OU, Texas to the SEC?

• @Crimsonorblue22 yeah, I thought he hit mostly the right notes. Didn’t say much of anything and left the door WIDE OPEN to leaving the Big 12 as soon as we’re able.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in OU, Texas to the SEC?:

@Kcmatt7 said in OU, Texas to the SEC?:

Id be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous…

Anyone who isn’t is either ignorant or lying 😳

It certainly gives us an excuse to displace our worries about the Delta variant, our political upheaval, and whether a big asteroid will strike the earth within 4 million years…

• @FarmerJayhawk you think we have a plan ready to go if they jump ship any time? Do you think Girod wants us to stay with the leftovers?

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in OU, Texas to the SEC?:

@FarmerJayhawk you think we have a plan ready to go if they jump ship any time? Do you think Girod wants us to stay with the leftovers?

My strong sense is they’ll jump on the first offer among ACC, PAC, or B1G. And all else equal, B1G is preferred. I think his comments about athletics budgets in G5 type money were really revealing. The Big 12’s payout sans OU/UT (no matter which G5’s they add) would be a fraction of our current payout, and Girod knows we have to avoid that scenario if at all possible.

• Officially official. 25-26 wink wink https://twitter.com/SEC/status/1420859403042004997?s=20

• they say start in 2025. - - I don’t think other memebers now that we know for sure , I don’t think the remaining Schools are going to wait until 2025. I think the league dissolves BEFORE then. UNLESS the remaining members go out aggressively and try to add 2 teams 4 teams BEFORE OU & Texas leaves - whatever the case I just can’t see these others staying pat.

We know if W Virginia gets any interest from the ACC - - their gone. - can’t even be sure that if some of these other Schools get invites that they won’t both - -this is now a lame Duck league. I’d rather get this over with /setteled sooner then later. -Our AD and who ever needs to get aggressive and not sit on their hands and get caught with their pants down

• @jayballer67 said in OU, Texas to the SEC?:

they say start in 2025. - - I don’t think other memebers now that we know for sure , I don’t think the remaining Schools are going to wait until 2025. I think the league dissolves BEFORE then. UNLESS the remaining members go out aggressively and try to add 2 teams 4 teams BEFORE OU & Texas leaves - whatever the case I just can’t see these others staying pat.

We know if W Virginia gets any interest from the ACC - - their gone. - can’t even be sure that if some of these other Schools get invites that they won’t both - -this is now a lame Duck league. I’d rather get this over with /setteled sooner then later. -Our AD and who ever needs to get aggressive and not sit on their hands and get caught with their pants down

They absolutely will not wait until 2025 to leave. Just saying the right things until they can get away for really cheap.

• Also, Strong Hall feels VERY good they’ll land in either the B1G or ACC. If I were a betting man, I’d put a couple bucks on the ACC. But scenarios definitely exist for both depending on TV deals.

Also, Strong Hall feels VERY good they’ll land in either the B1G or ACC. If I were a betting man, I’d put a couple bucks on the ACC. But scenarios definitely exist for both depending on TV deals.

Who we talking here Farmer ? - -We talking about possibly KU to the ACC OR B1G - or are we talking West Virginia ?

@FarmerJayhawk said in OU, Texas to the SEC?:

Also, Strong Hall feels VERY good they’ll land in either the B1G or ACC. If I were a betting man, I’d put a couple bucks on the ACC. But scenarios definitely exist for both depending on TV deals.

Who we talking here Farmer ? - -We talking about possibly KU to the ACC OR B1G - or are we talking West Virginia ?

Your Kansas Jayhawks! 0% chance WVU gets even a sniff from the B1G. Academics are not good

Read yesterday that the AAC (American Athletic) was interested in inviting the remaining 8 Big 12 teams. Any credence to that or is everyone just throwing out stuff to get some press?

@jayballer67 said in OU, Texas to the SEC?:

Your Kansas Jayhawks! 0% chance WVU gets even a sniff from the B1G. Academics are not good

You still thinking the Big 10 for KU ?

• @tis4tim said in OU, Texas to the SEC?:

Read yesterday that the AAC (American Athletic) was interested in inviting the remaining 8 Big 12 teams. Any credence to that or is everyone just throwing out stuff to get some press?

The AAC will end up taking whatever Big 12 schools don’t end up in another P5. KSU seems like the safest pick to end up in the AAC (good news for Wichita St. basketball). I also think there’s a decent chance WVU ends up in the AAC considering how many times the ACC has rejected them despite WVU being a pretty natural fit in the conference athletically. Baylor may end up getting screwed as well in all this and forced into the AAC, but they’re a top academic school on the Big 12 (right behind Texas) and they have good to great athletics and supposedly a top half of the league athletic budget, but since it’s a private school they don’t have to disclose that information.

I think Texas Tech, Oklahoma St., and TCU have solid chances of ended up still in a P5.

