VICK TO DECIDE THIS WEEK ON 2015 OR 2016.

• I know some of you hate reading from this source. This decision will create lots of talk, or put lots of talk off until next year.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2015/may/27/ku-commitment-vick-5050-reclassifying/

• Capture.PNG

• @wrwlumpy He better reclassify to 2015. My arms are tired from all the pom poms I’ve been cheering him on with.

• If he does reclassify, how do you think minutes get dispersed? I honestly don’t think he plays and gets a redshirt. He has to put on at least 10lbs of muscle before he can hang IMO. But, WUG and the exhibition games could easily change my mind.

Here is my thoughts though:

Backcourt: (120 Minutes)

• Mason - 30

• Selden - 30 (Based on last 2 seasons)

• Svi - 30

• Graham - 17

• Green - 13

• Ellis or Bragg - Spot/Emergency

• Vick - RS

Frontcourt: (80 Minutes)

• Ellis- 28

• Diallo - 22

• Bragg - 17

• Lucas- 12

• Traylor - 8

• Mickelson - 3

• @Kcmatt7 Switch Graham and Svi’s minutes.

• @wrwlumpy

I agree. It is going to be tough for Self to sit Graham for any length of time. He really started to shine late in the season, and Self needs to start emphasizing players that like the big lights in March. Graham is one of those guys. I feel like he is going to be a major piece in bringing home another NC for Kansas during his days as a Jayhawk.

My prediction is that Graham is going to be one of the biggest surprises this coming year. He now knows the Self system, and he is a true opportunistic player… meaning… when the defense gives him a gap, he’ll drive and make them pay, either with a mid range shot or feeding an open player. Graham is not afraid of pushing the contact. I hope Wayne starts picking up more of Graham’s attitude, but if he doesn’t, we do have Devonte in the wings to make it all happen.

We’ve got too many 2s. I hope some of these guys can stretch into other roles (like at the 3) but we won’t know if they can until we get into our season.

I look at guys like Svi and I dream about his development, but who knows how much he develops in college. I see a guy who could fill the slot at either the 2 or the 3 if he can muscle up and learn to finish strong at the rim, mostly by not overpowering defenders but by playing with high basketball IQ like Ginobili. He is a guy who can score on anyone when he gets enough space to score in motion. I imagine Svi as the next Ginobili. Will it happen in Lawrence? Big question there.

Greene has a lot of development he needs to make happen. We all love his spot up shot, but he has to bring a lot more game than a spot up shot to get minutes.

• So, it’s the end of the week. Is today the day we here from Mister Vick?

• @Kcmatt7 I don’t know where they will come from, but I envision Mickelson gleaning more minutes this season. Might depend on how tough and determined he is; also, on Traylor’s health. I’d adjust Svi’s minutes to 26, Graham’s to 21. If Vick does commit, and does not red shirt, then all bets are off regarding backcourt distribution of minutes. I sure do hope that we see the very best of Wayne Selden on a consistent basis this season. If he fades in and out again I’d opt for nailing him to the pine, activating Vick and tweaking the offense. Am not dead certain, but I think that Bill Self can function within parameters of the word TWEAK.

• @REHawk The person Mickelson’s minutes needs to come from is Jamari Traylor. Mickelson brief flashes showed a bigger ability to positively affect the game. And he actually can rebound the basketball.

From a purely cold business perspective, I think the best thing for Kansas basketball this season would be for Traylor to sustain an injury and then be able to get a medical redshirt for a 6th season. That would put Self in a position where he simply couldn’t play Traylor. Mickelson would likely get more time in his last season. If not, then our other guys would fill those minutes.

Further, Traylor would come back after we would have lost Ellis, Diallo and Mickelson. Maybe we have Bragg, Chukwu, and Lucas. And perhaps we snag Bolden. I could stomach Traylor better in that circumstance … barely.

Likewise, if Mickelson got hurt, he could likely get that 6th season via medical redshirt.

We know it won’t happen though. Don’t wish anyone to get hurt. Just the consequence of such an event is my discussion point.

Personally, I just dread the idea of Traylor blocking Diallo or Bragg. Ugh.

• @HighEliteMajor It sounds like you don’t want Jamari to play at all. Does he owe you money or something?

• @wrwlumpy Nah, I just don’t think that he is very good. I’ll skip my usual monologue on why I feel that way. Don’t get me wrong. I like the sporadic bursts of “good Jamari.” I just don’t like the Jamari we normally see on the court.

But that was maybe the best clip of the season.

• he will have a decision by Monday

• With Vick coming either way, most likely 2015, it has me looking at how this impacts future recruiting.

My first though is about Mitch Ballock. Unless things change both he and Vick fill a similar role. Hopefully Vick doesn’t push away a local kid. I always want the best available but maybe next year if we miss I won’t worry as much knowing Mitch is a lock for the next year.

