Hunger Strike to get Missouri President fired

• @Crimsonorblue22 Simple. Pull their scholarships and give them to guys that want to play.

• @approxinfinity

We are so fortunate not to have to be associated with MU in any way any more.

Except perhaps for the recent posts favoring ideograms that spell crystal meth in the Missourah Dialect of Chinese. 😄

• @brooksmd

So are you arguing that these “student athletes” cannot protest the treatment that they and their fellow students receive on campus without threat of retaliation by the administration? Interesting premise.

• image.jpeg

This short has become so wrong on so many levels now at Mizzery U

• CBS just posted that the President of slave state U resigned this morning.

• @justanotherfan They can protest all they want, but they signed their names to contracts to play football. People in every day life face the same thing. Suppose you went to your boss and said I refuse to work until you put pink napkins in the cafeteria? Or the guy a couple of years ago who yelled at and berated a window clerk at a fast food place. Once the video of the idiot hit Youtube his company fired him. Or the idiot who not long ago applied for and was hired by another fast food place, commented on Facebook or Twitter about hate having to work there and was fired when he/she/it showed up to work. Actions have consequences. In Misseries case, these guys are getting a big benefit to play football. Protest all you want, but don’t want to play, fine go play elsewhere.

• @brooksmd said:

@justanotherfan They can protest all they want, but they signed their names to contracts to play football. People in every day life face the same thing. Suppose you went to your boss and said I refuse to work until you put pink napkins in the cafeteria? Or the guy a couple of years ago who yelled at and berated a window clerk at a fast food place. Once the video of the idiot hit Youtube his company fired him. Or the idiot who not long ago applied for and was hired by another fast food place, commented on Facebook or Twitter about hate having to work there and was fired when he/she/it showed up to work. Actions have consequences. In Misseries case, these guys are getting a big benefit to play football. Protest all you want, but don’t want to play, fine go play elsewhere.

@brooksmd … Well shitterie.you salty old dog… You gotta be kiddin me? Pink napkins ??? That reminds me of the time Al Bundy went ALL the waaaaaay off when Peg remodeled his Ferguson while he was outta town for a few days… IN PINK !!! Al was DA MAN & that’s when & where he drew the friggin line… 💞 💖 👬 💕 💖 💥 ✨ :facepunch:pink ferguson.pnghttp://www.bing.com/images/search?q=al+bundy+pink+ferguson&id=DC2EC826B20717CAAD54389D5AD70B9F0557BDB1&FORM=IQFRBA Pink Fergie.jpg

• @brooksmd “The Mizzou campus has been rocked by a series of racial events that many have accused school leadership of allowing to go unexplained, under-investigated or both. In September, the student body president, Payton Head, who is black, was harassed near the campus and repeatedly called a “nigger.” Eleven other students, members of the school’s Legion of Black Collegians, were also called the slur by a white student, while campus security that witnessed the incident reportedly did nothing. In October, a swastika painted in human feces was found on a dorm wall.”

Are you comparing all this to pink napkins? You’re saying, if they can’t handle racism, they shouldn’t have gone to Missouri.

• @brooksmd I have never understood and continue to be perplexed by “love it or leave it” arguments. You’re saying if you don’t like a situation you should never try to change it? Like all those people joining the Tea Party protests should just shut up and go home or get the hell out of the country? If you don’t support gay marriage, too bad, American has spoken. Move to Uganda? Even in the private sector, I saw a woman on twitter who was getting balled out by complete strangers because she had the audacity to voice the opinion that maybe “slutty” Halloween outfits aren’t appropriate for 4 year olds and Wal-Mart shouldn’t be carrying them. There were people actually arguing that she should “let the market decide” as though an individual telling a company what they will or will not support with their dollars is somehow not a part of market economics!

As far as I’m concerned, it’s a two-way street. Nobody has to employ you if they don’t want to, and nobody has to be employed by someone who doesn’t meet their needs. If you can agitate enough to get pink napkins and your employer values you enough that they’re willing to acquiesce to that demand, more power to you. If you go to war with your boss over something trivial and you’re fired, that’s on you as well. But wanting change and vocalizing that to power is hardly any kind of crime. After all, if it wasn’t for a bunch of guys in triangle hats and wigs making demands and protesting for change, we’d all be subjects of Queen Elizabeth still. I’m sure you wouldn’t go back in time and tell George Washington to take a hike, would you?

• @approxinfinity I think it worked though, just saw on ESPN that the Mizzou prez is leaving.

