#13 Is Closer, But What About Those Bears?

• With every victory, the next game gets more important. Really, unbearably important. And there is no more important game for us to date than Baylor on Saturday. Our guys are finding ways to win, but Baylor looms, especially that ridiculous front line of Motley and Lual-Acuil. Lecomte will likely play his best game of the year against us. So will Wainwright.

I heard coach talking this week about Frank’s offense. Coach said with Frank making 50% of his 3’s, he wants Frank to shoot more. Coach also mentioned teams are doubling Frank, so other players have to recognize the double team and get open. This will be a game where Landen may finally make his mark as an inside scorer. Like Perry, Landen struggles against taller defenders. I still think it’s a lack of confidence. Imagine if Landen had Frank’s confidence. Double, double from Landen, 20 from Frank and Josh, and we cruise to number thirteen. RCJH

• Another huge challenge, for certain. Especially after a week in which major attention has continually reverted to the W. VA game. Gotta hope that Baylor co-eds remain close to their dorms this week, so that no more front page negative news reports regarding the Bear athletic program detracts from the significance of this contest.

• This is one of those games on the schedule that is generally meaningless for Kansas. An expected loss. If take care of the rest of our business, it doesn’t matter because of the quality of the competition and being on the road. If we win, does our star really shine that much brighter? Folks that know Kansas wouldn’t be surprised if we won, so not sure we get much of a bump. We’re #1 seed no matter what happens with this game, as long as we go 3-1 or 4-0 in the final games, and get to the conference tourney finals.

• Baylor by 8.

Agree with HEM as long as they finish the last 4 an L this weekend has no impact on the streak or 1 seed.

This team needs to steal some rest. It is not built to play 3 in a row for big 12 tourney then turn around and play Thursday//Saturday NCAA games.

• I actually thinking losing at OSU is more likely than losing Saturday. OSU has been on a roll and we always forget to get off the bus in Stillwater.

Don’t get me wrong I think Baylor will be pumped to win this game and its more important for them then us in the grand scheme of things. But its an early start and traditionally Waco is a place that isn’t as tough to play as others on our schedule. I think this is another pride game for KU and I expect we will play with enough toughness to pull it out. I was less confident earlier in the week when emotions from the improbable comeback victory Monday were still fresh. But with 5 days to rest and prepare I’m thinking these guys just go in with that killer instinct and get it done

• @HighEliteMajor said:

This is one of those games on the schedule that is generally meaningless for Kansas. An expected loss. If take care of the rest of our business, it doesn’t matter because of the quality of the competition and being on the road. If we win, does our star really shine that much brighter? Folks that know Kansas wouldn’t be surprised if we won, so not sure we get much of a bump. We’re #1 seed no matter what happens with this game, as long as we go 3-1 or 4-0 in the final games, and get to the conference tourney finals.

Not sure I would characterize it as meaningless, but Baylor should reasonably be expected to hold serve on its home court. Even with the L, we would still have a one game lead would be in control of our own destiny for #13 and a #1 seed. But, how high is the confidence level that we go 3-1 or 4-0 is the final 4 games? Stillwater has been almost as problematic as Morgantown for us. Texas feels like a potential trap game? And, while we would typically chalk up OU and TCU at AFH as easy wins, nothing has been easy for this group this year - has been quite a while since we’ve had a comfortable win, even at AFH.

Even with losses at Baylor and OSU, we should still do no worse than a tie for the conference title. But, 3 more losses (if one in the conference tournament) would imperil a #1 seed - esp. if Baylor has tied for the title and we’ve split - they’ve had the better overall strength of schedule and I’m skeptical that the B12 ends up with 2 #1 seeds.

• All KU has to do is win at home against TCU and OU and win one out of three on the road against Baylor, Texas or OSU and the worst it ends up is tied for the title; a win at Baylor and holding at home locks the title.

• @JayHawkFanToo no ties please

• @Crimsonorblue22

I will let the team know…

• Baylor has the toughest remaining schedule. KU, @ ISU, West Virginia.

• Interesting that the Austin newspaper on its front page has an article about our game vs Baylor with no quotes from Smart and no article about the UT game. Here is the article:

aas.jpg aas1.jpg aas3.JPG aas4.JPG

aas5.JPG

• @stoptheflop and of course let us not forget, - that for this ONE game Baylor’s Arena will be jammed packed to the hilt, and they will have some sweet little gimmick to try to get people more fired up, like a white out - -green out -purple put something, this will be the ONE game where fans will be going bonkers and thinking it was for the NCAA Championship, Because our Jersey has Kansas written across the front of it - - All of this to be followed up by their NEXT home game where if your lucky and even count the venders at the game there may be only enough people to dill a corner of the arena and STILL hear a pin drop. - -This happens because we ARE KU the home game of the year for these people smh - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Blown Only thing is - - WERE not losing to Baylor - -Baylor & 8 NO WAY - - I’m looking more like KU and anywhere from 8-10 - they busting loose, Pressure is on Baylor if they want ANY KIND of chance even remote of trying to get a share of the championship, we are 2 games up right now. - -More pressure on them then us. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @BeddieKU23 You know this is starting to get more and more scary. Every time I have come into a discussion lately I’ll post a response to it before I even get to your comment and come to find out that we are agreeing or thinking more alike ALL THE TIME - - - NOT GOOD LOL. - -I just posted before I saw yours - - I was talking that actually there is more pressure on Baylor then us in this game and I too feel our chances of getting beat is a lot better at Okla St then Baylor right now. - - Okla St has been hot, their atmosphere is a lot more rowdy, lot of different ingredients with them. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @DCHawker THREE AND ONE worst case Scenario - -best chance for an L - - Okla St. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• I love the candid photo in the above newspaper article. Coach is intense, Svi looks nervous and Udoka is looking to the heavens, well probably the scoreboard. Come on guys, bring the heat on Saturday.

