Big12 expansion

• Saw where the conference is going to formally reach out to BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston perhaps as early as this season inviting them to join the Big12.

Info obviously leaked, which means that those schools have probably already accepted the invite and that OU and Texas have come to some sort of a yet to be announced agreement as to their buyout and will be SEC bound perhaps after this season or at the latest after next.

• WSU is not very happy. I really like their new coach, but their fans, not so much.

• Honestly one of my fears is those schools coming in and leaping B12 teams in the next realignment if we give them the platform of the B12 now.

• This is subtraction by addition.

• It’s basically done

• When you look at TV market size, this makes as much sense as any other option I’ve heard, short of the Big 10 taking us in.

You’d be adding market #8 (Houston), 17 (Orlando), 30 (SLC, plus a national following) and 36 (Cincinnati). I was surprised to see that the Orlando metro is now bigger than Miami, according to Nielsen. (BTW, Kansas City has dropped to #34.)

When UCF beat Boise State last night it added to their national profile. A rising program at a school with a 70,000 student enrollment, in a growing market.

• @nwhawkfan said in Big12 expansion:

When you look at TV market size, this makes as much sense as any other option I’ve heard, short of the Big 10 taking us in.

You’d be adding market #8 (Houston), 17 (Orlando), 30 (SLC, plus a national following) and 36 (Cincinnati). I was surprised to see that the Orlando metro is now bigger than Miami, according to Nielsen. (BTW, Kansas City has dropped to #34.)

When UCF beat Boise State last night it added to their national profile. A rising program at a school with a 70,000 student enrollment, in a growing market.

It does not look or feel like the B1G really wants us. On the bright side, those are not chump football programs that we are adding, nor are they - even UCF really - that in basketball.

All things considered, it is the best that we could hope for Big12 wise. I am starting to think that we won’t go anywhere, will stay put in the 12 out of necessity due to having no other realistic options - if you were the cozy A.D. at a B1G school would you want KU to beat you every year in basketball?

I believe that those four teams accumulative will actually add conference football power (Texas hasn’t done anything in years), ditto in basketball.

• Don’t know People here might already know this/heard but a goof friend of mine was watching Fox yesterday Morning and they were talking say that - - BYU , Cincinnati , Houston & UCF could very well turn in their applications to be accepted by the Big !2 to join the league. Sounds like this might be closer to becoming a reality then thought.

Talking like that these 4 teams could very easily be playing in the Big 12 by 2023. The longer this goes the more just might be the move we need to make, especially now. Wouldn’t be that bad. - - BYU was ranked 11 in the Nation last year in Football, always gives Gonzaga fits when they play , respectable program/solid Cincinnati solid in football pretty decent in Basketball Houston pretty decent in Basketball - -UCF good in football and HUGE fan base - -becoming reality

• Well the pieces coming together , it IS happening. Reports are the CinCinnati & UCF have submitted their applications to joing the Big 12 with BYU and Houston to follow shortly. - Like they were saying there is no way that OU/TEX stay till this contract runs out. Belief is they will pay whatever is necessary to get into the SEC soon. They say there is NO WAY the SEC waits until 2024 for them to join the league - -looks like by 2023 we will have the 4 new teams playing in the league.

The longer this goes the more I’m in favor for it. - - There is more and more talk when the next round comes around sounding more like the Big 1 will look to add another 4 teams Going to be really interesting how all this ends up playing out. making the league 16 teams.

• @nwhawkfan I really don’t understand the notion that adding a school gives you a market. Houston…the Texans, Astros, Rockets, Dynamo, etc. not to mention UT, A&M, or even TT…and that leaves UH where 15% (that is not a typo) of the student body lives on campus…it’s a commuter school!! How much does that really “add” ? Pretty much the same for UCF. Just too many other “entertainment” options in their markets to make those schools much of the presence, That’s not to say the Big XII had much choice but to add schools (I hope BYU doesn’t become a mini-Texas in “demands”), and those are probably the “best” available ones. But to ascribe significant market penetration to these schools (maybe BYU In SLC is the exception) merely on the size of the market is foolhardy and at best is putting lipstick on a pig, in my opinion.

• done deal for BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, Houston

SMH

• @BeddieKU23 said in Big12 expansion:

done deal for BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, Houston

SMH

What other options were there though?

• @Marco

For sure it was probably best case scenario. Just disappointing

• The conference is bonded by the most tenuous of connections… even more tenuous than when OU and Texas were a part of it.

By that, what I mean is that there is no cultural, geographic or historical connection among the majority of this group. It’s a composite held together only by financial aspirations.

