Jayhawk Mountain

• jayhawkmountain.jpg

What a surprise… Kansas has found the top of the Big 12 again.

Now is the fun part when we get to hear sports wonks back-peddle their bs about us not winning the league again this year.

Okay… we have a long ways to go and there is no guarantees because we will have to earn it (as we always have to do). But, come on. I was already sick about hearing Baylor was going to do it. Scott Drew always finds a way to lose.

On the other hand… West Virginia… we better keep our eyes on the mountain men. Huggybear is the real deal and would be happy to be the one to end our streak. I still fear our game in Morgantown…

And I’m putting our team on notice. When I put up material like this it usually jinxes us. Our guys better come ready to play every game from here on out because the jinx is in! If we want to stay at the top, we better come ready to fight for it!

• @drgnslayr thinking I should flag this, just to be safe!

• @Crimsonorblue22

Drew said (after the game), "I have to say, this team on film, they have been impressive,” Drew said. “But in person, definitely the best pressing team coach Huggins has had.”

• @drgnslayr because he is the worst press breaking coach. All his strength is in bigs, doesn’t match up well.

• @drgnslayr said:

“Scott Drew always finds a way to lose.”

Drewisms:

There is no safe lead for Baylor as long as Scott Drew is on the bench.

There is no team more beatable than a Scott Drew coached team.

How many MCD All Americans does it take to overcome Scott Drew’s coaching? There aren’t that many in existence.

The best way to lose to Baylor is to get Scott Drew T-d up twice and thrown out of the game.

No malice. All in good fun. (Right @jaybate-1.0 ?)

• @nuleafjhawk wouldn’t it be better to have him on the bench?🤔

• @Crimsonorblue22 said:

@drgnslayr because he is the worst press breaking coach. All his strength is in bigs, doesn’t match up well.

drew is one of the worst coaches period! its just surprising everyone’s on the baylor bandwagon early that they are legit and big 12 has actual contenders. BIG 12 (- KU) IS GARBAGE!!! we provide this every year this year will be the same.

• I’m on board with all the Drew coaching criticism… but I’m a bit cautious because we haven’t exactly had success in Morgantown.

We need to win this game this year. We need to overcome areas of traditional weakness to be prepared for March.

• @drgnslayr or osu and ksu

• @Crimsonorblue22 Yes! I said the best way to LOSE to Baylor is to get Drew thrown out of the game… as long as he’s on the bench, we’re good.

• @drgnslayr coming into this year, I said that three road games will determine how well we do in March - OSU, WVU AND ISU. If we win those three, which we havent the last several years, then I predict this team will go to the final four. We can beat West Virginia at their place. We are the most equipped in the conference to pull it off. TCU was close the other day but Fisher had six turnovers that really hurt them.

Baylor as others have said is not a good press breaking team and Drew does not help. Our team puts four guards on the floor that can all handle the ball unlike Baylor. While WVU played well, Baylor’s turnovers cost them, specifically the careless mistakes like dribbling off a foot or bobbling a pass. We need to attack the pressure and get layups and open threes as a result. Its time for Frank and Landen to get their first win at Morgantown.

• You don’t beat teams like Oregon, Louisville and Xavier by being bad. Baylor is a legit and talented team but coaching is definitely below average…but we knew that already…however, WVU can be a match up nightmare for just about every team and that was in full display against Baylor.

WVU lead the NCAA in forcing turnover with 24.63 per game. in comparison, the number 2 team is Fordham that plays in a much weaker conference and has not played the schedule WVU has played and it forces 19.31 per game. Think about it, they force almost 5 more turnover per game than the next team while playing a much tougher schedule. Baylor had 29 turnovers last game. KU averages 12.5 turnovers per game.

Teams play defense in different ways. Some guard the inside, some guard the outside, some will use a zone, some like to give you poor looks and some will go man to man and most will play a combination of the above. WVU is unique in so far that the bulk of its defensive scheme is to cause turnovers, they thrive on it and they are good at it. They will press full court and press in the half court and constantly try to cause turnovers and if you don’t take care of the ball, they will dominate you.

Teams with weak back courts are particularly susceptible since they have trouble bringing the ball up court and setting up their half court game and turnovers often result in easy basket at the other end. The system does have a weakness. Since it overloads the back court with the full court press, teams with competent back courts that can quickly bring the ball up will often find unguarded players for easy baskets. I believe that with several payers capable of handling and bringing the ball up, KU will be less affected this time around and hopefully will result in easy baskets…I guess we will find out in 13 days.

• @nuleafjhawk I’m sllllloooooowww

• @JayHawkFanToo Brooks was gone!!! Repeat, that’s huge

• @JayHawkFanToo Baylor has not looked good the last few games. Oregon did not look good at all at the start of the season - I watched them in Maui and they struggled, but now they are picking it up and have gotten better. This is not the same Oregon team that Baylor beat. If we make WVU pay for their double teams we can beat them.

• @Crimsonorblue22

Oregon was ranked #4 at the time and yes, they dropped quite a bit but they never fell off the top 25. How about Louisville and Xavier, both legit teams? Should we say that KU’s win over #1 Duke is tainted because they had former McDonald’s All-Americans Jayson Tatum, Marques Bolden and Harry Giles in street clothes?

• @HawkChamp didn’t Brooks get kicked(👟) out and has to sit a few more?

