Anyone Heard Where Hunter Michelson Went this Season?

• Each time I see Dwight Coleby in cryo-ice at the end of the bench, I think of Hunter.

• Not sure KU has ever had a player with this last name on the roster. 😆

• Over 11 pts, over 7 rebs per game starting. His team is 9-15. 3 Americans in starting lineup. That league doesn’t limit teams to 1 or 2 Americans like some overseas leagues.

• Yes - what’s the story with Coleby ? Knee not 100% ?? In the few instances he has played, he looked pretty solid… Tarik black comes to mind…

• @Bosthawk not even close to tarik, so far

• @Bosthawk Knee is not fully healed yet. Basketball players use lateral mobility more than any other sport so ACL tears for basketball players take much longer to fully heal because of the need for lateral mobility compared to football or baseball players. Coleby should be 100% next year.

• @Crimsonorblue22 Yes, but he is not easily moved out of the box and seems to be a foul machine like Tarik was early on… I love Mitch, but he is a featherweight right now

• The average salary for a professional player from the Czech Republic is between $20,000 and $50,000 per year. American D1 players can make up to $70,000.

collage.jpg

• @wrwlumpy did your mean D league lol

• @kjayhawks No I believe Mr Lumpy did mean college D1 American players who play in that league…

Bit of a non-sequiter, but I’d love to Know what Jamari is currently making as an Oberwart Gunner in the Austrian Bundesliga … looks like he is rockin it and his team is at or near the top of the league

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Lots of sites with ACL surgery recovery time for athletes/basketball players and the consensus seems to be about 9 months plus or minus a couple of months. The typical time to full recovery from ACL surgery in the NBA is 8-12 months, anything beyond that is usually due to the wait for the season to start. Rose had the longest recovery and it was 17 months. I believe it has been a year and a half and counting for Coleby and he still cannot jump much. At this time I am inclined to think it is more mental or his condition is such that he will just not get better than where he is now.

• @Bosthawk I see that now must have read it too quickly.

• @JayHawkFanToo Or his surgery might have been less successful than they thought…

• @mayjay

That type of surgery is now pretty routine; I just saw a story where new techniques can cut recovery time in half.

• @mayjay Giles had to get his"cleaned" up

• @JayHawkFanToo Being recovered to where someone is medically cleared and recovered to where they are as close as possible to pre injury condition and ability are two different things.

• @JayHawkFanToo It could also be a rehab or reinjury problem slowing things.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

The recovery times I posted are total times to back to original condition, or as close as it gets. Coleby’s recovery had taken an unusually long time, considerably longer than initially projected by KU staff and there is no indication that additional surgery is contemplated so it would appear there is no additional damage or indication the original surgery was not successful.

Realistically speaking, if the injury has not fully healed by now, chances are it will not heal any further and either he will have to learn to play with what he is got or if he is favoring the other knee, as it is often the case, he might end up injuring that one as well. Tough situation for the young man.

• @JayHawkFanToo Have you ever dealt with these kinds of injuries? Do you understand what the ACL holds together? It’s the ligament in the middle of your knee that connects your kneecap to the fibula. Lateral mobility is always the last thing to fully recover. Go look at the history of NFL running backs coming back from ACL tears. They very rarely look like their old selves until their second full season back and it’s because that’s how long it takes the lateral mobility to return.

Basketball players use lateral mobility as a whole more than any other sport. Even NBA guys who’ve gone through ACL tears rarely return to old form until their second full year back because of how long it takes to restrengthen the ACL to handle the lateral movements necessary to perform at a high level.

All the article you linked to did was state when a player returned to the court which means medically cleared, not when they returned to playing like they did prior to their injury. A player can get medically cleared to return in 9-12 months, sometimes sooner, but again that does not mean they are back to where they were prior to the injury immediately. That takes time no matter who you are (unless you’re Adrian Peterson), and Coleby is still working his knee into game condition.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

No, I have been lucky and have not personally had ACL surgery, if that is what you are asking, but I know several people including friends and acquaintances that have had the surgery. One of them was a nationally ranked professional tennis player and it took him about 9 months to get back to competitive shape and move up in the rankings; his surgery was in the early 2000s when techniques were not nearly as good as they are today and he retired a few years later.

The times in the link I provided was for NBA players from the time of surgery to when they played their first game; they were obviously medically cleared before that. Coleby was medically cleared a long time ago. Here is a link where Coach Self indicates that Coleby had been cleared and he shoul be ready to go…the article is from August of last year and Coleby played in the first exhibition game and many games since then. It appears that his recovery is permanently stalled as his explosiveness does not appear to have improved since then.

You can google ACL recovery time and you will find literally thousand of references and the consensus seems to be 9 months to full recovery, in as much as you can recover from that type of injury anyway. I believe @ralster is in the medical field and perhaps he can enlighten us both…unless you are doctor yourself in which case I will defer to your expertise.

• @wrwlumpy

Thx for pictures of the old home place.

• @JayHawkFanToo Playing in a game and being fully recovered are not the same things, but keep telling yourself that.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

I posted links with actual data and even Coach Self’s comments about it but you can see it any way you want…or maybe I should just say…ditto…

• Unfortunately, I have first-hand (I mean, "first-knee) experience with this subject.

None of us can really assess Dwight’s recovery time or whether or not he will ever fully recover to get back his previous athletic capabilities.

There are several possible “fixes” for an ACL tear, and the path taken depends on many factors including the severity of the injury as well as the potential to make a come back and play again and also the skill set of the surgeon. Surgeons in the sports area obviously tend to be more gifted at repair procedures giving the athlete the best change of a full recovery with ability to play competitively again. My ACL tear was only part of my injury as a I also suffered a complete patellar tendon tear.

Because of my age (being in my mid-30s) and the fact that I wasn’t making a fat pro salary (or ever would) and because of the severity of the injury my playing days were over. I had a top-notch sports surgeon who wasted zero time telling me that I would need play again.

Many ACL injuries require a tendon graft, and those grafts can be taken from various places. Here is a pretty good read on that, where the graft is taken from the patellar tendon.

http://www.houstonmethodist.org/orthopedics/where-does-it-hurt/knee/patellar-reconstruction-acl/

And then there is the psychological side of it all. My injury happened over 20 years ago and I still do not have the same trust with that knee, and I battle pains, stiffness and permanent muscular atrophy in my quad, even after extensive rehab that took 2 solid years of suffering to accomplish. I had to learn how to walk again and then there was back issues that followed. Since I don’t play or even run at full speed, the trust issue became known the first time I climbed a ladder. Luckily, Dwight’s injury wasn’t as extensive as mine, but the point is that every ACL tear tends to be slightly different and has many factors involved so we can’t just lump prognosis into one common statement.

I liked Bill’s explanation… that Dwight was cleared to play but just hasn’t received his “snap” back.

My guess… either it is psychological (trust issue), it is a physical issue (most likely related to strengthen all the tendons/muscles in that area), or most-likely a combination of both. The “snap” issue is quite complex to fix when athletes don’t get it back quickly. Many then never get it back, regardless how hard the athlete works to rehab. Genetics also plays a key in this.