ACC or Big Ten. I believe whichever decides to jump in the expansion pool first invites KU.

ACC or Big Ten. I believe whichever decides to jump in the expansion pool first invites KU.

That’s my concern…what if neither decides to expand?

• @ICThawk The expectation seems to be premised in the idea that to compete with the SEC for tv money, other conferences will expand, likely to 16 teams. That number offers possibly more rounds of conference playoffs, as well as the chance to create 2 geographical divisions that help reduce travel problems for the teams at the far edges. I have seen pods of 4 mentioned, too. Theoretically, expanding the teams also will provide inroads into untapped tv markets like KC (plus, you know, the real biggies, like Topeka, Hays, etc)

Dunno if those expectations are valid. KU’s weakness in fb may be fatal, but on the other hand the Big Ten may think that giving KU new areas to gin up interest and recruit in could resurrect fb in Lawrence (no huge 4-school Texas based anchor dragging us down).

• @mayjay lol

• @ICThawk A lot can change over the next few years. I think B12 schools need to play hardball with OU and UT about that buyout.

KU absolutely needs to take a couple of steps in the right direction with the Football program. They don’t need to be Top 25 good, but they need to be good enough that KC area people want to watch.

• @Kcmatt7 said in OU, Texas to the SEC?:

@ICThawk A lot can change over the next few years. I think B12 schools need to play hardball with OU and UT about that buyout.

KU absolutely needs to take a couple of steps in the right direction with the Football program. They don’t need to be Top 25 good, but they need to be good enough that KC area people want to watch.

As pissed off at ESPN as Bowlsby is, I fully expect him to make every effort to hold OU and Texas until 2025 just to piss off ESPN.

This round of realignment is different, especially for the Big 10 in that cable sports package subscription numbers are going to less and less relevant moving forward because of cord cutting. The future is going to be digital streaming and KU is in great position in that regard. Jayhawk TV and KU Athletics put out a lot of quality online content and that’s going to make KU much more marketable to the B10 despite the status of football.

• This is what Girod was talking about re: the future of the NCAA. Decentralizing power to the leagues sets the stage for an eventual breakaway. https://twitter.com/ncaa/status/1421203119074156550?s=21

• Just read this article written by Grey Papke. States that the Pac 12 Commissioner is open to expansion and adding possibly remaining schools or schools from Big 12. - - Saying he has received a lot of incoming calls about joining the league.

I guess Big 12 leadership has even tossed around considered about purposing a merger between the Pac 12 & the Big 12 - - Yippee

• @FarmerJayhawk If we were to join the ACC, talk about some ready made basketball rivalries. I think that we’re more likely to join the 10 though.

• Some scuttlebutt KU to the B1G will be done by the end of the week. I’m taking it with a Hutch Salt Mine sized grain of salt.

• @FarmerJayhawk thx for the shout out! Ever been there?

• @Crimsonorblue22 I haven’t! I did the Cosmosphere a couple times which was really cool. It’s on my bucket list though!

Some scuttlebutt KU to the B1G will be done by the end of the week. I’m taking it with a Hutch Salt Mine sized grain of salt.

Enough to make you go Hmmmmmmm though huh Famer ? - You know & I know we ( KU ) can’t afford to just sit back and be passive on this. This thing is REAL - - very REAL , and we sure don’t want to be caught with our pants down. - - The B1G is more likely then not our best option. Geographically wise , and IF this is true let’s just hope we don’t have to match up against the Ohio States - the Michigan’s to much in football lol. - -I think Coach Leipold will be fine BUT let’s be honest having to play those guys and try to be competitive at this point could be ugly - - -real ugly, which in turn could very well have that trickle down effect on the team Moral wise/ confidence wise.

Basketball Wise - - psssst please right - -we will match up with anybody in the B1G basketball wise. would make for some very entertaining games. - -We shall see, I myself think this is ALL going to snowball very quickly. - I just do not think there is any chance in hell this league is still around till 2025. I fully believe that OU & Texas will be playing SEC in 2022 - - cause I think this league will be gone by 2022. just my thoughts. - - the Big 12 days are numbered and they are little numbers -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer67 agree on all points. The B1G West games would be fun: Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska(!), Wisconsin, etc.

• @FarmerJayhawk so this would be when the big 12 breaks up?

@jayballer67 agree on all points. The B1G West games would be fun: Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska(!), Wisconsin, etc.

Would the Big 10 keep it to two division split or would they consider doing 4 team pods?

@FarmerJayhawk thx for the shout out! Ever been there?

Dirty nasty Hutch though. 😲

• @BShark oh, I forgot!

@jayballer67 agree on all points. The B1G West games would be fun: Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska(!), Wisconsin, etc.