• @JayHawkFanToo probably

• I heard after the Baylor court storming WV fans were chanting we want Kansas.

• @kjayhawks Be careful what you axe for…

• @Crimsonorblue22

Brooks has played 14 of Oregon’s 17 games, He averages 20.7 mpg and 13.8 ppg…Good player? Yes. The reason why Oregon is ranked high? No; Oregon has several other very capable players. You are making way too much of Brooks.

• @kjayhawks WAIT - did they say “We want Kansas” or “We want TO BE Kansas” ?

• What I noticed from West Virginia on defense was much of the same that we see every year but last night it seemed to be clicking on all cylinders. Baylor just gifted them a handful of possessions. It was a historically bad performance for Baylor. It doesn’t make Baylor overrated for losing one game no matter the score, they were one of 2 unbeaten’s going into last night playing a Top 10 team on the road and they got their lunch handed to them.

When we play them we have to look out for the high ball screen hedge that turns into a quick double team. Usually a big, either Adrian or one of their others is forcing a smaller guard to find someone over a bigger guard.

They do a great job of getting you to waste your 30 seconds doing nothing.

I suggest that Jackson is the screener in these cases because his cut to the basket after can be utilized with a quick pass. If we use Lucas on that high ball screen we are giving the defense what they want because no one is going to throw the ball to Lucas if he’s not 3 feet from the basket.

The middle and quick passes are always the key in beating West Virginia’s press.

• Umm agree or disagree doesn’t matter to me really that’s what this site’s for right? - We all have opinions and it’s all good that’s why I like it - -got some really avid exp( as myself - -maybe good thing - maybe not ) but seems ALL are very knowledgeable fans, we just agree to did agree sometimes and that’s fine:

Now having said that, this is what I’m seeing and thinking AT THIS POINT. I see this team of ours losing 3 MAYBE EVEN losing one at Allen, I say this off the teams performance at lot of times to this point. # 1 our defense: our defense is umm not so good, STILL to many open drives to the rim - no protection, Landen can’t because of being afraid of foul trouble with no back up, our help defense is sad - -way to many open three’s by our opponent. # 2 Not being able to play a consistent - -NOT A GREAT GAME but just a consistent good game, last night perfect example, First half sucked, second half really good- - for the most part, it’s been this way all year. really good 10 minute stretch here, 5 minutes there, BUT not a full 40 minutes of consistency. # 3 NO Bench to speak of, you tell me, other then Frank who has been consistent? GOD forbid if Frank runs into foul trouble, then what? who can really take charge of the team? not only dealing with Frank BUT dam Bragg has got to get his act together, Lucas is steady now but if he is in foul trouble were screwed - -Lightfoot - -not ready Bragg is a no show Coleby – ummm NO

Right now watching the guys with what I’m seeing our defense, lack of bench, inconsistency I can see the following losses: – WV- - @ WV - - -Baylor @ Baylor - - & very possible WV @ Allen if we don’t get things notched up some - -ya I know you may not want to hear this, you may think I’m nuts, hey that’s fine again it’s all good, we all have our voice me? right now - -I just think WV is playing better overall ball agree or disagree it’s ok – just one persons opinion, again that’s why I like this site - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @JayHawkFanToo maybe, maybe not

• @BeddieKU23 nothing west virginia does is news to our veteran players. Its all about maintaining poise and composure, something that tech did well and baylor didnt. Have to be strong with the ball

• @BeddieKU23

I think Baylor this year is turning out to be just another typical Baylor team. Yes… they are good. Yes… they have some amazing talent.

Everyone mentions Drew being the weak link. This is true for several reasons, and the reason I put the highest is his inability to teach his players to deal with diverse situations. When things don’t go right for Baylor they have a hard time adjusting. They have a hard time making the necessary in-game tweaks to recover.

Drew’s thought process and strategy is just way too linear. To be a good game coach you have to think beyond a straight line. He doesn’t do that so Baylor always looks like an “up and down” team when in reality, they win big games when they are allowed to execute the linear game plan they work on all year to perfect, and when they lose they often lose big because they were taken out of their game plan and couldn’t recover.

But still… we can not look past Baylor. We have shown our own weaknesses. We have allowed most of our opponents to control the tempo of games (to their advantages).

That big run we had last night? That was a “tempo run.” We up’d the tempo and we scored 10 points in 90 seconds.

This Jayhawk team is all about tempo. Most every opponent we face realizes this and will want to control the tempo to take us out of our rhythm. It is really that simple.

This is a big part of me pushing for a demonstrative leader. Someone out there aware of things like tempo, and what we must do to play at a tempo that is right for us.

No other team in America can come close to beating us if we run OUR TEMPO. Period. No one.

• @HawkChamp

It will be interesting as only 4 out of our 7 man rotation has any real game experience against this press.

Bragg played 17 minutes in the 3 games last season combined

Vick is an easy target in this game unless he brings it.

Jackson I feel will do okay because he handles the ball well but he has to watch his fouls and drives to the hoops because West Virginia flops a lot and this is a team that could get under his skin easily.

• @drgnslayr we can’t look past anybody!

• Maybe our 5 guard lineup

• @nuleafjhawk

Right.

Way to put Scott into a fun perspective.

I look on him as, well, as the Kenneth Starr of basketball coaches.:bowtie: