New Big Man On The Radar

• Just saw this:

Jeff Goodman says: Kansas will host Ole Miss transfer big man Dwight Coleby this weekend, source told ESPN.

I had never heard of the guy. Looks like a body to me. Here’s his ESPN stats.

Chukwu or bust.

• 6th sense ‏@BBALLNOITALL · 8s9 seconds ago
    I wonder if Cheick Diallo and Joel embiid are recruiting Paschal Chukwu to KU?

• exactly, we do not need another 6ft 9 player unless he is a stud. this kid IS NOT a stud like you say think its just a body. very very meager stats at Ole Miss like 5.4 scoring and 4.b rebounding and 29 blocks. the question would be WHY? why even have him on campus for a visit? seems like it would be a wasted scholarship. I think w would much rather take Paschal or even the Williams kid at least he had better numbers, better rim protector

• Maybe we’ve a Jaybird flyin ’ da coop ?

• @globaljaybird who?

• @Statmachine

Bill seems to take this apparent Big Shoe big man asymmetry aka “blockade” seriously at last.

It is like he is stocking the hold of a privateer with anything he can grab regardless of what year they will become available, because he knows most of the main ports of call are closed to him.

No more waiting around for HIGH QUALITY from either the adidas, or Nike, convoy systems.

Good move on Captain Bill’s part.

Calipari’s reputed apparent willingness to pursue adidas recruits up stream, plus the growing apparent Nike stack archipelago, (Nike UK, Nike Duke, Nike LSU, Nike UA, and Nike Cal-Berkeley)" plus the ongoing siege of Fort Chapel Hill (Nike Jordan), plus the bail out of “right way guy” Donovan from Nike Florida and possible bail out of “right way guy” Fred from ISU, suggests that big men available to adidas programs may become scarcer than invitations to British privateers to attend gala Habsburg balls in Castillian Spain during the Age of Discovery and Age of Colonization!!!

Increasingly, it looks like KU and other adidas programs may be living through a big man blockade and Coach Self and other adidas coaches may be moving into blockade running mode. We may have to nick name Coach Self one of the following: Captain Jacque L’ Self, or Crimson and Blue Beard, or Captain William Kidd, or Captain Rhett Selfer.

Instead of using a fast ship for a privateer, he is flying in Cessna Citations, etc. With all this blockade running with players across water (Great Lakes, or the oceans) , it may be time to get him a Grumman Albatross, or a DeHavilland Otter, or something like the high mucky mucks wisely fearing maintenance induced emergency landings at sea sometimes use.

The apparent big man blockade appears to be “runnable” with certain foreign players for reasons not yet apparent.

Embiid. Diallo.

Also with a few transfers.

Mickelson. Coleby? Chukwu?

Chukwu seems an ideal candidate for blockade running because he is reputedly a transfer AND a foreign player.

Hmmmmm.

In times of imperial oppression of free trade, sometimes privateering becomes necessary. Our founders resorted to it in a big way, when dealing with Crown of Great Britain and the vascillating British Parliament. Many of those privateers became the first heroes of our country.

Run the apparent blockade for the crimson and blue.

Go, Bill, go!!!

• @jayballer54 FYI, KU appears out on Williams. He’s down to Georgetown, Gonzaga, and SMU from what I’ve read.

• @HighEliteMajor If KU’s out on Williams, Coleby sounds like he’s replacing Williams as the Chukwu fall back plan.

Definitely not the ceiling Chukwu has, but he’s at least a decent shot blocker. 0.9 bpg in 16 minutes is about 2.5 per 40 minutes which isn’t the best ever, but it’s a respectable number.

• I (personally) find it hard to speculate the Shoe Companies have froze-out Self on elite level bigs…when has 6’9 not been considered a bigman. He may be a stretch-4, but he’s still a post player. And we got 2 Mickey-D level, athletic, 6’9 bigs coming this year…where’s the freeze-out?

Regarding Dwight Coleby? Hmm, let me spew an educated-guess: either Lucas or Hunter alone > Coleby. (At least for this coming season. Maybe Coleby ends up being a DJax-like project big? We wont know that for a while…)

• Agree with HEM’s “Chukwu or bust”. It would have an especially nice ring to it if we play WSU again (say his name 3 times…).

• If none of yall know anything about Coleby how can you say he wouldn’t be a good pickup. He had to come off the bench. Is a legit 6’9 and very athletic. From the Ole miss games I saw this year he was very good when in the game.

• @BeddieKU23 From my point of view, I’m factoring in that 1) he didn’t play much his sophomore season (7th on the team in minutes) for an average at best team, 2) the big men in front of him weren’t world beaters, 3) I had never heard of him before today, 4) he was unranked coming out of high school, and 5) his stats are just ok, though his rebounds per minute are good.

Now, I have no first hand knowledge. Don’t recall ever seeing him (as I had never heard of him). So I am very interested in your opinion since you do recall him. That holds more weight in my book.

He was really good In the game you saw, but the nagging question is why only 16 minutes per game for the season? I looked at his by game stats. There is positive there. Maybe you saw the Arkansas game where he had a double-double?

But for some reason the basketball power known as Ole Miss wouldn’t play him big minutes. Man, that tells me something.

