KU bb

• @Crimsonorblue22

“The question is whether or not it’s sustainable…”

• @drgnslayr renewable? As in KU doesn’t rebuild it reloads.

Hopefully it’s both renewable and substainable.

For many many years.

• @JRyman

To be honest… what excited me about Maui was not our fast-moving offense. Or even Cheick getting the nod to play.

What got me excited was seeing Aaron Miles on the bench. I have a feeling he is going to become our “Danny Manning of the guards.” If we can hold onto him… and work him into an assistant coaching job we have yet another monstrous asset for our future!

Successful people surround themselves with successful people. I feel comfortable in stating how valuable Aaron will become.

• @drgnslayr He will be invaluable for our guards, hopefully similar to how Danny was.

• @Crimsonorblue22

Dauster seems smarter after we discipline him with winning! 😄

• @drgnslayr yes and is overseas playing will not only help with recruiting but gives him morenimsight on the game and how it’s played and coached.

I’m surprised big Wayne hasn’t been put in this role? Maybe he has been asked and turned it down to stay his course, but his coaching bugs would be a great asset as well.

• @JRyman

I’m already thinking that if Wayne has his break-out year this year a big part of the credit also belongs to Aaron… helping him control his drives. Historically, Wayne has had issues with his handles. In the past, he was getting too anxious on his drives, and he wouldn’t dribble under control. Lots of charges and losing the ball off the dribble.

He still has a ways to go on his dribbling, but he seems to be making better decisions on when to drive, and also maintaining more poise in doing so.

Wayne always looks like a guy that is one tweak away from figuring out how to totally exploit D1 defenses. He may have found his tweak!

• @drgnslayr I agree about Selden too. His dribbling looks better as does Greenes.

My mention about big Wayne was for Simien. I guess I should have differentiated. Lol. Sorry about that confusion. I think Simien would be a great help for our bigs.

• @Crimsonorblue22 Thanks for the link-haven’t had time to read much lately.

• @drgnslayr

…so…we will go from being Big Man U to Small Man U? Somehow, this sound wrong, very wrong… 😃

• @JayHawkFanToo

I would love to be “Small Man U.”

The game is moving to the 3-pt line. Back to the basket scoring will almost vanish in coming years. Look now at big men coming up through HS. How many of these players have any back to the basket skills? But yet… most are improving their perimeter shot.

Having a guard with the skills Aaron has can also improve the skill set of our bigs. Looking forward to the NBA, no NBA team wants to sign players with bad handles.

• @JRyman

Not sure Simien wants to expand his role with Kansas basketball beyond being a spiritual leader. His desire is largely to be a spiritual mentor for young people.

• @drgnslayr There aren’t any big men in the NBA that don’t have an outside game under the age of 35.

Duncan is the last back to basket true scorer.

Dwight Howard should be able to post anyone up. He used to but after a few back injuries he’d rather try and take his man off the dribble or getting a screen.

Bosh is afraid of the paint and likes to stand out beyond the arc. I think Curry has more points in the paint this year than Bosh.

So the more kids at younger ages see big men shooting 3s the more they think they can do it too.

If I was the parent of a big man I would teach him every post move from Russell and Chaberlain to David Robinson and Shaq with some Dream and Mchale mixed in. He would dominate the game because he would be alone in what he could do.

• @DinarHawk said:

@drgnslayr He will be invaluable for our guards, hopefully similar to how Danny was.

except its Danny Manning who is a known commodity vs Aaron miles who outside of KU, is pretty much unknown. Don’t get me wrong- i think Aaron will help, but comparing him to Danny is a mistake. He’s not going to be able to do for our guards what Danny did for our bigs.

• @JRyman With a few exceptions those who start or play meaningful minutes at the 5 do not have an outside game. In a post a couple of days ago I listed those who shot more than 0.3 three point shots per game. For the most part your typical 5 shoots less that 0,1 3 pointers per game. The best known 5s in the league are Andre Jordan, Dwight Howard, and Andre Drummond. Howard leads this group with a lifetype average or 0.06. Andre Drummond is currently the hottest 5 averaging 18.1 points and 17.2 rebounds per game. He has not attempted a 3 pointer yet this season.

Although 3 point shots attempts are not necessarily the best gauge of an outside game, I find it hard to believe that someone who shoots less than 0.1 3 point attempts per game has much of an outside game.

• @sfbahawk I guess you could say the 3 point shot is out of most of their range, but more and more 5’s are leaving the paint and settling on shooting outside.

I consider rim to 5feet to be an inside game. 5-10 still inside but bouncing outside. 10-15 mid range and 15 and beyond as out side or deep game.

Everyone can view it as they want I guess. Working with a few bigs this past summer we forced them to be on the block and lonely to move outside of that 7 foot range from the rim when setting picks or inbounds plays or when we needed a clear out. They wanted to shoot outside of that 15 foot mark, but didn’t have the skill set to do so. That was their home work though, shoot shoot shoot, keep shooting, it’s the only way it gets better.

I know a lot of guys who don’t like playing on the block due to the physicality of it and they don’t want to be sore for three days or until the next game just to go right back at it. Therefore they tend to float towards that mid to outside range.

A lot of kids growing up in the States, learn either the inside or outside game depending on their height by the time they are in the 6th grade. You must remember Anthony Davis was a low ranked jump shooter his junior year, but grew a ton his senior year and his ability to dribble really has helped his game. In a lot of European youth leagues, everyone learns to play all 5 spots. Just look at how Dirk has done, he can dribble, shoot, and back a guy down on the block and score. His size causes mismatches, but his skills are what propels him.

• @elpoyo

“He’s not going to be able to do for our guards what Danny did for our bigs.”

I’m curious… but why wouldn’t you think he could be that much help for our guards?

• @elpoyo What does name recognition have to do with the ability to teach the game?

• @elpoyo

The best coaches were average players at best and this is why they became coaches. Miles has enough pro experience to know what is out there and his lack of play time time in the NBA does not mean he cannot be a great teacher.

• If NBA experience is required to be a great coach, we are screwed! Let’s see… Self has ZERO NBA experience!

• @drgnslayr said:

If NBA experience is required to be a great coach, we are screwed! Let’s see… Self has ZERO NBA experience!

Exactly!

Roy Williams had zero NBA experience.

Coach K never played in the NBA, neither did Dean Smith.

I’m sure I can go on and on…Seems like the criteria to being a good coach is having exceptional understanding of the game and teaching ability.

Somewhat unrelated to this, but as someone once mentioned, Michael Jordan would have a really hard time coaching because he won’t be able to relate to or teach 99.9% of the players because they just can’t do the things that came natural to him.

• The ability to teach is almost wholly unrelated to skill or knowledge in a content area. That is why the college dropout rate is so huge. You have a lot of professors who know their subject inside and out but have no clue how to engage and inspire others. Teaching is it’s own skill. The old saying “those who can’t do, teach,” is not entirely false, however many who do, can’t teach. I can get kids to learn calculus and physics by simply asking the right questions and letting them figure out better than some professors who prepare highly specific and detailed lectures.