Les Miles

• @jayballer67

Another reasoned reply to my knee-jerk, naive fan’s subterfuge. I guess I’ve just had it with this miserable football team. I would be happy with a terrible team. What we have suffered over the past decade is undefinable, inexplicable and indefensible.

My question is: does KU have legal remedy against LSU? If they covered this up and these incidences could not be found during the vetting process and it ends up costing us recruits, fans, money and wins can all that be quantified into a lawsuit? Clearly we are going to be hurt through another organization’s negligence. Do we have recourse here?

• Also, somewhere David Beatty is kicking back with a cheshire grin.

• @tis4tim said in Les Miles:

Also, somewhere David Beatty is kicking back with a cheshire grin.

I hear Uber is doing better these days so that makes sense

@jayballer67

Another reasoned reply to my knee-jerk, naive fan’s subterfuge. I guess I’ve just had it with this miserable football team. I would be happy with a terrible team. What we have suffered over the past decade is undefinable, inexplicable and indefensible.

My question is: does KU have legal remedy against LSU? If they covered this up and these incidences could not be found during the vetting process and it ends up costing us recruits, fans, money and wins can all that be quantified into a lawsuit? Clearly we are going to be hurt through another organization’s negligence. Do we have recourse here?

That’s likely why Miles is on administrative leave right now so KU can do their own investigation into this situation to determine what their options are in regards to both Miles and Jeff Long.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Les Miles:

So question: what should we do now? Pursue outside candidates, hire an internal interim, or hire a one year caretaker (Jim Grobe, John L. Smith in recent years)?

I heard maybe we should just turn it over to Eargle for the year - I think that are once again facing a huge problem now - -just when you could see the smallest flicker at the end of the Tunnel , at least to put a competitive team on the field. You couldn’t ask for more of a crappy timing for this

We are really gonna struggle to find a even somewhat solid Coach to come try and take over this mess - - - Unless we get that RIGHT HIRE our recruiting is going to make a major hit and set us back again. I think people have to realize even though Les had his head up his ass , alot of the better talent that we were starting to come here was because of Les. True we had/have some pretty decent staff BUT in the end I think alot was the opportunity to play for Les Miles. - -just a real hard kick straight to the Chones. - -I myself really have no clue what I could/would do if I was in that position of authority/position. - Maybe it is best to just hand it to Eargle for this season. Already knows the players , the players know him - - Won’t effect the OC - -well maybe , didn’t Les pretty much be the one to hire him ?

Hell I don’t know what they will do - - I don’t think they have any idea either at this point. -One thing I do know is that BOTH should be shit canned LONG & MILES - -and soon , just a really bad look for the University as if we needed more of that. - -I got a friend that I was talking to that is a KU Alum and he said the way he feels and some others felt Miles should of been let go Yesterday - NOT HAPPY AT ALL

@jayballer67

That I’m not sure about recourse against LSU or not - - my 1st thought is - - I really don’t think there is much of a chance for that , BUT could very very easily be wrong on that might wanna ask someone else about that TexasHawk maybe

• I would try to hire one of your top 2 candidates and if that doesn’t pan out, hire an interim and wait a year to see who shakes loose

• So this did not get out at all? I find that hard to believe

• I suspect the issue for KU is that when Miles was recruited and vetted, he was certainly asked whether there were any improprieties in his coaching background that might jeopardize our program. Miles must not have been honest about the sexual harassment case; I’m fairly certain KU wouldn’t have hired him if he disclosed the offense. If this is true, it seems the failure to disclose the sexual harassment case is grounds for a for cause dismissal.

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Les Miles:

So this did not get out at all? I find that hard to believe

Based on what I’ve seen, it sounds like once the matter at LSU was resolved, an NDA was signed so it’s quite likely KU is trying to figure out where the limits of the NDA extend to. It also sounds like when all that stuff was going on before any settlements were reached, it was very well known what was going on with Les and that LSU AD Joe Alleva tried firing Miles in 2013 over these allegations. It’s also likely KU is trying to find out how aware of that situation Jeff Long was since he was AD at Arkansas at the time. The reason Long may have had knowledge of the accusations was because the Bobby Petrino situation was about a year before the Miles stuff so Alleva may have potentially talked to Long about how they handled the situation at Arkansas.