• I find it interesting that while protesting against the use fo the “N” word, they were probably listening to rap music on their iPods/cell phones and the “N” word being repeated time and time and time again…this are the lyrics to rap song by JZ, a pretty main stream rapper and the lyrics are pretty typical… you can draw your own conclusions.

Apparently posting hateful massages, some racist, on the statue of Thoma Jefferson is not the same thing…

All racism is bad and contrarily to what there Reverend Jackson says. minorities can be racists as well.

• @JayHawkFanToo Of course minorities can be racist. Frequently they are most virulently so against other minorities.

Although I would prefer not to hear the “N” word in rap lyrics, the context makes the difference in communication. If a friend or teammate greets you with “how are you doing you old bastard” you are most likely not going to go to battle with them. That is not the case if when walking down the street some stranger says to you “you old bastard”.

• @wrwlumpy What should the campus police have done when they witnessed the N word being used? I’m not arguing that they should use it, but what should have been done?

@JayHawkFanToo I hear the word all day long at work, constantly reminding my students that I’d get fired if I used it.

• @sfbahawk great example! That’s how @brooksmd and @globaljaybird talk to each other!

• @brooksmd People do face the same thing. We say all the time that maybe athletes should use their forum for something besides just being famous, to actually use that place to make the world a little bit better. Would the MU president have resigned today if there was just a hunger strike? No. But once the football team got involved, they were an agent of change, and they did so without doing anything crazy, violent or unreasonable. They just said that if MU was going to act in a certain way, they would not represent that university on the football field.

Let’s put this into context. If I heard my boss using a racial slur against another group, I would seriously have to consider the company I worked for. I mean this honestly. When it comes to racial slurs, I don’t have a lot of patience for people that use them to demean other groups and I would not want to work for a company that allows its superiors to do that. If I had a boss doing that, I would report them to HR immediately, regardless of what group was demeaned.

Nobody gives a hoot about pink napkins, but the football players aren’t saying they won’t play over napkins, or uniform colors, or anything else, and to make such a comparison ignores the facts here. People on MU’s campus are being disrespected and demeaned. That is unacceptable. The university president was ignoring this. He is no longer university president.

I hope the conversation doesn’t end here because the fact remains that 1) people on the MU campus are using racial slurs and 2) there continues to be an undercurrent of hate and intolerance in this country.

@JayHawkFanToo I don’t think the comparison fits here. As @sfbahawk said, context matters. You can say something with an air of respect or with intent to demean. To argue that all uses are the same ignores the issue. Again, context matters.

Take the word “boy” for instance. That word is, in and of itself, not disrespectful. However, it can be used in a disrespectful way. My grandfather (RIP) grew up in the south and, even as a grown man was often called “boy”, even by people younger than him as a way to put him down as an African American man. Does that mean that nobody should ever use the word “boy”? Of course not. Context matters. And we all understand that the context of the word “boy”, when used in certain instances is not being used to address a male child, but rather to disrespect a minority male. To argue that “he just said ‘boy’” ignores the context, the history and the common sense.

Here we have the same issue. Arguing that the N word is used in rap lyrics, so its not a big deal is ignoring context, history and common sense. We all know the difference in context. The history of the use of that word against blacks in this country is well documented. Given that, common sense suggests that it is in fact different in the two scenarios, and there is no comparison.

• @justanotherfan “Would the MU president have resigned today if there was just a hunger strike? No. But once the football team got involved, they were an agent of change, and they did so without doing anything crazy violent or unreasonable. They just said that if MU was going to act in a certain way, they would not represent that university on the football field.”

Yeah & hopefully the pres & chancellor both resigned for the right reasons & not because the actions of the misery football team would smack em square in the wallet & cost them a quick million had the BYU game been forfeited. Makes one rather curious about their severance packages ??

• @globaljaybird I’m sure they’re laughing all the way to their lawyers office.

• @sfbahawk @justanotherfan

I am sorry but the use of that word is offensive whether on lyrics or as a pejorative term. Many prominent African American have spoken against the use of the word in rap music (along with other offensive terms) as it helps trivialize it; even “cool” people such as Jason Withlock have written and condemned the use of the word. It seems to me a double standard that has been tolerated because of political correctness.

Rap music is popular with young people of all races but apparently only black people (oops, am I allowed to say black anymore?) can say the words and not people of others races? That is BS. This would be the equivalents of saying only Hispanic people can call each other one of the many disparaging terms such as wetback, but people of other races could not? I don’t think so. If African Americans want to stop the use of the “N” word, they should start by doing it themselves…“do as I say and not as I do” has never been and never will be a good way to set an example.

