Chris Johnson Montverde c/o Elkins HS TX 23

• Looking like a top target. The kind of combo guard that Self likes. 6’5’’, positionally flexible.

In this interview with a national Rivals guy, KU was the only school he talked about in depth.

“In this month of June and next month, I’m supposed to be going to Kansas, Texas, Alabama, Arkansas and UConn,” Johnson said. “They should all happen this summer, but if they don’t I’ll be taking them eventually.”

Of the visits currently on his tentative itinerary, Johnson says he’s most certain that a trip to Kansas will take place this summer, as the Jayhawks have been leading the charge on his recruitment for some time.

“They love my game and they’ve really been on me for a long time,” Johnson said of KU. “They’ve really been on me hard since the school year. I really love their coaching staff and how they play together.”

The combination of head coach Bill Self and assistant coach Jeremy Case are spearheading Johnson’s recruitment for the Jayhawks, who seem to have made a lot of headway in the race to land the four-star prospect, who is also extremely high on Arkansas.

“Coach Case is a real down-to-earth guy,” Johnson said. “He lets you know the real and doesn’t sugar coat anything for you. He’s just cool and easy to talk to.”

• Chris Lockett Jr a priority also Coach Self told him he’ll take him if he committed on the spot according to On3 I guess Coach was tryna be funny since we was in New Orleans for the Final Four already but we couldn’t do a in home visit because he was playing EYBL in Texas at the time.

• Sounds like Johnson is prett , would be nice catchy high on KU. Nice size

• Yeah this is big time. Lots of Och vibes

• Johnson scouting report. Hope we get this one done

A versatile scoring and playmaking guard with a solid dose of explosiveness, Johnson simply has that alpha male mentality. He is known for his work ethic, but also just knows how to play on both ends with a good natural instinct for the game. A gifted passer, Johnson has an excellent feel for the game and matching skills with great size. He can impact the game as a secondary ball handler as he has the feel, touch, and vision to be an effective play maker. Defensively, he is known for being the ultimate competitor and it shows in the way he competes on that end. Johnson projects as a great player and prospect that will be an immediate contributor at whatever program he chooses down the road.

• Would love to get him on board before he heads to Montverde.

• @TYOHawk You’ve got nothing to worry about my man.

• You don’t even have to wait very long. He will be committing in 2 days. 🙂

• @BShark Great news and a good start to this class.

• @TYOHawk Bill takes recruiting period off, lands a top target. 🐐

• Know a guy who follows and scouts all the elite HS basketball talent. Asked him about Johnson and this is his description.

“ Johnson is pretty good. Very good athlete, his on ball d is excellent. Shot is getting better, tho still needs work. Prob needs work on his body to maximize upside and decision making needs work as a guard.”

• @TYOHawk No wonder Bill wanted him.

Also in talking with a buddy of mine one thing that jumped out to us watching a bit was that he needs to get in the weight room. My exact comment at one point was “he will really benefit from our s&c program”.

• Going to be a theme there. Losing a year+ really affected this class’s physical and mental maturity.

• Watched him play last night against AZ Compass. He’s the real deal…shot creator, athletic and when it was crunch time he made plays and wanted the ball. He can get overly emotional but he’s a teen but he’s the real deal. Case did great locking this one up before his stock rises

• I was impressed with his defense last night. Did have a bit of an emotional flare up as you said.

• Going to be very interesting to see how this staff handles his emotional side. This has the potential to go sour depending on his ability to mature.

I trust the staff will know how to get the most out of him & hopefully with time Chris grows out of this.

Sidenote: He’s really good & a very exciting prospect.

• @BeddieKU23 said in Chris Johnson Montverde c/o Elkins HS TX 23:

Going to be very interesting to see how this staff handles his emotional side. This has the potential to go sour depending on his ability to mature.

I trust the staff will know how to get the most out of him & hopefully with time Chris grows out of this.

Sidenote: He’s really good & a very exciting prospect.

Huge to also sign his friend McDowell for that reason. Plus Elmarko is by all accounts a great kid, no one has a bad word to say about him. Basically betting on the team culture here which I think is a good bet.