RIP HALF COURT OFFENSE

• I was listening to 610 yesterday evening to a national sports broadcast as one announcer said, “I am so happy that the NCAA has voted to shorten the clock to get rid of the awful Half-Court Offenses that are so ugly as they look for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th options that have been scouted by the same coaches for years. I’m so sick of Big guys with their backs to the basket. This new clock is going to make the dinosaur coaches of basketball play like the NBA and the Europeans where the game is fast and big guys shoot threes. Everyone will have to copy Calipari’s Dribble/Drive offense.”

I felt like Don McClean, when he heard that Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper had died.

Who has a Malone and Stockton on their team to play a two man pick and roll 80% of the time? Who needs a coach when street ball is in vogue. Get use to the announcer saying “They’ve got to hurry to get the shot off.”

I’m not for or against the new shot clock. I just hope that things work out better than the new defensive rules of two years ago.

shot-clock.jpg

• I’m glad for the shot clock change because it will make teams play offense instead of just tossing the ball around the perimeter and sitting on a lead. There is nothing more frustrating than watching a team milk the clock for the first 12-15 seconds of the shot clock before they even start running their offense. With the shot clock shortened, fewer coaches will do that.

If your offense cannot consistently generate a decent look in 20 seconds or so, your offense probably isn’t a very good one.