• For what it’s worth when I went to KU it was well known that Columbia, and the culture surrounding Mizzou, was pretty ugly and dangerous regarding racial issues. I heard several stories about stuff like has been reported happening at Mizzou quite frequently. I am of course biased, but my disdain for Mizzou goes beyond sports. I think that school and the culture surrounding that school is embarrassing. This is a fanbase that calls the Lawrence Massacre Mizzou’s “greatest road win,” essentially making light of the murder of 170 women and children. Go to a Chiefs or a Royals game wearing a KU shirt and see how you’re treated. It’s a small sample size of the mob and bigoted mentality pervasive throughout that fanbase.

This culture is not something unique just to sports. I’ve always wondered how Mizzou recruits black players with everything that fanbase and school stands for. Anybody ever googled the Antlers’ notorious phone calls to KU players the night before games? Repeatedly calling our players the N word? The whole “No-Mom Tom” thing? Ya, that’s representative of the trash culture surrounding that fan base and that school. Because that kind of behavior is encouraged and never corrected at Mizzou. I could never understand how Kim English could take so much pride in Mizzou fans when the black men on the KU squad were openly exposed to racial slurs from the Mizzou fanbase. It’s pathetic, and even though it took a Mizery team over 100 years to finally do something and speak out, I’m glad they did.

And I’m sorry, but I think the argument that because these kids (black and white, FYI) listen to rap music that uses the word “nigga” somehow means they should be fine with the culture surrounding Mizzou is absolutely missing the point. Because this is something that’s not too far from home. It was only a few years ago that we were dealing with this. Does everybody forget how ugly the culture surrounding that school really is? This is an ugly situation, and trying to reduce this issue to music is to miss the point entirely.

• @JayHawkFanToo said:

I am sorry but the use of that word is offensive whether on lyrics or as a pejorative term. Many prominent African American have spoken against the use of the word in rap music (along with other offensive terms) as it helps trivialize it; even “cool” people such as Jason Withlock have written and condemned the use of the word. It seems to me a double standard that has been tolerated because of political correctness.

For starters, aren’t you the one making the argument for political correctness? You’re saying, ‘I find a word offensive, therefore so must everyone else, and they should modify their behavior to comport to my sensibilities!’ That right there is the Webster’s definition of PC policing. Not every black person has to agree to the terms of its usage in order for it to be okay that a lot of them do. And for those that choose to, I think they’d argue to you that the whole point is to trivialize the word and rob it of it’s power.

Rap music is popular with young people of all races but apparently only black people (oops, am I allowed to say black anymore?) can say the words and not people of others races? That is BS. This would be the equivalents of saying only Hispanic people can call each other one of the many disparaging terms such as wetback, but people of other races could not? I don’t think so. If African Americans want to stop the use of the “N” word, they should start by doing it themselves…“do as I say and not as I do” has never been and never will be a good way to set an example.

Secondly, why do you care about the double standard? Do you want to be able to say the N word? What is it that you think is lost or gained by one group having exclusive rights to a word that is about them? You might as well be complaining that you can’t hit a woman. I mean sure, it’s a double standard, but there’s nothing desirable about regaining the right, and there’s little to fear from being struck yourself (Ronda Rousey not withstanding). Besides, that double standard isn’t unique to blacks nor Hispanics, for that matter.

There has been a long standing social convention that members of a group, especially a group considered a minority, are allowed to use certain words and phrases or express ideas or tell jokes about the group that might be considered derogatory when uttered by outsiders. This extends to white people as well, or at least it used to when whites weren’t considered homogeneous. My father is full-blooded Sicilian (as is pretty much his entire family), and his complexion is white as can be. Still, when he was a young man there were towns, neighborhoods, and institutions where he was either not welcomed or might encounter open hostility because he wasn’t the right kind of white. The Irish, Polish, Slavs, Germans, Jews, and Catholics have all faced that kind of discrimination in this country’s history, even those white as snowflakes. Each of those groups also developed their own jokes and language based on reclaiming elements from that derision in order to render them harmless. I’m sure everyone here has heard an ethnic joke regarding at least one of those groups at sometime in their lives. And as each of those groups became more a part of the mainstream, that element of the culture began to fade because it wasn’t needed any longer.

