Dearmon

• Is an early candidate for jobs at UL-Monroe and Arkansas State. Might have to do an OC hunt this offseason. Again.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Dearmon:

Is an early candidate for jobs at UL-Monroe and Arkansas State. Might have to do an OC hunt this offseason. Again.

Dam hope not. - -there might be some de-commits or transfer if that happens. - -That and me personally was kind of hoping he would remain like the mad hatters understudy and then when Les retires he would be the lead for our next Coach.

I know some people might not like that because the offense was weak - -BUT our O-line was weak and that’s not on him - -we basically ha no QB or consistent QB, if you get him better QB protection and I think things would look different. - -I think he could be very creative in his play calling if he has the personel. - - hope he stays

• New one: due to family reasons, he may end up taking the OC job at Middle Tennessee. Worth noting this is exclusively a family choice. If Dearmon were choosing in a vacuum he’d stay without even considering.

• And now confirmed

• Very unfortunate

• Do we have a guess on the impact this will have on recruiting with signing day around the corner? Are we expecting any last second defects?

• Garfield Lawrence already out. Only one that might waffle is Kam Grays. He and Dearmon were tight because of their Alabama ties. Chevis is going to have to close on that one. It will be interesting to see if anyone wants out of their LOI or transfers. Too early to tell on that front.

• Ed Warinner seems to be the frontrunner as of now.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Dearmon:

Do we have a guess on the impact this will have on recruiting with signing day around the corner? Are we expecting any last second defects?

Dammit - -I hate that dam - -my guess is we could lose a couple myself - just a guess

Ed Warinner seems to be the frontrunner as of now.

He wants the job. Badly. Don’t overthink this, Les.

• Appears Mike Debord is the guy. Jobs of note: Michigan OC 97-99, 06-07, CMU HC 00-03, Tennessee OC 15-16, IU OC 17-18. I don’t love it, don’t hate it. Just meh.

• @FarmerJayhawk ME. Armchair coach 1966 - present. Have never lost a game coaching from my couch. And I work cheap.

• Debord has a national title as an OC, coached Tom Brady, and has NFL experience with the Seahawks and Bears. Those aren’t bad selling points to trot out for recruits. Bummed it wasn’t Warinner, but this isn’t a terrible choice.

• His offenses at Tennessee were pretty good. And they took an absolute dump after he left. Dropped 70(!) spots in total offense from 16 to 17.

• This is getting some good play in the coaching world. Debord still is highly respected in the industry.

This is getting some good play in the coaching world. Debord still is highly respected in the industry.

Been hearing some off local media about how is 64 years old and how he will be able to connect with these kids, also they were saying how everywhere he has went the people hated him, saying Tennessee hated him , Michigan hated him - - hey don’t shoot the messenger just going off what I’m hearing on local media , I can’t judge I know NOTHING about the guy lol.- - Talking about how they thought KU should of went after someone younger like Dearmon’s age again I dunno , the media wondering if KU even actually tried or they said Miles just saying HEY I’ll just call my old buddy. Me ?- -I’ve got to see how things work out before I judge the guy hell I don’t care if he is 85 if he can get something done

• @FarmerJayhawk DeBord is also the one who helped develop Peyton Ramsey at Indiana and laid the groundwork for what that offense did this past season.

• Was impressed by his comments today. Especially that he’s going to evaluate what we have, then design the scheme around it. Dearmon seemed fairly inflexible in that regard.

• After listening to this interview , I will say obviously the guy sounds pretty what he is talking about , I guess just wondering how he will relate to the players , meaning the age gap. Thing with Dearmon was being younger and being able to connect just curious.

I know it has to be just as frustrating for the players as it is for the Coach’s I mean a lot of these guys came because of Dearmon being the OC , now having to yet learn a different system , offense. frustrating. One thing is picked up on doesn’t really sound like he will be leaning one way or another as far as what type offense were going to be playing, kinda sounds almost like could be like a 50/50 split run and or pass equal could be wrong. Yet he said he wasn’t really or having a distinct offense.

Was ask what was it looked at with what was here coming in at KU ? - -Interesting 1st thing I heard him say was he looked ar the O-Line – technique and such - -got WORK to do for sure with the O-line , talking about RB’S well I think out top priority would/should be BOTH line O -Line and D -Line , really doesn’t matter how good our backs are if our Line can’t maintain a block open holes .

Got to give the guy a chance , hopefully he can get this going our offense was just sad not sure of the yardage per game scoring per game but really low I know. - who knows maybe this guy can get it done, has very nice background as to where he has Coached for sure but this is kansas WERE TALKING ABOUT - Keeping fingers crossed

• Debord’s most recent stint as an OC in the college ranks was at Indiana in 2017 and 2018. In 2017, Indiana was 69th in total offense and in 2018, Indiana improved to 52nd in total offense. In the two years before that in 2015 and 2016, Debord was OC at Tennessee and he took Tennessee from 52nd in total offense in 2015 to 40th in 2016. Tennessee was also 3rd in PPG in the SEC in 2015 and 2nd in the SEC in PPG in 2016 at around 35 ppg each season.

Debord can put together a good offense in a good defensive league. He’s not going to work miracles with KU’s offense because he had Josh Dobbs and Jalen Hurd at Tennessee and freshman Peyton Ramsey his last year at Indiana. He had weapons at QB at those jobs so if KU can get competent QB, Debord can create a solid offense for KU.