The Core Group and 1 OAD Model--a Model We Could Live With

• Replacing players with at most 4 seasons of eligibility has always been part of what has created the drama and prevented sclerosis of the college game, and it strangely has even helped it survive the problems of HYPER TURNOVER from OAD stacking.

4 years enables continuity, development, bonding and change.

D1 used to be a series of 3-4 year dramas. Could the coach develop and fit the pieces together in 3-4 years? If not, new 3-4 year drama unfolded.

OADs and other early departures now make it more of a 2-3 year drama at programs that rely on < 3 OADs each season.

Look at how much Frank (and Devonte) allowed Self to change the way KU plays, regardless of who the OADs were.churning through. A lot. It was dramatic. Not boring. Familiar enough to bond with but not so static as to be predictably boring.

Now Change again.

Core groups with a revolving OAD.

A nice mix.

I am beginning to think 1 OAD a season is optimal from a fan stand point and should be instituted.

One OAD can really help a team, but be endured if he can’t cut it–a drama in itself.

Each season we would assess our core group. Where are they on their development arc? Is the OAD a likely good complementary fit? Will he be the missing peace? Drama.

There are constructive entertainment values and destructive ones. Constructive one heighten the game itself. Destructive ones become more important than the game itself.

10 OADs on a team become a 1 year drama of seeing if 10 OADs can be stopped.

A core group and one OAD become a completion and a drama taking place on many campuses to see which “team” can fit the pieces together the best–what the D1 game has, at its best, always been about.

Spread the OADs around 10-20 programs and it’s still a core group main course dish. The OAD is the spice, not the whole dish. But what a spice he can be!

Josh Jackson becomes the gold standard for an OAD. Plays hard. Develops fast. Completes the core group, rather than replacing it.

At the same time a player of Frank’s extraordinary stature is unmistakable and a beloved, heart felt loss.

It’s all good.

Never thought I could say that about the OAD era.

• @jaybate-1.0 Since the nba controls the OAD rule, what if the ncaa fought back so to speak by implementing a rule that says you can extend no more than X number of scholarships per year? You still get 14 total (or whatever the number is), but there would be a max per year which could limit stacking and create more of a chance for 3-4 year players. I’m sure my idea has huge flaws, but it struck me as a possible way to get back to more “true” teams and collegiate athletics (college being a 4 year odyssey).