There’s some speculation on my part at the end there, but AD’s talk a lot so it’s entirely plausible that Alleva asked Long for advice and which could mean Long had knowledge of the accusations when he hired Miles here.

Regardless of the outcome of KU’s own investigation, this is going to be another shit storm of bad PR for KU Athletics.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 interesting 🤔

• @Texas-Hawk-10 how did the whole world of athletics not know? To many people involved.

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Les Miles:

@Texas-Hawk-10 how did the whole world of athletics not know? To many people involved.

Too many people in power looking the other way because they don’t want the skeletons in their closets being exposed as well or just not giving a damn. Probably the same reason Mickey Callaway got away with harassing women for years and the Indians not doing anything about it at the time.

• LSU fought absolutely tooth and nail to keep every detail in that report from coming out. Have it on excellent authority Long didn’t know and wouldn’t have hired Les if he did.

• We for sure have somebody publicly and knowingly lying about this investigation. The lawyer for Miles is claiming that KU officials and Jeff Long were aware of the 2013 investigation at the time Les was hired. Jeff Long is claiming last week was the first the KU was made aware of the investigation.

That means somebody is publicly lying to us about who knew what and when they knew it. After the Beaty debacle, KU is in a no won situation right in regards to how to handle this investigation from a PR standpoint.

If KU had immediately fired Miles and then investigated and found nothing to fire Miles with cause for, it’s a repeat of Beaty except a lot more money on the line. Amd that’s a likely outcome specifically for Miles because LSU determined there wasn’t enough there to fire Miles with cause. Since KU put just Miles on leave, KU is already getting raked by national media for not instantly firing Miles on Friday when the reports were made public.

• If Miles go could KU lose significant number of recruits. What is the likely scenario?

• Better have Tom Herman named HC within a day or two.

LSU fought absolutely tooth and nail to keep every detail in that report from coming out. Have it on excellent authority Long didn’t know and wouldn’t have hired Les if he did.

I dunno but his Lawyer Blasting KU - -saying they knew. - -IF LONG did know then just that much more reason BOTH NEED TO GO and go NOW

• @AsadZ said in Les Miles:

If Miles go could KU lose significant number of recruits. What is the likely scenario?

I’m sure we would lose - - some , not sure how many. I would hope we could retain key commits such as these QB’S would really wonder about our 2022 commits. Scenario usually is a lot of kids will hold out for a bit anyways to see who the new Head Coach is before making a decision – then some others just say NOPE and look else where -usually the case you get a new Coach then times where that new Coach wants to bring in a lot of new staff so that also plays into things also

• It’s been over 7 yrs, he went thru classes. It was LSU’s problem. Leave him here on probation. His daughter follows him everywhere. The only reason it was found was because NCAA was checking into LSU 2016 onward. I don’t like Long!

• If this case was supposedly settled and a non-disclosure was signed, how did any of this get leaked? Are those parties culpable too? It’s times like this I wish I had a more robust knowledge of tort law and law in general so I could better anticipate the fallout.

Still not sure why the media is picking a fight with KU at the moment. Seems like we are the proverbial victim in this scenario. I guess LSU is college football royalty so the powers that be will mercilessly cudgel the court jester. God help us if this drags out indefinitely as the basketball situation seems to be doing. What a mess.

• @COHawk said in Les Miles:

Better have Tom Herman named HC within a day or two.

Hell no I don’t want Tom Herman here. He couldn’t get Texas back to competing with OU annually with the resources he had at Texas, but it’d be realistic to think he could make Kansas competitive when he’d have basically no resources here? Herman is also a job hopper. His 4 year stint at Texas was the longest he’d been at any job in his career so if he did manage any success at Kansas, he’d be gone the next season KU would be back in rebuild mode.

KU needs to go get someone who built a winner at a smaller conference and doesn’t jump at the first better offer he receives. Go look at Coastal’s coach since they’ve beaten us twice now, Appalachian St., Louisiana, Toledo, San Jose St. These are the types of places KU needs to be looking at for a head coach and not a P5 retread.

If this case was supposedly settled and a non-disclosure was signed, how did any of this get leaked? Are those parties culpable too? It’s times like this I wish I had a more robust knowledge of tort law and law in general so I could better anticipate the fallout.

