Kansas is Still Loaded: Breaking Down Jayhawks' 2017-18 Roster

• Nice share @Statmachine

The one thing that’s been a constant at Kansas is the recruiting. Roy always had solid classes, Self seems like he finds one or two guys late that make impacts for his teams.

Next year should be another solid team if those who are to return do as the article points out.

• Thanks for sharing. We will be loaded next year, and that is why we KU fans should feel optimistic (as is usual) once we get over our grieving phase this season. Another team that is capable of getting 14 straight B12s, and a legit NC contender. Rock Chalk all the way!!!

• Newman-2015 McDonald’s All-american

Udoka Azubuike-2016 McDonald’s All-american

Carlton Bragg-2015 McDonald’s All-american

Billy Preston-2017 McDonald’s All-american

How long has it been since we have had 4 McDonald’s All-american’s on one team? We could still get one more too if things work out with Trevon Duval or M.J. Walker?

• Carlton Bragg starting, Malik Newman on the bench. Ignored article.

• @Statmachine said:

Newman-2015 McDonald’s All-american

Udoka Azubuike-2016 McDonald’s All-american

Carlton Bragg-2015 McDonald’s All-american

Billy Preston-2017 McDonald’s All-american

How long has it been since we have had 4 McDonald’s All-american’s on one team? We could still get one more too if things work out with Trevon Duval or M.J. Walker?

KU isn’t even really recruiting Walker as far as I can tell.

• @Statmachine said:

• Russ Rob
    • Mario
    • Julian Wright
    • Sherron Collins
    • Darrell Arthur

• 2014-2015

Perry Ellis, Wayne Selden, Kelly Oubre & Cliff Alexander if I remember correctly were all McDonalds AA.

• Does not include 15/16

Kansas McDonald’s All-Americans Darnell Valentine (1977) Greg Dreiling (1981) Danny Manning (1984) Rick Calloway (1985) Tony Guy (1985) Mark Randall (1986) Mike Maddox (1987) Darrin Hancock (1990) Ben Davis (1991) Calvin Rayford (1991) Jacque Vaughn (1993) Raef LaFrentz (1994) Paul Pierce (1995) Ryan Robertson (1995) Lester Earl (1996) Eric Chenowith (1997) Kenny Gregory (1997) Jeff Boschee (1998) Nick Collison (1999) Aaron Miles (2001) Wayne Simien (2001) J.R. Giddens (2003) David Padgett (2003) Mario Chalmers (2005) Micah Downs (2005) Julian Wright (2005) Darrell Arthur (2006) Sherron Collins (2006) Cole Aldrich (2007) Xavier Henry (2009) Josh Selby (2010) Perry Ellis (2012) Wayne Selden, Jr. (2013) Andrew Wiggins (2013) Cliff Alexander (2014) Kelly Oubre (2014)

• When is the article going to be done covering the many.many guys who left early and now have basically nothing? This era is pretty bad. For every Wiggins we have Henry, Selby, Cliff. Heck even guys who leave with only a year or two left like Wayne. I still dont get why going into a situation(NBA) where you basically only play games and dont practice is better then practicing under a Hall of fame coach for another season. I’ve learned to hate the “go when your stock is at its highest” crap.

Go look at the guys from UK’s 2012 champ roster. Doron Lamb and Teague are already out of the league.

• I needed an article like this to brighten my spirits. The loss over the weekend was tough and it has been super gray in Chicago for the last 6 or 7 days which has added to a state of being a bit depressed!

This little article reminds me how the tournament is not everything for me. It is a big part of the equation as it is for all fans and I am always really bummed when we lose (88 and 2008 being the exceptions in my lifetime) but life as a KU basketball fan goes on. I love the recruiting discussion. I love the “who will play where and with who” discussion. I love the fact that we will be a different kind of team with Doke next year. It is all part of the fun of being lucky enough to be a fan of a special program like KU. Above all I just love the memories that KU provided me as a child, student and now father of Jayhawk fans. The since of community that KU basketball has given me will always be be a higher high for me than the lows of our tournament woes.

Rock Chalk.

