Calipari

• Hmmmm, just read, could turn out very interesting down the road, not to distant future. Being reported that Calipari is going to be very seriously linked to the Brooklyn Nets coaching Vacancy as they fired their Coach, said could be serious because Calipari and Nets CEO Brett Yormark are close friends, and being rumored that Yomark is talking about a lucrative duel offer of President & Coach of the Nets, that the Owner a Russian Billionaire would have no problem making such an offer. Their asst coach Brown would coach remainder of season. The interesting part would be IF Calipari did indeed accept such an offer, then I believe there is a rule from the NCAA that a athlete can be released from commitment and look for a new school it they want, could become very interesting if this turns out, which could be very likely. we shall see. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Heard unlv coach resigned, not fired.

• Drake Causes Kentucky Wildcats An NCAA Violation

Kentucky Reports 2nd NCAA Rules Violation Involving Rapper Drake

I wonder how much of this stuff goes unreported? The only reason they self-reported was because Ulis posted the photo so they would get caught.

This is the second time they have been in trouble with Drake.

• @drgnslayr still gives them attention!

• @drgnslayr Well any ban of the NCAA’s for Kentucky THIS season would be superfluous really, because they’ll be lucky to make the NIT!!! LMAO!

• @jayballer54 If a player has signed an LOI (all of their commits have), the school has to release the player from the LOI for them to go elsewhere. If they want out and UK won’t let them out, they could go to prep school for another year. This is how KU ended up with Graham, he committed to App St., they changed coaches and didn’t release Graham so he went to prep school to get out of his App St. commitment.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 didn’t he still have a hard time getting released?

• @Crimsonorblue22 App St. didn’t release Graham, that’s why he reclassified and went to prep school for an extra year.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I know, but I wasn’t talking about UNLV, I was talking about Brooklyn Nets if you were referring to me. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Texas-Hawk-10 YA, I was thinking there was something like that. I would imagine they maybe a couple would ask for release ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Sound really dirty from App St. That should hurt their recruiting. University first, recruit second.

• I know they wouldn’t give us the trophy, but I’m still hoping the Sun times report nails Kentucky and their 2012 title is taken away, and I know it will never happen, but, wouldn’t it just be great if it did!

• @jayballer54

Cal is sideways IMHO.

No more long stacks means no more Final Fours or titles.

And the hammer on Larry has to make Cal hear footsteps.

But the show is a draft game plus free agents.

Wes and CAA could help with free agents, and they could round up the UK guys, but…

The show is tough to corner.

And without a corner, cal iseems a .600-.700 coach.

• @Crimsonorblue22

A resignation at UNLV sounds like a motion play to avoid penalties.

Hard to believe that guy squandered what Kruger built there that fast.

• @wissoxfan83

Yes

• @jaybate-1.0 don’t think so, maybe.

• @drgnslayr Kentucky’s shenanigans take a rap from Drake (a lowly MVC team).

• @jaybate-1.0 : You realize, that by early 80’s timeline, at one point Larry Brown, John Calipari, and Bill Self were closely linked, with the common thread being KU/Lawrence, KS.

It begs the question: How closely linked are they NOW? (behind the scenes)…why did we ‘get’ Nic Moore from SMU for the WUG? Why did Memphis de-commits Morris Twins end up at KU? How exactly did Xa-Vee-Yay Henry end up at KU? How did Jankovich end up as Brown’s heir-apparent at SMU? (that’s a fast-track elevator on the Self/Brown coaching tree if I ever saw one…)

• I do wonder at times: Should we (ku people) be sniping at Calipari, at all? I don’t know if he has ever said anything derogatory about KU or Self, ever, and nor has Self ever said any such thing about him.

• @ralster The Kentucky/Calipari envy/whining by KU fans is a bit embarrassing, IMO.

That said, I’ll laugh harder than anyone if the Squid ends up leaving his usual damage at UK before it’s all said and done.