Finally, it’s not as if black people are okay with other black people using the N word in all contexts either. The first time I visited Las Vegas, I was waiting for a bus, having finished breakfast, when a homeless black man went up to another black man, who was waiting to go home from his night shift (I would guess this guy was a cook or some kind of custodian because his uniform was dirty), and started asking him for money. The homeless man kept talking about how they were N words (with an a) and how N words stick together and this and that, but the guy didn’t want to give him any money. The homeless man started getting belligerent, and finally started saying that the man wasn’t an N word with an a, but an N word with an er because he wouldn’t stick up for him. The guy then became enraged and started shouting at the homeless man for being a shiftless N word (again with an er) and for being the reason the word existed in the first place. At this, the homeless man slunk away the bus stop and went down the next couple blocks to beg from the people at that stop, having been thoroughly humiliated in front of the rest of us, none of whom were black ourselves.

Anyway, I’m not trying to single you out here or silence. But I genuinely don’t understand your perspective on the matter. Again, you seem to want to rail against being PC, but what you’re demanding is political correctness. There’s no two ways about that. I’m guessing it has something to do with the fact that the term racist itself has become something akin to the N word to us. I mean, I bet you most white people wouldn’t even blink at being called a cracker, and most kids (white or black) have probably never even heard the word honky before, but call a white person racist and that’s about the worst thing you can say about them.

The thing about it is, it’s true to some extent. That isn’t to single out whites. I think everyone has racial prejudices. It’s kind of impossible not to. Nobody gets to spend time with people from every part of the world and learn about their culture and values, so we invariably retain some short hand or misconceptions based on our limited experiences. I think the combination of the inability to recognize that fact and get over being criticized about it is a big part of why race relations haven’t really improved in this country for the past 30 years. Minorities want to talk about racial issues and their experiences vis a vis race with white people, but white people are so concerned with that extremely toxic label that, even knowing in their hearts that they harbor no hate for others, they don’t want to engage and chance that word sticking. If we’re ever going to get past it, I think it’s incumbent on both sides to change their behavior. Whites need to stop either putting their heads in the sand or blaming minorities that racial problems exist, and minorities need to stop wielding the R word like a sledgehammer to silence those with differing viewpoints and be willing to engage whites on their own terms if they really want dialogue.

This turned into way more of a rant than I intended it to, but I really do want to hear what you have to say, so please consider this a hand extended in camaraderie and not an open palm meant to chide.

• @konkeyDong

You really missed my point by a country mile…

For starters, aren’t you the one making the argument for political correctness? You’re saying, ‘I find a word offensive, therefore so must everyone else, and they should modify their behavior to comport to my sensibilities!’ That right there is the Webster’s definition of PC policing. Not every black person has to agree to the terms of its usage in order for it to be okay that a lot of them do. And for those that choose to, I think they’d argue to you that the whole point is to trivialize the word and rob it of it’s power.

My point was that it is “politically incorrect” to criticize any one that is black lest you be labeled racist… Whether I find the word offensive or not is not the point, we keep getting hammered with the message that using the "N: word is a serious offense yet the same people that tell us that keep using the word with the caveat that… it is OK if we call ourselves that but don’t you dare call us that name and if you do we will call you racist…that is the political correctness I was referring to,

Secondly, why do you care about the double standard? Do you want to be able to say the N word? What is it that you think is lost or gained by one group having exclusive rights to a word that is about them? You might as well be complaining that you can’t hit a woman.

Really, that is the comparison you make? I have no desire to call anyone of any race a derogatory term since it goes against my own moral principles in the same way that hitting a woman does. My point is that you cannot “demand” respect from others when you don’t respect yourself. A better comparison would be a woman saying…you cannot hit me because I am a woman but I am free to hit any woman I want. Both arguments are nonsensical, wouldn’t you agree?

There has been a long standing social convention that members of a group, especially a group considered a minority, are allowed to use certain words and phrases or express ideas or tell jokes about the group that might be considered derogatory when uttered by outsiders. This extends to white people as well, or at least it used to when whites weren’t considered homogeneous.

…and that makes it right? Minorities have fought for a long time to overcome the prejudice and stereotypes and I don’t know or any other minority where certain members thrive by demeaning their own race, and by the way, treat women of their own race even worse…and yet they are considered stars and idolized.

Anyway, I’m not trying to single you out here or silence. But I genuinely don’t understand your perspective on the matter. Again, you seem to want to rail against being PC, but what you’re demanding is political correctness. There’s no two ways about that. I’m guessing it has something to do with the fact that the term racist itself has become something akin to the N word to us.

If you don’t understand my perspective then there is not much I can say. I am the least PC person you will meet unless you equate not having a double standard with political correctness.

Minorities want to talk about racial issues and their experiences vis a vis race with white people, but white people are so concerned with that extremely toxic label that, even knowing in their hearts that they harbor no hate for others, they don’t want to engage and chance that word sticking. If we’re ever going to get past it, I think it’s incumbent on both sides to change their behavior.

