Beaty making progress out of the gate

• http://www2.kusports.com/news/2014/dec/29/beaty-already-reaping-rewards/

Cedar Hill appeared in the last three straight Texas State Championships winning the last two. The fact that the Cedar Hill coach was calling Beaty about athletes the week before the game tells me his recruiting connections to the land of Friday Night Lights are the real deal.

• This has nothing to do with KU recruiting but about a week or so ago I was listening to XM College Sports Nation and I want to say it was the Chris Childers show w/ Greg McElroy. Anyways they were talking about how bad the ranking system are. They said what the ranking system in football really breaks down to is this: 5star guys are NFL locks, guys that scouting services are pretty certain will be playing on Sundays. 4star guys are those that scouts think are All-Conference players. And the 3star guys are starters on the their team. 2star guys are 2deep, for depth. McElroy also said that just because a guy is a 3 star doesn’t mean they aren’t or can’t be great. He, Sam Bradford, Christian Ponder, Colin Kaepernick and Andy Dalton were all 3 star guys in '06.