My gut says that KU and WVU will jump if/when given the right opportunity.

• @bskeet hope we have an offer. Hope fb will improve!

• This post is deleted!

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Big12 expansion:

@bskeet hope we have an offer. Hope fb will improve!

Well, I don’t see where improving facebook is going to help get us into the B1G… But I’ve been wrong before.

• @bskeet I think your analysis is spot-on but I think given the right opportunity ANY of the schools would leave the Big XII.

• @ICThawk said in Big12 expansion:

@bskeet I think your analysis is spot-on but I think given the right opportunity ANY of the schools would leave the Big XII.

I think he is spot-on too, but where would they all go? Answer, for most of them nowhere. The biggest complaint that I have, no geographic proximity at all.

• @Marco serious, or kidding, 🏈 fb!

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Big12 expansion:

@Marco serious, or kidding, 🏈 fb!

Lol! Kidding…

• @Marco said in Big12 expansion:

@ICThawk said in Big12 expansion:

@bskeet I think your analysis is spot-on but I think given the right opportunity ANY of the schools would leave the Big XII.

I think he is spot-on too, but where would they all go? Answer, for most of them nowhere. The biggest complaint that I have, no geographic proximity at all.

The premise was that “if the right opportunity arose”, not that it necessarily would arise for any or all of the teams currently in the Big XII. What I was saying is that for the teams presently in the conference (not including OUT of course) the Big XII is not seen as a 'destination" conference where they might LIKE to be. If any BigXII school received an offer from the B1G, SEC, ACC or probably even the PAC, not that any such offer may be forthcoming to any of the schools, I believe that the school(s) would accept in a 'New York minute.". As you indicate, until an offer is received the schools are here by necessity, not by choice.

• @ICThawk I understood what you were saying. Sorry, wasn’t trying to imply that you meant otherwise. I don’t think that we or any other Big12 school - including the four that we just added - are ever going to get another invite. What we have is what we have imo, and we have to go with and make the best of it.

Goolsby has not ruled out further expansion, beyond the twelve. I am not in favor of it, unless (and it is damn near out of the realm of possibility, but not quite) that means welcoming Missouri, Colorado, Nebraska and A&M back into the fold. Wouldn’t that be a coup.

• This post is deleted!

• I don’t think MU, CU, Neb or A&M would return to the B12. I think the move was a clear win for CU in almost every way. Nebraska won’t leave. It would be unprecedented for the B10 to boot them, and that’s the only way they would leave. MU and A&M might have some motivations to leave the SEC (like A&M to flip the bird to Texas one more time), but there is no better financial situation for them anywhere, so that idea is just a muse.

I don’t see many of the current/new B12 schools as targets for a power4 conference with the exception of KU and WVU (and maybe ISU). A case could be made that these two (or three) fit naturally into a P4 conference geographically, culturally and/or academically. The ones that just moved up to the B12 are not going to get a whiff at the P4. The remainders (OSU, KSU, TT, TCU, Baylor) don’t have a chair in the P4.

If I had to guess, here’s what I think will happen (BTW, I haven’t really been right about how any of this has actually gone down, so this probably won’t be reality, but hey, it’s fun to speculate!):

First, KU will sit tight and let the new B12 stabilize. For the next couple years, despite the weak football program, KU will have an opportunity to be the esteemed leader of the conference. A few years later, when the TV contracts come up for renewal, KU (and maybe one or two others) should have an opportunity explore a possible exit. Depending on how lucrative the contract is for the new B12, KU will have to decide whether to be a big fish in a little pond, or move to and become a little fish in a big (but more stable and more lucrative) pond. If KU leaves (and I think they should if they can), at least some of the remaining B12 will merge with the Mountain West, which has 11 members right now.

With all of that transition, the B12/MountainWest will lose its status as a power conference. Nearly all of the P4 conferences will have 16 teams and can easily form a balanced elite college league and milk a huge contract for their conference and league playoff championships.

The music will have stopped at that point. There will be those on the inside and those on the outside and homeostasis will be reached.

• been hearing talk off the sports radio and now reading off other boards. Being said that Big 12 executives are watching closely as PAC 12 negotiates new TV deal in 2024 when the current agreement with Fox & ESPN expires. If the Pac 21 media rights revenues approximates Big 12 there is the feeling within the Big 12 thats some PAC 12 schools might be interested in joining. The schools being most mentioned are Arizona , Arizona State , Colorado & Utah - -with rumors of the BIG trying to get the Cal Schools USC ,UCLA , & the others make this more probable.

Then you got the AAC raiding the Mountain West this craziness is just getting started

• This post is deleted!