…and that is political correctness and the polar opposite of what my point was. By the way, you seem to assume that I am white…have you considered that maybe I am indeed a member of a minority?

I believe a healthy discussion is always good and hopefully we all learn something in the process…as long as we do it as Ron Burgundy would do and keep it classy…

• @JayHawkFanToo I still don’t buy into your definition of political correctness here. I think I agreed with you on the point that blacks and other minorities are quick to cry racism when facing criticism. Did I not call it a sledgehammer? You’re right that my analogy of the double standard of women being able to get away with hitting men but not each other didn’t match what you’re getting at, but again, it is still the case that blacks are allowed to criticize each other, as are Asians, Hispanics, Jews, etc, etc, including various white groups, so I don’t see where the political correctness element comes in. Everyone is allowed to say certain things about their own group in the same way that everyone is allowed to bad mouth their own families, but it would be considered untoward to speak poorly of another person’s family unless you’re especially close to them.

As for whether or not that is right or wrong, I think that’s up to the individual to decide. If it offends you, so be it, but that doesn’t make you the voice of authority in the matter. And again, demanding that everyone comport to your sensibilities on the issue in order to avoid offense is a form of political correctness. What you describe as ‘demeaning’ one’s own race, another might find harmless, or even empowering.

I’m also quite certain that the phenomenon of celebrities being allowed to maintain their social status in the face of domestic violence accusations extends well beyond the boundaries of race. Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen, Shawn Penn, and Bill O’Reilly are all white men that have all been accused or found guilty of violence against women and continued to enjoy their star status, and that’s hardly the tip of the iceberg. I think it says more about celebrity culture than about race relations or double standards.

I don’t know for certain that you’re not a minority, but I wouldn’t say it’s just an assumption. I drew that conclusion based on your own choice of words and attitudes and what my experiences have been like. I admit my deduction could be wrong, but I don’t see how it would change the tenor nor the substance of the conversation. That said, you’re nowhere near the least PC person I will or have ever met. I know comedians. They’re the least PC people in the world. You’ve self-identified as a conservative in the past and, in my experience, conservatives tend to be very PC just like liberals tend to be very PC, especially when you get to the extremes of the spectrum. The only difference between the two is that what one describes as politically correct, the other would simply call correct. My saying that black people (and other minorities) need to change their behavior if they want to be able to discuss race issues with white people isn’t political correctness either. You said yourself that criticizing black people is politically incorrect, and there I have laid a criticism upon them. Were you trying to say that white people not being allowed to say things that might offend black people is politically correct? That I can buy.

Finally, if I don’t understand your perspective, there is plenty you can say. You can make an effort to extend dialogue and explain yourself in other terms rather than getting defensive about it. Not that you owe me any such explanation. I’m not here to make demands of you. But if you’re not understood in the way that you meant to be, you’re not powerless to do anything about that. So please, if I have misunderstood you, take the opportunity to explain yourself, if you’re interested. If not, I’ll live.

• @konkeyDong

You’ve self-identified as a conservative in the past and, in my experience, conservatives tend to be very PC just like liberals tend to be very PC, especially when you get to the extremes of the spectrum.

Liberal are very much the PC crowd, but with all due respect, you are the only person I have heard says that conservatives are very PC, actually it is quite the opposite.

I think my comments explain my way of thinking and at this time, there is not much more I can add to clarify them. Perhaps it is best if we get back to talking KU basketball…this horse has been beaten to death. 🙂

• I just want to say Merry Christmas!

• @Crimsonorblue22 Good one girl !

• I thought my comment “They can protest all they want, but they signed their names to contracts to play football” was simple enough for even a 4 yr old to comprehend. I guess not.

• @brooksmd Me too boss. Was plain enough for me. Its been about 40 yrs since I took at least 2 semesters of Business Law, but I believe this would be technically be governed by the precedents set forth under “offer & acceptance” if in fact it is defined as a contract. However, misery laws & Kansas laws may be as different as day & night. Like I said earlier, it’s hard to believe anyone would even post a thread on such a topic knowing full well the krap & turmoil that would follow. IMO someone should just stick a fork in all the nonsense these threads have created & move on.

• @globaljaybird Racial tension is not something I regularly encounter in my life. I thought I was posting an interesting news article about someone else, and it didn’t occur to me that it would blow up here. An oversight. We don’t need to see eye to eye.

• @approxinfinity Can’t speak for the entire 50 States but if you wanted to give the mid west an enema to purge racism, Missouri is where you’d insert the tube.JMO