• @jayballer54

Well we must find something to disagree on then! Ha

If you had asked me Tuesday about the Baylor Game I probably would have said we’ll get beat by a bakers dozen but I think Baylor losing Monday put the pressure on them especially with the games they have left. Getting swept by KU will be kind of demoralizing for a team that has played so well all season long. And playing in Waco has never been known to be big home court advantage so I think our guys will be able to handle it.

• I think we will win tomorrow by 5 points or so. Interesting enough Myron Medcalf over at ESPN thinks we will sweep the Bears and predicted a 77-75 game.

• @chsguy2008 my heart can’t take all these close games!

• @DCHawker Yea, my assumption is we go 3-1 or 4-0 the rest of the way after Baylor. I do think, like you mentioned, OSU is an issue. But Texas is a pud. I’m confident we win that, particularly being more focused on the road.

That said, personally, I will sleep just fine if the Big 12 streak comes to an end knowing that we have a legit shot at a national title. We’ll win the Big 12 though. And heck, we’re even money in my mind at Baylor.

Also, as an aside, I kind of wonder if @JayHawkFanToo’s boy, Lightfoot, has earned more PT. He played better than Bragg (who had a Traylor-like line last game – without all the energy, of course).

• @Crimsonorblue22 Take your meds, cuz this will be a close one. Unfortunately.

• @hawkmoon2020 every dang one!

• @HighEliteMajor

My boy Lightfoot is still adjusting to College ball; he will be a solid 4 year player. If he can provide 5-10 minutes of solid defense, a couple of rebounds and no turnovers per game this season I am happy; points, blocks and assist are a bonus.

• @Blown i think Tulsa is Friday/Sunday

• Said it before and will say it again, some coaches just have the magic mojo over other coaches… Self totally owns Drew.

Jayhawks win this one, but we let our guard down (or they let us down, ha!) lose one more to a lesser team down the road. But we still win #13, still have #1 seed.

• @JayHawkFanToo I’m liking what I’m seeing with Lightfoot … obvious upside.

• @HighEliteMajor I love his bench body language. Has anyone ever seen him dejected. He reminds me of Releford in his redshirt year–always first off to cheer on the team, laughing, just basically enjoying the hell out of being a Jayhawk.

• One game at a time

• IMG_2878.JPG Neon out game

• I think we will win 4 of the next 5, but some of you are forgetting the road is always tough in the B12. Baylor is #1 RPI for a reason, OSU is playing way better than when we saw them last and we always play bad there. Texas isn’t good but if we can’t stop Allen any better than we did in the fieldhouse it will be a tight game. TCU and OU should be give mes at home but we haven’t shown the ability to put anyone away. I think we can beat Baylor but it won’t be easy. We must come ready for a fight and start aggressive for once.

• @Crimsonorblue22 gosh those are hideous, I guess if the power goes out we won’t lose site of anyone 😂

• @kjayhawks comes w/health warning if you are prone to seizures beware!😳

• @HighEliteMajor

Kid is fearless and brings endless energy. Can you imagine Lightfoot with Bragg’s body?

• We’re going to beat Baylor today. I’m not sure why everyone is expecting a let down. We’re better than them.

• @HighEliteMajor distilled the strategic big picture, but I’m with @KUSTEVE that Self gambles and amps for a W today versus Failor.

Why?

There is a little known Selfian Rule:

THE THINNER YOUR TEAM THE SOONER YOU TRY TO WIN THE TITLE.

If Self had depth on his side, the smart move would be to view this exactly as HEM explained it.

But he has so little depth, and likely already has guys playing through the ragged edge of under-reported, that he can’t risk waiting for wins.

Win now while you still have 7 guys.

Getting a win over Baylor today sharply reduces the risk of any injuries down the road keeping KU from a title.

With any starter injured, KU would have to struggle mightily to win enough games after a loss to Failor.

Who would you rather try to steal a win from?

Scott Drew, when you’ve got seven cards, or any of the other B12 coaches. when you may only have six, or five?

Win today to buy injury insurance for the rest of the season.

Amp’em up, coach!

• @jaybate-1.0 I would like to think every college team tries to win every game. Now, I watched a few minutes of the KState/IState game and it was apparent that KState didn’t show up to play. Motley doesn’t seem to play hard the whole time he’s in; Motley plays in spurts. So if we just play our game and wait for Motley to go into hibernation mode, we will win in Waco.

• @stoptheflop

They do try to win every game.

Part of the way they do it is to modulate their emotional intensities and minutes played to fit the opponents in each 2 game in 3 days set they play. They try to have their peak performance against the toughest opponent, and they try to rest their best players as much as is useful against the weaker opponent.

• I think we come out with our A-game at Baylor. Road game that matters, lets see after 4 days of R & R, what we look like. We should know the scout.

I hope the BobbyKnight thing applies a bit here as well: Did Bill Self, who lives to disrupt the opponent, just get 5 days to prepare for Scot Drew and Baylor? (more than 3 days…). Why, yes he did…