Still not sure why the media is picking a fight with KU at the moment. Seems like we are the proverbial victim in this scenario. I guess LSU is college football royalty so the powers that be will mercilessly cudgel the court jester. God help us if this drags out indefinitely as the basketball situation seems to be doing. What a mess.

The media is ripping KU because KU didn’t immediately fire Miles once the investigation became public because the stuff he’s accused of is one of the hot button social issues the media is all over right now.

From what I can tell, KU is handling this exactly the way they should be at this point of doing their own due diligence and investigating everything to determine what action KU wants to take and what KU can legally take right now.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Les Miles:

The media is ripping KU because KU didn’t immediately fire Miles once the investigation became public because the stuff he’s accused of is one of the hot button social issues the media is all over right now.

Knowing the fickle media, if KU had fired Miles on the spot they would have ripped this institution for that as well.

I agree with you there needs to be a discovery period for this stuff. Many future dominoes are set to fall based on the circumstances here. It is best to perform due diligence. Yet, time is of the essence as well. Squaring those two things is never easy. Still, these ratings bonanza show trials in the news and on social media need to stop.

@COHawk said in Les Miles:

Better have Tom Herman named HC within a day or two.

Hell no I don’t want Tom Herman here. He couldn’t get Texas back to competing with OU annually with the resources he had at Texas, but it’d be realistic to think he could make Kansas competitive when he’d have basically no resources here? Herman is also a job hopper. His 4 year stint at Texas was the longest he’d been at any job in his career so if he did manage any success at Kansas, he’d be gone the next season KU would be back in rebuild mode.

KU needs to go get someone who built a winner at a smaller conference and doesn’t jump at the first better offer he receives. Go look at Coastal’s coach since they’ve beaten us twice now, Appalachian St., Louisiana, Toledo, San Jose St. These are the types of places KU needs to be looking at for a head coach and not a P5 retread.

Chadwell said no to Tennessee, Napier turned down Auburn and Mississippi State, App State’s coach is likely a lifer there (and he’s their third in 3 years). Candle from Toledo would be a good hire.

Key thing is getting through this year and keeping the roster in tact. We finally have a real foundation to grow from and a bunch of defections would set us back years. I would hire Jones as the interim. Best case, he becomes our Dabo. Gets the guys to play better than they ever have and win 3-4 games, be competitive in most others. Then remove the tag. Worst case he’s way in over his head, but the job is more attractive to an outside candidate come November and December.

I’d look at Herman for sure. Candle would be in that group too, though Matt Campbell’s really built Toledo, Candle to his credit has kept it rolling. Lance Leipold from Buffalo would be a good hire. Add in Willie Fritz, Brent Brennan (SJSU), and Sean Lewis (Kent St) then you’d have real options. Out of that group I think I’d take Candle, Lewis, Herman, Leipold, Fritz respectively.

• Sounds like the ax will drop in the next few minutes

• Yea sounds like it.

Have to think we try to get rid of Long before we are stuck with him for however long our probation is?

• I certainly would. I don’t think you can trust him to make another hire.

Sounds like the ax will drop in the next few minutes

oh dam buddy where you see that at ?> - - Les Miles gone right ?

• Sounds like Petro jumped the gun. Nothing coming out 30 minutes after the announcement was allegedly supposed to come down.

• He gone. Hiring an interim and will look for a replacement.

• What an end to an era

• After everything came out it was inevitable. Didn’t help that the story broke during International Women’s Month.

• https://theathletic.com/2432066/2021/03/08/kansas-is-searching-for-a-new-coach-who-are-the-likely-candidates-feldman/#

Tl;dr: Leipold, Jay Norvell (Nevada), Todd Monken, Mike Neu (Ball St), Willie Fritz, Craig Bohl (Wyoming)

• So after Charlie Weis and Les Miles, have we learned our lesson about hiring big-name coaches ?

• @nwhawkfan said in Les Miles:

So after Charlie Weis and Les Miles, have we learned our lesson about hiring big-name coaches ?

Maybe? I mean if Chris Petersen wants the job you say yes and ask very few questions

• Make damn sure the search committee digs DEEP into these guys’ past

• @nwhawkfan said in Les Miles:

Make damn sure the search committee digs DEEP into these guys’ past

For sure. Tidbit: Liepold would take the job tomorrow if offered

• I hear Andy Reid is interested. Now that he’s got a Super Bowl ring, he’d like a …toilet bowl ring to go with it.

