Dave is coming on , getting better game by game.

• Have mentioned this throughout the year , but when they asked Coach who had made the most improvement during the off year, Coach responded and said David McCormack without a doubt - - no doubt about it.

Had people doubting that as Dave struggled early, slow to come around, but he has gotten better as the year has gone on. - There has been times if it wasn’t for him we would of been screwed, think some people not looking in the right places, not flashy by any means , not dominant by any means but just has become a steady guy.

Some things about this Dave is getting the least minutes of any of the Starting 5. - - Dave is only playing 21.9 minutes per contest YET , he is averaging 13.o ppg 2nd best production behind Agbaji - He is Averaging 6.1 rpg not the best by any means coudl kick that up to say at least 8 - -8.5 per but still not punk either. Dave has the best shooting % on the team at 48.9 % 3rd best free throw shooting % 80.5 which is pretty dam good for a big man and seeing as how he has the 2nd most attempts for the team , good to see him be able to step up and knock down the free points. - - Dave leads the team in blocks with 23 so overall, not as bad as some think. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Dave is Dave… he has a particular skill set and has improved his game considerably since becoming a Jayhawk. He still has some key flaws… mostly… his lateral motion needs vast improvement (footwork). But he never came in here and claimed to be the next Doke. The struggle we have with Dave is he followed right behind a legendary player at his position. I can think of plenty of past Jayhawk teams where we would show a lot more thanks to a guy like Dave if we had him then.

I am very glad we have Dave!

A big part of Dave’s success relies on our offense being able to get him the ball in the right place at the right time. I think Self is figuring out that another key to maximizing what we get out of Dave is to be selective on his PT. Dave gets plenty of rest and stays fresh… we don’t have to count on him staying out of foul trouble… and we make our opponents adjust several times in a game from guarding the perimeter all out on what is essentially a 5-guard offense, back to a 4-1 odd description of a “hi-lo.”

By the way… I cut my cable, so I won’t be catching a lot more of Jayhawk basketball. I’ll miss games… but I think I can pretty much get a feel for teams just by seeing a little and reading.

• @drgnslayr

One of the biggest adjustments the staff has made with Dave is getting him used to passing out the post/double teams. He’s been making some eye catching ball movement passes lately.

Against good teams Dave needs to play as many minutes as we can give him. The offense doesn’t flow with Mitch in the game.

• @drgnslayr said in Dave is coming on , getting better game by game.:

Dave is Dave… he has a particular skill set and has improved his game considerably since becoming a Jayhawk. He still has some key flaws… mostly… his lateral motion needs vast improvement (footwork). But he never came in here and claimed to be the next Doke. The struggle we have with Dave is he followed right behind a legendary player at his position. I can think of plenty of past Jayhawk teams where we would show a lot more thanks to a guy like Dave if we had him then.

I am very glad we have Dave!

A big part of Dave’s success relies on our offense being able to get him the ball in the right place at the right time. I think Self is figuring out that another key to maximizing what we get out of Dave is to be selective on his PT. Dave gets plenty of rest and stays fresh… we don’t have to count on him staying out of foul trouble… and we make our opponents adjust several times in a game from guarding the perimeter all out on what is essentially a 5-guard offense, back to a 4-1 odd description of a “hi-lo.”

By the way… I cut my cable, so I won’t be catching a lot more of Jayhawk basketball. I’ll miss games… but I think I can pretty much get a feel for teams just by seeing a little and reading.

Very well put & I agree 10000 %. -Sometimes the point I’m trying to bring out don’t get expressed very well as to what I’m actually trying to say. I think at times and me included sometimes , but at times I think Dave get’s critisized un fairly , and i think a lot of that is because of exactly what you said - - - -Because people got spoiled by Doke. So of course a lot NOT ALL but by many expect the same thing as Doke when he was here. - -Like you pointed out - - DAVE IS DAVE - - DOKE WAS DOKE two totally different type of skill set type players. Doke was more Dominant - -powerful player less mobile. - -Dave is not that player Dave get’s sped up but when under control and picks his shots is and has been a quality player. Ther has been multiple times WITHOUT Dave during stretches of a game we would of been screwed. The biggest problem is like you say he followed right after Doke - -a no win situation. Dave is more mobile then Doke - -Dave can at times step away and hit that jumper - - NOT DOKE , Doke was all within 3-4 ft from the basket tops - just not fair for Dave to try and compare.

You phrase it perfect , Dave should be maybe more compared to Landen - -Landen wasn’t dominant either - -Dave reminds me more of Landen at times just steady , maybe Landen rebounded the ball some better but over all defensively , point perduction and such. Yet your right we just or a lot don’t appreciate Dave for WHO HE IS - like you I’m very glad we do have Dave. If we don’t get that far in the tourney , D Dave will be the easy target for a lot of People - -believe me if we don’t get that far in the tourney - - it won’t be Dave’s fault , he might be part of the reason but a lot less then what some will want to blame him for. Same goes for Marcus if you really want to get to it. People love to find faults and ignore the positive - talking about Garretts ball handling he was put into a position that was an un natural spot for him - -people need to remember that Marcus just happens to be the NATIONAL defensive player of the year. All of these kids contribute positive things to the team in some form or another. - We just need to step back and appreciate these guys efforts that they DO – DO. - -rock chalk all day long baby

• I think boxing training would help Dave with his footwork. And better footwork would help a lot of areas of his game. In boxing, proper footwork is important for utilizing your body to generate power, as well as for movement and positioning. Unfortunately, it can’t teach him how to make a lay-up. I don’t know how to help him with that. Maybe transcendental meditation.

• Soccer might help as well. I know Joel played/plays soccer, and he has some of the best footwork in the NBA.

• Huge improvement in conference alt text

2012 TRob basically alt text

• @KirkIsMyHinrich said in Dave is coming on , getting better game by game.:

Soccer might help as well. I know Joel played/plays soccer, and he has some of the best footwork in the NBA.

Embiid and other African players footwork does usually come from soccer, but Dave won’t ever get there because he didn’t grow up playing the sport from an early age and playing for about 10 years before discovering basketball.

• @BShark Fascinating chart. What jumps out to me the most is Christian Braun is under-used. The upper left part of the chart is where you have a high offensive rating but low usage. Christian is up there with Brady, Travis, and Tyrel. We’ve seen him have some good games, but he needs to be consistently more aggressive on offense. We need it.

• @tundrahok He is an unselfish player who has a nose for the flow of the game, but he definitely needs to shoot more.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich

Soccer, boxing, dance lessons… anything to help him connect his mind to his feet.

• Dave has come a long way. Keep trucking Dave. Go, Dave, Go!