLA, USC and Oregon to get on him now… Have to protect those recruiting grounds.

Probably much more able than BG to actually play guard at the college level. Depends on how much more he develops but I think he would have the potential to be a 2/3 under Self and actually defend opposing guards decently. Kid can definitely fill it up either way though.

Here is a highlight video

• @BShark He definitely has better lateral movement than BG. At least it seems that way. Hard to tell until you put a D1 level guard in front of him.

The type of guy I’m glad Self is on early though. Back end of top 100 and clearly underrated. Multi-year project too. I’m sure he will be on campus for Late Night. Just hope we can land him early in the recruiting season.

• @Kcmatt7 my lateral movement is better too!

• @JayHawkFanToo like I said we shall see. you think he will - - -I think he won’t. Neither one of us will change our opinion. ROCK CHALK ALL ADY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

I did no say my position is set in stone, it is not and it could easily change as more draft information becomes available.

Based on what I have read to date, I believe that if the options are KU or Euro ball, he comes back to KU. I really do not believe he will stay in the draft unless he has assurances he will get selected in the first round but you never know. Euro Ball will always be an option so I would think he is not in a hurry since he is still very young.