A few random thoughts from UAB

• If you take away Birmingham from the name of the school, you’ve got a really good football team.

Easily our most enjoyable game of the year to watch. Small sample size but lots of oohs and aahs.

Yesterday, interestingly, my 2nd love Badgers also opened a game leading 17-1. And frittered it away just like the Jayhawks. The Badgers did it against Rick Barnes and the other UT, Rocky Top. Like the Jayhawks, the Badgers pulled it together and won by double digits and play Georgetown in Maui today who beat surely the best 2 loss team in America, Oregon. Brooks has been hurt contributing to their early malaise.

Josh Jackson. Got to the rim easily against the Blazers. I’m not nuanced enough in basketball to determine if UAB’s D was not up to the snuff we’d seen against Duke, Indy and Sienna, but I suspect not.

Routs sometimes mask problems and 9-19 FT’s is a problem.

How were we beating a team as bad looking as UAB 25-3 and let them get within 5 points?

Svi is our most improved slightly over Vick. Vick played poorly yesterday.

If we win the last game played in the Sprint Center this year we’ll be in the final four. For now, let’s just beat Georgia.

• I thought we played well for most of the game. The large lead we jumped out to was aided by their fumbling and bumbling around. Josh finally stayed out of foul trouble and was able to assert his presence for an entire game. The FT’s are concerning. Josh is the biggest contributor…he has been awful. Have to believe that he (and we) will improve.