• lmao, I’m so glad you didn’t mention MY name as far as Calipari ENVY/WHINING cause if that would of been the case, then I would of had to in return tell you, you better back the hell off me, you got me messed up for somebody else roflmao because I sure in the hell am not envious - - -I brought up this article more then anything for the reason of IF he indeed does leave for the Nets, and players get released, I know there is a couple that it was a fight between KU- -UK so maybe they re-open and KU may have a shot at those players. That was the thing I was bringing out, but as far as Calipari himself - - - -hell there is NO ENVY on my part, why would I be envious of him? he has done nothing to me to be envious of personally. Oh but now for a minute kind of on the same line about possible players being granted letters of release- - - for a minute, saw another article maybe someone could help with or knows about. I read and the question was brought up and that is. Terrrance Fergurson never did sign a letter of intent as of yet- - -the question is WHY? he possibly having 2nd thoughts? let me know. and as always ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Just read another article this morning, says of course Calipari took to twitter and denied any interest, and Kentucky says they don’t comment about other jobs, but sources behind the scene say that Calipari is seeking a 10 yr 120 millon deal according to Yahoo Adrian, Wojnarowski. Says with the owner would have no problem offering him that kind of money, and that Calipari’s friend is trying to get the owner to take advantage of the New Jersey roots, and how it would be a bonus to have Calipari because of luring free Agents John Wall, and another former player that played with Calipari that is a free agent to sign with New Jersey. I nteresting. ROCK CHAlk all day long baby

• A couple of comments. If I understood correctly the UNLV coach was forced out by the big money contributors that will probably be paying his buyout.

Also, in early (4:00AM) sports radio talk, there was discussion on Calipari and he apparently indicated that there were two teams he would be interested, New Jersey and Sacramento and the non-negotiable cost is $120 million for 10 years.

Why would any NBA team hire him? He coached in the NBA before and he was big flop. His record is 72 wins and 112 losses in 3 years as HC of the Nets; he was also an assistant Coach to Larry Brown in Philadelphia, The main advantage he has in college and the source of his success is that he can, allegedly of course, “buy” players…but then, all coaches can do this in the League, so again, why would you hire Calipari? Maybe because he has shown he is capable of managing a bunch of big egos and prima donas?

• @ralster I’ve posted that before too, and you can add Greg Popovich to that same list as he spent a season in Lawrence as a grad assistant or something like that. The greatest collection of coaching talent ever in one place!

• @ralster

TIMELINE

UNC

(Nike—>Nike AirJordan)

Dean, Larry, Roy (Sonny? WWW?)

Dean, Roy (Sonny? WWW?))

Dean, Roy, Michael, Sonny (WWW?)

KU

(Nike—>Nike Air Jordan?)

Larry, Calipari, (WWW?)

Larry, Selfo, (WWW?)

Roy, Sonny/George

UMASS, MEMPHIS, UK (Nike)

Caliper, WWW, (CAA?)(George?)

KU

(Nike—>adidas)

Self, Nike

Self, adidas

It appears there was some kind of schism after Danny between Dean and Larry that may have effected Big Shoe Relations. Larry may have lost his inner circle status, if such an inner circle existed. Did Larry and WWW hook up?

Cal preceded Bill on LB’s staff without overlap, or was it vice versa?

Cal seems to have stayed with the WWW Nike (CAA?) program through the changes from Sonny to George.

Bill seems to have left the WWW Nike (CAA?) program.

Larry left the college game for a long time, but came back under Bill’s sponsorship with Nike SMU.

Calipari’s reputed relationship with WWW and WWW’s REPUTED one with CAA seem crucial…

Do any of the other coaches have a similar reputed relationship with WWW and CAA, or with another Big Shoe-Agency complex?

• @JayHawkFanToo

Hypothesis: WWW, CAA, and Cal can concentrate UK free agents and others to an NBA FRANCHISE, especially with deep Ruskie pockets? Cal can hire some NBA ASSISTANT for nuts and bolts.

Slogan: pro basketball is fun again

• @jaybate-1.0

Mikhail Prokhorov, owner of the Nets has spent a shitload of money and he has not gotten much in return. I understand that the unlimited spending era is over for the Nets as Prokhorov has realized that throwing money after bad money is not the best way to build a franchise.

The NBA has a draft and you cannot really establish a pipeline from one school to a team and more importantly, why would he do that? He no longer would have a relationship with UK whose fans probably will hate him after the sanctions finally caught up with UK and Cal, as usual, will stay one step ahead of the law and will likely have plausible deniability…why change something that has worked so well for him in the past?

• @JayHawkFanToo

Maybe. But…

If you give me WWW, CAA, Cal and Ruskie money, even I could have the dump trucks backing up to an NBA franchise nearly eliminating the distributive effects of the draft…

If you think about it, the draft shapes a very teeny portion of a high end player’s career. Its the second and third contracts and the moves to the correct media markets and the pairing with the correct coach and complementary players that matter.

You don’t want Lebron and Andrew on the first contract. Get them on the second; that’s where the real money is to be made in franchise valuation increase that off sets the salary cost.

