The begining of the end

• Banned

I really thought Coach was pulling our chains playing a 4 and 1 style. Yet here I sit the day after KU has knocked off the mighty Duke Blue Devils tying to make sense of it. Somewhere in Chicago the Mayor is smiling ear to ear.

What does it mean? Is this the offensive of the year? Was there something in recruiting circles that demanded Coach to change this style of play? Or has Coach reached a point in his career that he feels the need to mix some things up? You’re guess is has good as mine.

Watching LL play last night started to bring back some memories when he so wasn’t, wasn’t, well wasn’t so good. I don’t know what say to, other than he looked terrible last night. For a senior playing his last season, he looked lost. Duke’s Bigs were just manhandling him. They were relentless with him. There for a few minutes I thought the great K had switched to muscle ball. LL couldn’t hold his spot, constantly being backed down in the paint. I’m not ready to throw in the towel on LL, as he does have a lot of coveted experience. Yet lets be honest as of right now LL is a dud.

I need to go back and watch the game again. Yet throw out the first 10 minutes of the game. It seemed to me when JJ was in there, KU had their way and even created double digit leads. When he was out, it was KU back to protecting the lead. Hence why the Refs fouled him out so quickly in the second half. Duke was scared and so where the refs. Whatever doubts you may have about this kid. Right them on a piece of paper and then bury them in the back yard, JJ is the real deal, and has only begun to scratch the surface of what he can do.

Can we change Udoka’s nickname from Doka to Bodacious? What to wussy of a name?

Bodacious

I think you can see where I’m coming from. Man is this kid strong. Know what is even crazier? He has to play another year before going pro. Are you kidding me. I see another diamond in the rough with this kid. As he learns to finish around the rim. This KU team only gets better. No more of the opposing team clearing out the paint and letting their big go one on one with LL. If they do Coach will just bring in the bull.

Man I got so much more to say. but I don’t want to over do it.

• @DoubleDD Naw, I think Self has to play more small ball this season simply cuz of the roster. Maybe other stuff too but mostly roster. Loaded back court. LL and Bookie and Bragg for our front court.

Heck, its not even the first time Coach has used small ball. Granted, he has to rely on it much more heavily this season but back in 08 one of my favorite rotations was Sherron, RussRob, Chalmers, Rush and Shady at the 5. I believe he called it is 5 man game. Those guys could pour in the points like mad!

• @DoubleDD Frank, Devonte, JJ and Svi around Udoka has so much potential and ability. IIRC, Duke won the 'ship in '15 using the 4-1 set.

You are right about Josh - I love the passion he and Udoka play with. Yes, JJ needs to stay under control, but you can’t question his competitiveness and hunger to win. I am excited to see the improvements this team will make before March - need to clean up the sloppy play and start making some threes. I saw a tweet from John Gasaway about how poorly KU has shot the ball and compared that to what our opponents shot - he said we are pretty good. Devonte, Frank, Svi and Lagerald are all good shooters, so it is just a matter of time before they start dropping.

• The best part is, we only have to wait two more days for gameday! Man, I love college basketball season!!

• Banned

@HawkChamp

Yep I’m feeling it too.

• I was once guilty myself of saying Self was too rigid. Ha. That said I do think this is out of necessity. Given the choice and the roster, Self still would prefer his way.