Oh ya I could see that. Would be nice - - very interesting/entertaining. I’m ready/already. - Ready to just get this behind us and settle in. Hopefully this is what it comes to , the BiG accepting us into the conference.

Now here is something to mull over in your mind Farmer - -see and hear your thoughts. - It’s been widely said/talked about the most common teams from the Big 12 that would land in the B1G would be KU & Iowa State. - -KU strictly on the Basketball side would be our acceptence to the League & Iowa State because of their Football - I get that , HOWEVER, got to thinking some , now I could be totally off on this but what IF it was KU & Oklahoma State ? - - I actually think Okie State in the long run just might be a better fit then Iowa State. - - Why / , good question it’s just that we know Okie State has a Solid football program always competitive good at times and in the past very good. - Plus their basketball program agree not any super power but yet not really a Dog either -I would say average level. Let’s face it Iowa State flat stunk these last couple of years. Just wondering if the B1G might not want to look at them even ore then Iowa State? - seems like might be more beneficial possibly for them wouldn’t it - - -or not lol what ya think?

@FarmerJayhawk so this would be when the big 12 breaks up?

And the Big 12 is breaking up sooner - - – then later

• @Crimsonorblue22 yes. Theory being the more teams that leave or at least accept invites to other leagues, the faster the Big 12 goes belly up and schools can have a cleaner break. Now is that 2022? 23? I don’t know, but that seems to be where things are headed.

@Texas-Hawk-10 I’d think it depends on if they go to 16 immediately and who #16 is. If it’s Colorado or Virginia, pods make a lot of sense. If they stay at 15, just add us to the West and be done with it.

@jayballer67 I would be floored if either OSU or ISU ended up in the B1G. OSU isn’t an AAU member, and I think probably Notre Dame is the only non-AAU school that the B1G would invite as of now. ISU doesn’t really add much. Iowa would hate it and they don’t add a lot in terms of consistent success to the league.

Oh ya I could see that. Would be nice - - very interesting/entertaining. I’m ready/already. - Ready to just get this behind us and settle in. Hopefully this is what it comes to , the BiG accepting us into the conference.

Now here is something to mull over in your mind Farmer - -see and hear your thoughts. - It’s been widely said/talked about the most common teams from the Big 12 that would land in the B1G would be KU & Iowa State. - -KU strictly on the Basketball side would be our acceptence to the League & Iowa State because of their Football - I get that , HOWEVER, got to thinking some , now I could be totally off on this but what IF it was KU & Oklahoma State ? - - I actually think Okie State in the long run just might be a better fit then Iowa State. - - Why / , good question it’s just that we know Okie State has a Solid football program always competitive good at times and in the past very good. - Plus their basketball program agree not any super power but yet not really a Dog either -I would say average level. Let’s face it Iowa State flat stunk these last couple of years. Just wondering if the B1G might not want to look at them even ore then Iowa State? - seems like might be more beneficial possibly for them wouldn’t it - - -or not lol what ya think?

Oklahoma St. doesn’t fit the academic profile of the Big 10. KU and ISU are the two B12 teams connected to the B10 right now because those are the two schools that fit the academic profile the B10 looks for in potential schools.

Some scuttlebutt KU to the B1G will be done by the end of the week. I’m taking it with a Hutch Salt Mine sized grain of salt.

Are we bringing a hot date or is it just us going?

• @KirkIsMyHinrich Adding KU and Notre Dame would be pretty much a home run for the B1G. Without adding someone like Notre Dame, the B1G can sit back and wait it out. I did see where someone mentioned a KU/MU package to the B1G, and at first I thought it kinda ridiculous, but honestly it’s not that crazy. Both AAU and geographically it makes sense. It would open up another spot in the SEC for OSU or whoever fits best for them. Personally, MU can suck it, but anything facilitates our move to the B1G, I’m down.

• PAC-12 Merger talks happening…

• @Kcmatt7 with us?

• @Crimsonorblue22 Yes B12 P12 merger

• @Kcmatt7 Ku included in that, hmmmm

• Ya I posted about 3 days ago that the Big 2 upper ups were talking about possibility of talking of a merger with the Pac 12

• Ok this has gone from a wisp of smoke to a full brush fire in the last day+ (while I’m grading finals! A holes) and we’re gonna be fine. I expect at minimum KU announcing we’re not going to sign an extended GoR. At most we announce we’re headed to the B1G in 2025.

• @FarmerJayhawk That’s good news, if true. I have heard scuttlebutt about a possible Big12/Pac alliance. That would be fine, as long as we are not part of it. Not onboard Pac12 or AAC.

• I’m cool with a PAC-12 and B12 Merger. And KU being apart if it if that is what happens.

Just don’t want to be in the AAC or outside looking in somehow

• @Marco I think we take the first power offer to come. Can’t risk getting left in the cold.

• https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/1423027095463239695?s=21

Roger Marshall wants a federal investigation