• This honestly may end up working out better for KU. At least there is a recruiting class to salvage. A much more attractive job than it was from the Beaty handoff I would think so there may be a few candidates we can at least get the ear of.

• If you get a chance Matt Tait had a pretty good piece in the LJW. Made some sense , at this point sure the hell might be worth a shot - at this point it can’t hurt us anymore then the way it is now.

He mentioned the possibilty of naming Emmit Jones as the interim Coach. - -been around the program , has a good relationship with the players on the roster, a lot of the players really like him - a lot of the recruits really like him. - He would probably be the best bet right now in trying to keep our roster in tact as much as possible anyways . Give Jones this year with the team while you search for a Coach and hell if he does well Tait said like Brown did for Wichita State did with their basketball program, then you could always remove the interim if they wanted. - I think he might be the answer to what I fear most - -the exodus of the roster if we make that wrong pick then our numbers get shot all to hell again and we go right back to where we was - -Jones would continue some continuity - -like Tait said hell the list of Coaches right now available or willing that would consider coming here ae pretty limited. - - worth a shot.

• Ok so I just wanted to say this. Now I think we all can say ya what happened with Les was the right thing to do , what he did was wrong. Some calling him a nasty old dirty pervert - - -maybe I am not the one to Judge as I don’t think any of us are , there is only only person who is in a position to do that , but not getting into religion. What I wanted to again it was wrong and we had to part ways – Long needs to be next for sure but here is what I’m trying to get at.

I have to appreciate Les to this degree and love what he had to say: Les said in his statement - - that he knows Kansas is in a better pace now then what it was when he got here. most definetly 100000% agree. I don’t think ANYONE can debate that. The quality of players , the players more talented. We were/are getting to talk to kids now because of Les that wouldn’t of even began to think of even returning our phone calls before Les. NO Juco’s -straight High School players - -better high Schools players involved recruiting players against bigger name Schools – that was Les & Staff - -not a Beaty staff.-- he was getting our numbers back in check. Anyone remember in Beaty’s final year - -we had ONE - - ONE player committed to us and the Schools we use to recruit against for players they were GOD horrible. Can’t deny the fact that he for sure upgraded our recruiting and level of talent. - Sure we hadn’t gotten to see the type of results YET but it was coming, you could see spots & times were you could see these players developing we were just so young.

Then he said this in his Statement and I’ll give the best props for doing so : To the players I want you to remember that you came to play for KU and earn a degree here. I implore you to STAY and build on what we started. - - Amen to that. He could of been a complete ass and encouraged players to find other places to go talk all trash on KU - -but he didn’t and for that I have to say THANK you Les. just a bad situation

• Kevin Kane wants the job, and his first choice for OC is Nate Scheelhaase. Rockhurst reunion!

Kevin Kane wants the job, and his first choice for OC is Nate Scheelhaase. Rockhurst reunion!

If this old memory is right , Kevin Kane played for us years back didn’t he ? - -Middle linebacker ? - - probably not right

• @jayballer67 said in Les Miles:

@FarmerJayhawk said in Les Miles:

Kevin Kane wants the job, and his first choice for OC is Nate Scheelhaase. Rockhurst reunion!

If this old memory is right , Kevin Kane played for us years back didn’t he ? - -Middle linebacker ? - - probably not right

Bingo!

• Does Jeff Long survive this situation? 2 of his last 3 football hires have been fired for non football related issues. I don’t trust Jeff Long’s judgement and evaluation skills given his track record.

@jayballer67 said in Les Miles:

@FarmerJayhawk said in Les Miles:

Bingo!

ahhh thanks. - -for some reason I was thinking that might be the case

Does Jeff Long survive this situation? 2 of his last 3 football hires have been fired for non football related issues. I don’t trust Jeff Long’s judgement and evaluation skills given his track record.

they need to put him on the very next train - - - OUT

• I would have zero issue with Kane. And a legacy hire might be what we need.

Because you know if someone turns this program around at all they will be a hot commodity.

• Les Miles and KU parted ways for a 1.9 million buy out