More on NIL

• Just saw where Nick Saban announced that sophomore QB Bryce Young who was a bigtime recruit but has yet to start a game already has over a million dollars in endorsments. And good for him! Football players have to wait until after their junior year to go pro, the NIL rule will be a bigtime game changer for them.

I remember that great running back that Steve Spurrier had at South Carolina Marcus Lattimore, who had a brutal career ending injury his junior year and wasn’t able to legally earn a dime while in school and because of the injury neither did he as a pro. He would have undoubtedly been a great pro had he not been injured, and probably didn’t even need to go to college.

I wonder when that shoe is going to drop, football players asking why they have to go to college for three years? For sure the OAD Rule needs to go away in basketball. Universities have forever been farm systems for the pro ranks, so it is good that players can now finally make some money too.

• @Marco Maurice Clarett tried suing the NFL to enter early and a judge ruled against him. The NFL is a totally different animal than the NBA and an 18 year old kid will never be physically ready for the NFL which is why the NFL has the 3 year rule and it’s been upheld in court previously.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I remember the Clarett thing, saw a good 30 for 30 about him and Tressel, Youngstown Boys.

• I don’t know where to put this but this is classic. I was refreshing myself on the Deandre Ayton crapshow of a recruitment here and then away from here and this quote: “To be honest, I have no comment on that,” Ayton said. That’s right up there with Charles Barkley claiming he was misquoted in his autobiography.

• @Marco said in More on NIL:

Just saw where Nick Saban announced that sophomore QB Bryce Young who was a bigtime recruit but has yet to start a game already has over a million dollars in endorsments. And good for him! Football players have to wait until after their junior year to go pro, the NIL rule will be a bigtime game changer for them.

I remember that great running back that Steve Spurrier had at South Carolina Marcus Lattimore, who had a brutal career ending injury his junior year and wasn’t able to legally earn a dime while in school and because of the injury neither did he as a pro. He would have undoubtedly been a great pro had he not been injured, and probably didn’t even need to go to college.

I wonder when that shoe is going to drop, football players asking why they have to go to college for three years? For sure the OAD Rule needs to go away in basketball. Universities have forever been farm systems for the pro ranks, so it is good that players can now finally make some money too.

Their beef will be with the NFLPA. The Union protects their members and doesn’t care about college kids. The earlier players can come into the league, the fewer jobs for current union members.

• @Marco said in More on NIL:

Universities have forever been farm systems for the pro ranks, so it is good that players can now finally make some money too.

How is something that provides less than 1% of its workers to the pros a farm system?

• @BigBad I mean literal baseball farm systems only have 10% make the pros.

If you just use P5 schools as the sample size I’d guess it is more than 1%

• You all realize that college sports is now over. I’ve been a lurker here. Some have warned of this. When we look back five years from now, we’ll wonder why it was so important for a few players to make money while in college.

We just saw today reports that OU and TX want to move to the SEC. That is to preserve relevance.

It is just dangerous for a basketball school with one of the worst CFB power 5 programs.

Heck its hard to even follow our BB roster now. What a mess.

• @BigBad I wasn’t talking about percentages, but since we’re on that topic what percentage of pro football and basketball players first go to college?

• @Marco What percentage of college football and basketball players played in High School? Is that a farm system for college?

• @HemisphereHawk Would love to hear the reason why college sports are now over just because a few players are getting paid now?

• @Kcmatt7 said in More on NIL:

@HemisphereHawk Would love to hear the reason why college sports are now over just because a few players are getting paid in public now?

Fixed but also yes.

• “Would love to hear the reason why college sports are now over just because a few MORE players are getting paid now?” My edit… lol

• @BigBad not even the same universe, let alone ballbark $ wise. But yes, high schools are factories and or farm systems too. However, they are minors. Once a kid is of age and someone is making millions off of him or her, that adult deserves to make a few bucks too.