Not to defeat my own point, but didn’t Tarik Black average only 20 minutes per game? He wasn’t in the top 5 in minutes his last season at Memphis, I know that for sure.

Anyway, another name.

Perhaps we can agree that we’d like Chukwu. No doubt. If we get this kid instead, we’ll be disappointed we didn’t get Chukwu, but we won’t know 'till we see him on the court.

• I think bringing in Coleby for a visit is just part of recruiting Chukwu.

The idea is that we put a heavy push on Chukwu to commit on his visit. Easier to do when we have other players eager to sign if he can’t make a decision.

We definitely want Chukwu. Problem is… as time goes by, between the present and his visit, Chukwu keeps adding more schools to his list. We really don’t want this to be a long, drawn out recruit process. Self wants to fill that spot and get on with WUG.

• @HighEliteMajor said:

@BeddieKU23 From my point of view, I’m factoring in that 1) he didn’t play much his sophomore season (7th on the team in minutes) for an average at best team, 2) the big men in front of him weren’t world beaters, 3) I had never heard of him before today, 4) he was unranked coming out of high school, and 5) his stats are just ok, though his rebounds per minute are good.

Now, I have no first hand knowledge. Don’t recall ever seeing him (as I had never heard of him). So I am very interested in your opinion since you do recall him. That holds more weight in my book.

He was really good In the game you saw, but the nagging question is why only 16 minutes per game for the season? I looked at his by game stats. There is positive there. Maybe you saw the Arkansas game where he had a double-double?

But for some reason the basketball power known as Ole Miss wouldn’t play him big minutes. Man, that tells me something.

Not to defeat my own point, but didn’t Tarik Black average only 20 minutes per game? He wasn’t in the top 5 in minutes his last season at Memphis, I know that for sure.

Anyway, another name.

Perhaps we can agree that we’d like Chukwu. No doubt. If we get this kid instead, we’ll be disappointed we didn’t get Chukwu, but we won’t know 'till we see him on the court.

He is a big that needs development, he was very good in the games that I saw, the uk, florida, and 2 others. Ole Miss is a perimeter oriented team and he didn’t get enough minutea to have better stats. He is very athletic, much more than Lucas and reminds me of Tarik Black some.

I think we all would prefer chukwu, but he was a non factor in another perimeter oriented team. Both would do great to develop under self. Size wise and potential wise chukwu offers more but if we are left with Coleby, at least he gives the chance to be a solid role player with good size and athletic ability we will need after the year.

• @BeddieKU23 Ok … thanks for the additional info. He’d be in his 4th college year by the time he would hit the court for Kansas, so maybe a chance to mature, get stronger, and increase his skill set. At the very worst, he’s reasonable insurance. I like @drgnslayr take that this will perhaps let Chukwu know that the spot isn’t open forever. Also, I doubt that Coleby’s presence on the roster would dissuade any top tier guys like Bolden or Herard that we’re after right now.

Your right landing Coleby wouldn’t stop us from getting the big fish we are after but landing chukwu could because he has considerable talent that can be let loose.

Coleby showed soft touch, can block shots and can run the floor from what I saw of him. I think him transferring has to do with Ole Miss wanting to be a perimeter team. It’s either wr get a sophomore giant or junior reliable option. I’d hope that self waits out chukwu intensions and is able to convince him to come

I just think the sky won’t be falling if coleby is the option we are left too.

• Oh, and did I say, “Chukwu or bust?”

• Hmmmm, wasn’t there a basketfull of “why did HCBS sign him” when he grabbed Tarik? Just askin’.

• @brooksmd

Absolutely. There had been a lot of talk that he had an attitude/discipline problem at Memphis and many of us had concerns, but Coach Self proved to be a better judge of character than many of us,as usual, he had a lot more inside information than we did…

• @BeddieKU23 I think you accidentally edited my post and added the information after my reference to Bolden and Herard.

• Dwight coleby has transferred to Kansas

• @blackmild33

Former Ole Miss big Dwight Coleby transferring to KU

How many more do we have to give? I think we have one more?

• @HighEliteMajor

I did sorry I was responding from my phone must have hit the wrong button Didn’t know you could do that. my bad Hem

Looks like self wasn’t waiting for chukwu. Coleby to ku

• @truehawk93

That’s all for this year unless vick doesn’t stick in 15

• @BeddieKU23 No problem … I mean on the posting thing. Chukwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu???

• Coleby looks to have decent upside. Probably like Self, I have grown weary of these recruits who are dragging their heels, evidently shopping for max playing time which Self won’t guarantee (but for perhaps one or two exceptions). Coleby arrived in Lawrence with an extra bag packed, planning to stay in town. Kudos to his sound judgment! Welcome aboard, Dwight. ROCK CHALK!

• Coleby could be a nice pickup. He’s an athletic guy that will benefit from a year of going toe to toe with Perry, Carlton, Cheick and others in practice every day. He has a full year to learn the system and otherwise acclimate himself to everything that is going on.

And then he will have two full years of eligibility after that if I understand everything correctly.

I don’t know that he is a world beater, necessarily, but if we aren’t getting an elite big man, a definite D1 guy with a year in the system and 2 years of D1 experience is better than a lower ranked prospect IMHO.