The NBA is ripe for this. The Ruskie’s mistake was he did not make full use of the legacy agent-shoe complex. He is apparently smart and persistent, as are most men of great wealth that did not inherit it. He is wisely taking the next logical step. WWW and Cal should be looking for the next kill. The only thing they have to be worried about is how dangerous the Ruskie is. WW W and Cal already appear to have FU money in a big way and jumping in a potential slaughter house with the Ruskie may not make the big potential take worth the down side risk.

Oh, but if you offer the big bones, through the right channels, Ray, the players most definitely will come. 🙂

• @jaybate-1.0

…except the Ruskie has gotten smarter and he is no longer giving away money…

• @JayHawkFanToo

Not until he gets the right channel for giving it away–the channel that actually gets him what he needs.

If I understand the origins of the Ruskie’s money correctly, he could spend $2 Billion per year on that franchise for the next century and not sweat it. 🙂

• @jaybate-1.0

That might have been true a few years ago but the money is drying up everywhere…and Russian billionaires are being more careful with their billions since Putin can take them away at any time…

• @JayHawkFanToo

Billionaires never run out of money.

Ever.

Or they weren’t billionaires.

The more conflicted and trying the times, the farther their money goes; this is the beauty of real wealth and one of the major drivers for frequent economic contractions and structural poverty. There is always as much, if not more money to be made, by contraction than expansion. Just ask Joseph Kennedy, one of the small timers that figured the game out, once upon a time.

More. Money. In. Depression. Than. In. Good. Times.

Expansion is for suckers. Contraction is for harvesting the wealth of suckers.

Maybe he was a poser?

• @jaybate-1.0

It happens more often than you think…

• @jayballer54 Eff Calipari. That is all.

• If Calipari to the Nets is heating up then it could be the dogs have picked up the scent of squid. Most likely, though, it could be a bargaining chip situation, much like Coach Consonants did years ago pretending to court the Lakers to get the university to ante up for his services.

• @jaybate-1.0 said:

Billionaires never run out of money.

I’ll let you know after Wednesday night’s drawing. 😃

• @tis4tim sharing right?

• @Crimsonorblue22

Tell you what: if I win a billion dollars Wednesday, I’ll fly all of you first-class to this year’s Final Four, put you all up at the finest hotel and splurge for courtside seats. And if that’s not enough, then cotton candy and a giant foam finger for everyone!

• @tis4tim Sounds great but I don’t think you have to give us all “The Finger”!

• I’m in, finger or not!!

• Banned

@Texas-Hawk-10 ey I’m not sure about that? Most schools want the new recruits to meat the knew coach. Yet they can demand they honor their commitment. Yet most schools give kids the option to deflect if they want. Yet I’m pretty sure there is nothing that says they have to.

• @DoubleDD So you’re saying Graham didn’t go to a prep school to get out of his App St. commitment because they wouldn’t release him from his LOI after a coaching change?

I’ve never said a school has to release a kid from an LOI because there is no rule saying that schools have to so. It is however a common practice that if a school changes coaches and a kid asks for his release from an LOI, that the school grants it and it typically reflects poorly on the school when they don’t do so.

In Graham’s case, he had already signed his LOI to App St., App St. has a coaching change and Graham starts getting better offers than App St. and asked for his release and App St. denied his request. Not every player has this option because not every player can reclassify down a year which is what Graham did and signed with KU the following year.

If Cal leaves UK, it’s not going to be a surprise to see them lose at least one recruit and it would be in UK’s best interest from a PR perspective (which UK is all about) to grant the release of that kid.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 even after Dg went to prep school they still wouldn’t let him out until a new coach let him out. I googled it. Check it out

• @JayHawkFanToo

“Why would any NBA team hire him? He coached in the NBA before and he was big flop. His record is 72 wins and 112 losses in 3 years as HC of the Nets;”

Precisely.

Calipari has recruiting going for him at Kentucky. That advantage completely evaporates for him in the NBA. Picking up the right players tends to be more of an upper management situation over just the desires of a coach. Cal can’t pull a fast recruiting pitch on NBA players to sway them over. He has to deal with agents and salary caps. It is big business, not used car salesmanship (D1) dealing with kids with no experience in anything in life except dribbling a basketball.

Calipari uses NBA chatter to up his return at Kentucky. He has several areas where he negotiates his net take home, far more than just his coaching pay. He is as easy to read as a children’s book. When he talks it up on how the NBA wants him (yada, yada, yada) then you know he is preparing to enter negotiations over something impacting his personal income from Kentucky. Ha… they deserve what they get!

• @drgnslayr come on! Not even drake?😉

• @JayHawkFanToo

No, it only appears to.