• @BigBad Maybe you and I are social outcasts. I mean, I get why an 18/19 year old kid would want a wheelbarrow full of money handed to him and more P**** than the local animal shelter (of course, they can get that in college too…) - but seriously, the money can’t wait 2 or 3 more years? Does nobody have patience anymore? I’m not picking on Josh Jackson - I’m just using his name because he’s “famous”, but if he stayed at KU for 4 years he literally would own every record that pertains to college basketball at Kansas. He would be a legend. Some might even someday mention him in the same breath at Wilt Chamberlain. GASP.

Speaking for myself only - 5, 10 years from now I’m going to tell someone about this incredible kid that was the heart and soul of KU - Frank Mason. Then I’ll ask around - “Hey - who was that kid with the big hair that could jump like a kangaroo?” I literally won’t remember his name. I promise.

It’s not their fault - the OAD’s - it’s our society. It’s greed. It’s impatience. Too bad the kids don’t stick around, get their degrees and enjoy the college experience. The money will be there.

• @nuleafjhawk

These kids can’t predict having a horrible injury. They should get paid asap imo. Especially if they don’t have much else to fall back on to earn a living.

• @BShark You can have an injury or illness at any given time in your life. What’s Josh Jackson gonna do if he blows out his knee next year? Well, I guess he’ll have plenty of time to go back to school then…

• I did hear that josh and his mom wanted him to stay, I’m sure coach will tell him to go. They can buy insurance.

• @BigBad Russ Rob was not a McDonald’s…I don’t think…but your point was well taken.

• @Crimsonorblue22 If Josh Jackson stays one more year - I will wear a diaper to work.

• @nuleafjhawk

I will eat a shoe.

And if Josh blows out his knee next year at least he will have got that first NBA contract.

• @BShark We’ll be a spectacle. Glad we won’t have to worry about it.

Side note - I’ll bet every NBA team has a lawyer or two that can make that first year contract not very lucrative to the blown out knee player.

• @BShark said:

@nuleafjhawk

And if Josh blows out his knee next year at least he will have got that first NBA contract.

Giles will still be a 1st round pick after TWO blown out knees.

I wasnt talking about sure fire top 10 guys. I’m talking about guys like Wayne Selden. He threw away a senior year for what? A 10 day contract?

• @BShark said:

@nuleafjhawk

These kids can’t predict having a horrible injury. They should get paid asap imo. Especially if they don’t have much else to fall back on to earn a living.

Like a degree.

• @BigBad he has a 2 year contract now

• Optimistically Jackson could come back and be the #1 pick next year. He’s widely regarded as the #3 pick right now in a loaded draft. Next year he would be a cinch for the #1 spot unless some freshman blew up. Another year to sharpen his shooting skills would definitely make him a more complete player to scouts that worry about his ceiling on a NBA team.

Having said that we know he’s leaving, he’s 20 I believe, so he’s old for a freshman and he did enough here in his one year to deserve to pack his bags up and become a professional. It’s only a matter of time and I can’t wait to see how his competitiveness thrives at the next level.

• Do recall reading that Self said he wasn’t going to ‘tweak’ Josh’s shot at KU…would let that up to the NBA. Another year of college ball with the same shooting mechanics may not be in Josh’s best interest.

• Yeah Self took that approach because he knew Josh would only be here one year.

• Jackson is too skilled to have an injury completely derail an NBA career. But you’re more likely to get injured in the NBA.

If he wants to transform his body a little more, he should stay in college.

And shot mechanics can be worked on starting now.

• @Blown I could put together a team of non-Mickey’s and win the league. Frank, Devonte, Withey, T Rob, E.J., Releford, T. Taylor, Brady and Sasha. I’d even take one of Roy’s walk-ons, Dr. Moody.

• @BigBad

Lots of NBA teams are now weary of Giles and he might drop to the second round. No question he has talent but the injury history is worrisome. Oden is still the poster boy for drafting players with known injury histories and Embiid might end up there although he still has not reached that point.

BTW, Selden now has a full 2-year contract with the Grizzlies and he even started one game already.