Who Owns and/or Controls What in the Allen Field House Mixed Use Development?

• File this post under just curious and triggered by BIA Special Agent @Crimsonorblue22, asking if I had forgotten about the DeBruce Center being the new place for the original rules of the game among other things…

To wit…

@Crimsonorblue22

I was forgetful. 🙂

But it tweaks my curiosity that there is no indication of ownership of the rules, or of the DeBruce Center, only that the rules will “reside” there.

So: yes, I would like to know who owns the rules now?

Also, from a real estate standpoint, something perhaps interesting (not nefarious, just interesting) appears to be occurring with Allen Field House becoming a mixed use complex.

Assuming the DeBruce Center will be near AFH (a perhaps incorrect assumption on my part I will no doubt shortly be enlightened about), the Field House appears to be slowly experiencing accretion of not for profit building appendages: the hall of fame (or whatever its proper name is), the practice center, the DeBruce Center, the parking structure, etc. Some of these appear to be capable of generating revenues.

Does anyone know if these reputedly donated appendages to the original Allen Field House and its site are located on university land, or on pads carved out of university land and so are separate parcels with structures on them?

I have never known, if the original AFH were on its own parcel, or if it were on an unsubdivided portion of the university owned land. Knowing the land tenure of these structures, plus the not for profit corporations owning them (or holding management contracts on them) and the composition of the boards of these organizations might help us better understand how KU Basketball is structured in terms of influence and control via its building infrastructure and land base. A logical possibility would be for all of the structures, including Allen Field House, to be located on an undivided portion of university lands, because they all appear to be physically connected, but another logical possibility would be for each of the structures to be on individually subdivided land parcels with zero lot lines and access/circulation easements. It is a very interesting real estate, ownership, management, and insurance situation.

Some grad student at the B-School could probably get a master’s thesis out of using the AFH complex as a case study not-for-profit mixed use developments.

Rock Chalk!

• @jaybate-1.0

Adidas owns it all!

At this point, nothing would surprise me.

• @drgnslayr

Adidas? Now that I had not considered!