McDonald's All American game thoughts

• Anyone watch the game last night?

Only watched most of the first half

Gradey hit a 3, couple steals, active defensively. Appears to be a high level passer as well. He’s every bit 6’7. Hopefully we can get 2 years out of him at KU.

Udeh had a lob dunk and was very active defensively at the rim and had at least 1 steal playing his man straight up. However he’s a PROJECT at the free throw line. Air-balled his first so badly it reminded me of Brady Morningstar. After making his first attempt on another 2 shot sequence he again air-balled it. His form needs work. He can run the floor well for a 7 footer (better then Dave/Doke) have in the past at the 5 spot. Mostly just screened and rolled to the basket. Love his potential in a few years.

Other thoughts-

I know its been 2 years since they had this game but this 22 class looks really good. The athleticism and length really stood out. Dillon Mitchell going to Texas is a problem athlete. He’s going to be the best athlete in the conference and just glides to the rim and really knows how to finish. Keyonte George is also a high rising guard with a ton of skill going to Baylor and he’ll play a lot immediately. Morris the other Texas signee in the game looked like a talented guard prospect as well, tremendous size for a combo.

The broadcast slobbered over Derek Lively the #1 player going to Duke but I was not impressed. I thought Dariq Whitehead who won the MVP was the goods. Tremendous athlete with all-around game. He is scary good.

Cam Whitmore was another that really stood out who’s going to Villanova. He’s going to be a problem in their system. His size and athleticism just pops off the screen. Perhaps the best prospect Jay Wright has signed.

The duo of Nick Smith & Anthony Black at Arkansas looks scary. Big guards who really look like they could compliment each other well. Black has that feel for the game as a distributor and Smith is wired to score and defend.

Kel’el Ware going to Oregon has a ton of long term potential. His athleticism shined big time on some plays like a put back slam off a missed 3 where he caught the ball behind his head and slammed it down. Looked like a plus rebounder and shot blocker as well.

Lots of talent incoming.

• @BeddieKU23 it’s hard to really take a lot out of this game anymore. - - lot of easy break away dunks a lot of just who has the ball do your thing, & I realize in a all star game like that - -that’s just the way it is. One thing I did notice though looked like Udeh bunch was a little more organized like defensively - -Grady’s group at times looked confuse - -not interested on the defensive end and looked lost on the offensive end when they actually tried to get in a set.

I noticed Udeh free throw too – Doke Part 2. - -I ended up shutting it off a little bit into the 3rd quarter just hard to keep interest anymore in these things

• @jayballer67

Yeah I wasn’t focused on the score as much as other things. Udeh’s defense is ahead of his offense but that’s fine. Early on his role isn’t going to be like Dave or Doke’s were as upperclassmen. But I was impressed with how big he is compared to the others on the court & how he ran the court. He looked like a great fit for Self to mold over the coming years.

Dick didn’t stand out in a game where his team was pretty awful. Guys just hunting shots and doing whatever they wanted to. Once he passed it to someone it never came back his way. The East guys seemed to take their defense a lot more serious. I loved Gradey’s size, handles, passing & he’s a tremendous fit for this team next year. He’s going to play a lot.

• @BeddieKU23 said in McDonald's All American game thoughts:

@jayballer67

Yeah I wasn’t focused on the score as much as other things. Udeh’s defense is ahead of his offense but that’s fine. Early on his role isn’t going to be like Dave or Doke’s were as upperclassmen. But I was impressed with how big he is compared to the others on the court & how he ran the court. He looked like a great fit for Self to mold over the coming years.

Dick didn’t stand out in a game where his team was pretty awful. Guys just hunting shots and doing whatever they wanted to. Once he passed it to someone it never came back his way. The East guys seemed to take their defense a lot more serious. I loved Gradey’s size, handles, passing & he’s a tremendous fit for this team next year. He’s going to play a lot.

Have to agree with your assessment. - - Udeh is a big solid guy , ran pretty well - -and like you said and which is true in so many of these games - Dick passed to someone and that was it - -you could forget about them moving the ball back around it was pass & SHOOT. The East did at least play some defense that’s for sure , sounds like we both pretty much had the same take

• Thought: It’s a terrible “game” as always.

It’s probably not the best setting for Gradey though he looked alright. From watching him at Sunrise I am fairly convinced he will be great at KU in Self’s system.

Udeh is a great fit and I think he contributes next year. He will be physically dominant from the start the key will be what skills he can develop if any.

@BeddieKU23 Whitehead is good, in my fantasy world he would be at KU. 5 stars have been kind of a disaster under Jay Wright so we will see with Whitmore.

It’s clear that KU, Texas and Baylor have the best classes in the league this year.

• Good for OACHI - -Oachi - -has won THE FANS VOTE for Naismith player of the year - -of Course this isn’t the offical but he DID win the fans vote