My second thought is maybe relationships aren’t such a big deal in AAU ball other wise why won’t we see a bump in interest from Jaylen Fisher. KU was on him early but he appears to be staying local at this point. Fisher looks like a good fit and a reliable back-up for a senior Graham.

I’m done thinking, bored with slow bball news today.

• Banned

@wrwlumpy

We don’t hate the site. Just don’t like answering three questions about shit that don’t matter, and have to have a Facebook account just to post.

• @Kcmatt7 The front court minutes will be interesting. Self typically plays 4 guys… I don t think Traylor will be the odd man out due to his experience. I can t see him getting single digit minutes just based on Self s history of preferring experienced guys. That would leave Lucas or one of the freshmen as the single digit minute guys. But we will see.

• So Today is the day that we find out if Vick goes to Korea with the team?

• I honestly thought today was Monday. Its like the doctor telling the patient, I’m sorry but you have Cancer and Alzheimer’s. The patient said, “Well, at least I don’t have Cancer.”

• @wrwlumpy today is Sunday tomorrow is Monday

• @wrwlumpy Thank you for posting that jamtray clip!!

That is my FAVORITE sequence from the last few years of jayhawk basketball ( EJ exploding at the end of Iowa state game is close )

This Jamari clip shoud be on a loop on a monitor somewhere in Allen Fieldhose Playing constantly …

• Now it’s Monday. Make it happen!!!

• @wrwlumpy you positive? You will never live this down!!😉

• @HighEliteMajor

“Personally, I just dread the idea of Traylor blocking Diallo or Bragg. Ugh.”

This gets into the area where none of us know of the relationships and commitments Self has with his players. Last year we all pulled out our own hair watching Wayne on cruise control through much of the season and Self not pulling him out to make him earn his minutes back. It is obvious he has some kind of verbal commitment with Wayne. I’m guessing he has some kind of verbal commitment with BamBam, too.

I recall when Jamari was waiting on the sidelines with Ben and Self started talking about his relationship with Jamari. He was deeply touched by his situation of living in a car to making something good happen with his life. Self said back then that he would make sure Jamari left Kansas with PROFESSIONAL basketball skills so he could make a living playing ball. I don’t think he was talking NBA… but as we all know, there are a lot more opportunities to make a living playing ball besides the NBA. Self is going to give Jamari minutes this year… you can count on that.

• It will be tonight

• @Crimsonorblue22 I’m too old to have to live anything down. Yesterday was like that movie “Still Alice.” I’m always walking into a room and forgetting why I went into it. Anyway, If Vick doesn’t announce, blackmild33 will be the one who won’t be able to live it down.

• @blackmild33 and… What do you think the decision will be?

• @Crimsonorblue22 I don’t know. There must be a lot of paperwork involved, NCAA grade sanctioning, Summer school enrollment and numerous other hurdles. Practice begins in 7 days. I speculate if all of this can be accomplished. I guess I was answering for him. Another one of my moments.

• @drgnslayr I can remember his first suspension when we blamed him for a loss. What 5th year starter at KU can you remember as being a bust? Withey, Young, Releford, Teahan, E.J., Morningstar? I agree that his highlights have been spectacular and then he’ll get into early foul trouble and disappear. Things became tough for him when he started to become a force and then good Big 12 Coaches started to Scout him. I think he will change your’s and HEM’s mind this year. I also think Lucas will push the new big boys for playing time, not because he is better, but because he knows the offense and defensive scheme’s better than the rookies.

• @wrwlumpy You wrote, “I’m always walking into a room and forgetting why I went into it (a la STILL ALICE).” Heck, didn’t you see me, standing on the far side of that same room, scratching my head, wondering why I had walked in there?

• @Crimsonorblue22 we’ll just have to wait and see

• @wrwlumpy if he doesn’t go to the 2015 will be fine for next year

• there has been a delay he won’t be announcing tonight it will be Tuesday night

• @blackmild33 brother!

• Or Wednesday night.

• @wrwlumpy Or Thursday morning…

• If Chukwu feels comfortable with his visit to Lawrence Wednesday, it is probably in his best interest to commit before a grad assistant is assigned to drive him back to KCI. If the decision is left flapping in the breeze, I’d say that Vick will sign the 13th and last scholarship for 2015-16.

• By way of borrowing a guard from Larry Brown, to fortify our perimeter lineup, Bill Self is declaring that there is an immediate need going forward…perhaps more of an immediate need than another big man to commit right now for 2016-17. If Chukwu does commit, will we see some other unforseen action regarding the current scholly lineup?

• @REHawk said:

By way of borrowing a guard from Larry Brown, to fortify our perimeter lineup, Bill Self is declaring that there is an immediate need going forward.

Don’t forget Self borrowed the extra guard because Greene is injured, and Self claims Greene will be ready for the season.

He may be less ready than Self claims, but with an extra five months to heal there is a real difference between the WUG roster and the regular season roster, which should have more depth.